Highlighted
Mar 18 2013
By: Matthijs_17 Fender Bender 3484 posts

Keep it simple!

[ Edited ]
28 replies 561 views Edited Mar 18, 2013

I thought it was interesting to look at the additions from Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3 and decide if adding those things actually improved the game:

1) mods

I think when Naughty Dog made mods for this game, they must have thought that it was more customization and people could adjust their weapons to suit their playstyle. Most people don't care for customization, and I don't think mods change the weapons in such a way that it could suit your playstyle, after all, you choose the weapons to suit your playstyle, mods don't change much about that, if someone wants to hide and snipe people they use the dragon sniper, if someone wants to get up close and personal they use the ak47, m9 or kal7, if they want to fight from medium range they use the g-mal or the fal-ss... So, why do we need mods? Indeed we don't. They only cause problems, some mods are overpowered (rate of fire, accuracy), and also between weapons they create balancing issues, and that's annoying if that isn't going to be fixed. So:

- Mods don't improve the game in any way...

2) kickbacks

I think Naughty Dog added those for multiple reasons, first of all they add variety to the game. Secondly, kickbacks are powerful and will give less experienced players a chanche to take revenge on the experienced players. And finally kickbacks reward players for playing with skill. Now this is how it should be of course, not how it is at the moment in Uncharted 3. Adding kickbacks to the game is certainly not a bad idea as you can see, but it requires a lot of balancing too. Kickbacks need a certain amount of medals, which takes time to figure out how much each kickback is worth. Quickboom is obviously to cheap, while creepy crawler is to expensive. Also you get medals for doing anything in the game, while you should be only rewarded for skill, if I run around the map I shouldn't get a medal, also not for hipfiring 5 people to death or steelfisting 3 people to death, people should be rewarded for actions that take skill, for instance stealth kills or kills with a propane tank, but also long rangers, head hunters or killing someone with a thrown back grenade. Because this is not the case some kickbacks can get used over and over again while the user did not deserve all those kickbacks. So:

- Kickbacks are a good idea, but it was not well implemented in the game...

3) sprint

Uncharted 3 should be about traversal, so climbing is important, sprint is not, sprint should be used in games with flat maps in which you need to travel larger distances, in this game it is completely unnecassary, and it creates problems. Running and gunning happens to much, and that is because it's more effective than aiming in this game, sprint makes that even worse because people can close in faster on their opponents, also people who sprint are harder to aim at, people should either climb around the map, or move from cover to cover, not sprinting straight trough everything and everyone until you die. So:

- Sprint is completely useless, it doesn't fit in this game and it causes problems...

4) buddy system

Naughty Dog wanted to make people play more as a team, and created some things for that, let me start with saying that it is  a good idea to reward players for playing as a team, or as a small team of 2 as is the case here. First we have buddy spawning, I think buddy spawning is not a good idea, I think it was implemented in this game because Naughty Dog has some trouble getting usual respawning right. And therefore they gave the player the option to either choose to respawn like usual or with their buddy, but this system isn't really flawless either, I often see people respawn with their buddy while they are in combat, which is unfair for the opponents, or they respawn in a grenade and get killed, or they respawn with their buddy and get shot by a t-bolt who was aimed at their buddy but missed, all in all, it's good to have choice where to respawn, but at least make sure that it works properly. Next is the high-five which is a fun addition, it works like crap because it can't be done if you aren't standing on perfectly flat ground, and now that they added a delay to it because they thought it would fix the airwalk glitch (which it didn't...) it is even more frustrating, it's cool that you get rewarded with a medal for it though, and it's funny to do, it's a good idea but it doesn't work so good. Finally we have buddy boosters, I think those are great, earning 25 percent of the cash your buddy earns, getting a medal from your buddy if he earns 3 medals, and my personal favorite, get your kickback when your buddy makes a stealthkill. This is a great idea like I said, and it works without any flaws, I'm only against for my buddy because seeing players through walls is just not a good idea. So:

- The buddy system is a great idea, it needs some fixes though...

