Mar 27 2012
By: Toxic156 Fender Bender 4145 posts

Kickback Comparison

35 replies 75 views Edited Mar 27, 2012

First off- this is not going to be the same as tripleWRECK's thread on KBs. Rather, this will be intended as a discussion to evaluate whether or not Kickbacks are equivilant to each other in terms of cost and effectiveness.

1. RPG!!!

- Gives the player an RPG with 1 shot.

Cost- 10 medals.

My thoughts: This is a pretty balanced KB, giving only 1 shot that's sure to kill (or at least knockdown) for 10 medals.

2. Speedy G

- Makes the player move faster.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: Again, a fair KB. This can be used creatively in gunfights for super-speed strafing, tactically climbing up to a sniper nest in seconds, or even being able to run around shotgunning.

3. Explosives

- Gives the player 2 grenades.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: Easily one of the most under-used kickbacks, and for good reason. The effect is null-and-void if you don't have Explosives Expert (note: I don't know if it gives you another 'nade immediately after using 1 without EE). The grenade throwback timer is also a tad too short to make them lethal (but that's another thread) yet they can be used effectively when roll-dropping to confuse the enemy player in CQC. A medal reduction of 1 might make it used more, but I doubt it.

4. Smoke Bomb

- Makes the player vanish in a puff of smoke.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: Basically the same as Southpaw's, TW's & Eugenides- give the player full health when they vanish, and it'd be a lot more helpful. When it works right, it does wonders. Sadly, this is not too often, as it can literally move you a few feet back to where you just were or in front of an enemy. Cost can remain the same.

5. Militia Man

- Gives a clip of ammo, and also negates needed reloads.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: Considering that it can be used with power weapons, this KB has a lot of potential when used. Unfortunately not seen too often, but at the moment it appears to be fine.

6. Cursed Idol

- Causes players in the direct vicinity to become Cursed.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: This is one of those KBs that needs to be used in the right place and the right time to reach its maximum effectiveness. Considering how easily it can be misused, this KB is doing no one serious harm.

7. Quick Boom

- Gives the player a grenade and causes all grenades to explode on contact.

Cost- 10 medals.

My thoughts: Although it's seen a rise in medal cost, this KB is still somewhat popular in UC3. This has already been discussed to death, so I don't want to stir up old emotions. It seems to be more balanced than before while still being dangerous in the right hands.

8. Cash 'em In

- Doubles cash received for 30 seconds.

Cost- 4 medals.

Completely fine, considering that it's strictly meta-game.

9. Sniper

- Gives the player a T-bolt.

Cost- 10 medals.

My thoughts: While I don't, repeat- don't- want to make any claims to this KB being OP, it could use a slight ammo reduction. When comparing this to RPG!!! which only gives 1 kill, I do not think 5 bullets (and up to 5 kills) is completely fair. While it is true that an RPG can be used on multiple people, finding 5 enemies in two feet of each other is difficult. Yet with the T-Bolt, the weapon can be used on multiple enemies for quick and clean kills. I think giving 3 bullets instead will make it on-par to RPG without rendering it useless.

10. Disruption

- Nearby enemies can't see player indicators/arrows.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: This is basically reverse-situational awareness, only it's fair to both the user and the victim. The foe can run out of its range, while the user can follow the victim like a hunter. The limited range limits its effectivness, but I'd much rather have a slightly Under-Powered KB than an OP one. Don't change range or price, it's acceptable as-is.

11. Shottie

- Gives the player a double-barreled shotgun.

Cost- 12 medals.

My thoughts: After ND fixes the "Death from above" medal, this KB will at least take longer to fill up than now. A change to the SAS while at its current price and with only 3 or 4 shells would be great in my book.

12. Carpet Bomb

- Throw 3 grenades at once.

Cost- 7 medals.

My thoughts: Considering how easily grenades can be thrown back, this KB has its uses, but they are somewhat limited. Using it in conjunction with Revenge is a clever idea (kudos to skin n' bones for mentioning that in another thread), and also surrounding a player who's backed into a corner lets