5) power plays

Naughty Dog added power plays to give a team that isn't doing well a chanche at doing better, while the better team gets more cash during those power plays. First of all I don't think that the people in the not so good team would like it if they would win by a power play, where is the fun in that, also double cash for a minute is not so interesting either. Also if you make these things, make sure it is a reasonable advantage, double damage is frustrating and most people are just going to camp, personally I think that camping during double damage is pathetic, but I can understand their reasons for it as well, because double damage is just to extreme, also marked man puts 1 player in a disadvantage, instead of the whole team. Power plays just aren't working, it is frustrating sometimes and it makes matches infair. It would be a better idea to fix the team balancing instead. So:

- Don't add power plays, just fix the team balancing...

6) the tournament

Do I even need to explain this? I don't think so, but here I go anyway. The tournament gives players a chanche to earn certain prizes for getting good scores, so far so good I would say, nothing wrong with that, however, my score gets heavily reduced to almost zero when my team lost the match, now why is that, that doesn't make sense, I am the one using the tickets, so if my team screws me over I get punished for using my ticket, that is not right. Also shouldn't I get less points when I get killed by a teammate. I agree that you can only use tickets when you aren't playing in a party, because else your teammates could aid you in getting a good score, but getting almost zero points when losing is bad idea. What also is a bad idea is that you could buy more tickets, not only does it make me have second thoughts about the reason why this tournament system was added to the game, it also makes the djinn skin (the most difficult reward in the tournament) less special, because it could also be earned by some idiot who spends 50 dollars on tickets. Not to mention all the connection errors, spinning rings, second accounts, team balancing and all the other bad working stuff in general makes this tournament system a joke. So:

- The tournament was only added so Naughty Dog could earn more money, it is not fun, it doesn't reward you for playing with skill, it rewards you for paying money to Naughty Dog, so don't ever include this in a game again, please...

7) block mesh maps

This is a very cool addition to the game, it makes people play the multiplayer longer, it keeps players coming back, I can't say anything bad about it, the only thing I could dream for is that it was a bit more innovative map design, you can take risks with these block mesh maps, so do take those risks. So:

- Block mesh maps, keep them, and expand on them, maybe let people make their own maps, just throwing around ideas, but such things make people keep playing the multiplayer of a game...

8) loadouts

Loadouts give people more choice in what weapon they want to use, and they can choose boosters and kickbacks to fit with those weapons, however I think loadouts are not a good idea, because also this requires a lot of weapon balancing, in Uncharted 2 you just started with the worst weapons and could find more powerful weapons around the map, why not just keep that system and expand on that (don't let weapons respawn each time at the same spot), loadouts causes balancing issues, and if you aren't going to fix that, it makes the game worse. So:

- Loadouts don't make the game better in any way, it only causes more balancing issues, so just go back to basics...

9) online and offline splitscreen

Good idea, but it also suffers from issues, not to mention it causes bad team balancing to be even worse, so make it work if you use it in future projects. So:

- Splitscreen is good to have for those who like it, but make sure that it works...

10) intro maps

To make the multiplayer more cinematic Naughty Dog added intro's to 2 maps, airstrip and london underground, while those were fun ideas, lag caused them to be not so fun. Also they had some bad level design choices like you couln't hang on the side of the train and people fell of constantly, and in airstrip people were going to camp in the main airplane instead of moving from truck to truck. Those reasons make people hate the intro's and they will hardly vote on them. So:

- Intro maps could have been better, it doesn't work very good, if it did work, I think it was worth adding, but it's pretty much broken in it's current state...

So, Naughty Dog, when you make a sequel to a game, make sure that you expand on the things that work, and don't add things that don't make the game more fun, but only creates more issues in the game, this is what seriously made UC3's multiplayer bad, because almost all these things that you added need multiple fixes and you apperently can't provide those fixes, for whatever reason, so just don't do it, keep it simple!

To the community, did I forget anything, did Naughty Dog added other things that were totally not worth it or did they add things that were worth it too? What do you think of all those additions, do you also think most of it is useless or do you disagree with it? Comment below! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 29 (561 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3992 posts

Re: Keep it simple!

Mar 18, 2013
You forgot the intros. Great idea and very fun, new way to play but the lag was so bad so often that they had to make "no intro" versions of the maps.

And for whatever reason (R. Cogburn), they made blindfire super accurate. Higher than any game ever. Bad move.

I agree with all of your other points. I don't mind sprint really, but its truly not necessary in a game with smallish maps and high health.

Message 2 of 29 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Mar 18, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
You forgot the intros. Great idea and very fun, new way to play but the lag was so bad so often that they had to make "no intro" versions of the maps.

And for whatever reason (R. Cogburn), they made blindfire super accurate. Higher than any game ever. Bad move.

I agree with all of your other points. I don't mind sprint really, but its truly not necessary in a game with smallish maps and high health.

added the intro maps additions to the list...

in Uncharted 2 hipfire was also way to accurate, but at least aiming was easy too, in Uncharted 3 aiming is hard, and the aim assist makes it frustrating, therefore hipfiring is way worse in Uncharted 3 Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 29 (524 Views)
Fender Bender
2428 posts

Mar 18, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

9) online and offline splitscreen

Good idea, but it also suffers from issues, not to mention it causes bad team balancing to be even worse, so make it work if you use it in future projects. So:

- Splitscreen is good to have for those who like it, but make sure that it works...

The biggest problem is that the second player has the same level as the first player. If a level 75 legacy 5 plays splitscreen his buddy that never played the game before will be counted as a max rank and another high level player will go to the enemy team and they get another low level. I think the game should count splitscreeners as level 1 players.

Message 4 of 29 (492 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6887 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I won't mind mods so much. I mean things like reload speed and clip size work universally for any playstyle, if mods are kept around the area of those, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Kickbacks are a decent idea as long as they come more balanced, I mean right now we have the useless ones, the defensive ones, and the offensive ones. The useless ones like CC, juggs, explosives, etc. are useless because their medal cost and debilitations are too much and won't get you anywhere really. The defensive ones are good but implemented poorly, many people would rather spawn a weapon that could get them several kills rather than activate a kickback and stop them from dying in that instant. While the offensive ones mainly the PWs and QB are a problem, I wouldn't mind them staying as long as they get a drastic medal increase.

sprint is fine, I wouldn't mind if the mobility was decreased, but I see nothing wrong with it, especially with wonky spawning in the bigger maps. I don't want to slowly stroll across museum to get to a turf only to die and spawn all the way on the other side again and slowly stroll again.

I like loadouts, sure iff they are willing to work on balance a bit more than it would be a great idea. I never really like having to start the same way as everyone else and have to race to the weapon I want that fits my playstyle. Probably why I left UC2 almost instantly. I sometimes want to snipe and since the sniper is only in like 1 spot of the map with limited ammo in classic mode, I can't do it there. Though I can have a loadout pertaining to it and play how I want to play. Like I said loadouts are great and promote variety and if they are willing to work on balance more, I don't see why they shouldn't stay.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 5 of 29 (460 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Mar 19, 2013
HC mode. No mods, no kickbacks, and no power plays. Just you, 4 other guys who played TDM and can't play HC correct versus 5 people who wack and roll even tough it's 3HK.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 6 of 29 (435 Views)
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Mar 19, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

I won't mind mods so much. I mean things like reload speed and clip size work universally for any playstyle, if mods are kept around the area of those, then it shouldn't be a problem.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree, but the problem is, is that it's more than those mods: accuracy, blindfire accuracy and of course rate of fire are not a good idea, they make the weapon itself more effective, and mods should never do that. reload speed, clip size and max ammo are not so bad, but also require more balancing, call out is the only mod that doesn't cause balancing issues... (if that mod is on all weapons, I don't know if it is...)

Message 7 of 29 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6887 posts

Mar 19, 2013

call out is on all long guns and 1 pistol. Not to mention there's a stat hat that gives you call out to all weapons including pistols and PWs. Though idk if its still glitched...

Idk how you can possibly balance clip size, reload speed and max ammo. Along with scope zoom which doesn't give you too much of an advantage.

Message 8 of 29 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Mar 19, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

call out is on all long guns and 1 pistol. Not to mention there's a stat hat that gives you call out to all weapons including pistols and PWs. Though idk if its still glitched...

Idk how you can possibly balance clip size, reload speed and max ammo. Along with scope zoom which doesn't give you too much of an advantage.

While they're working on balancing it, we can just play around in HC mode. Smiley Very Happy

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 9 of 29 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6887 posts

Mar 19, 2013

I never liked HC cuz I couldn't use my M9 RoF.

Message 10 of 29 (385 Views)
0 Likes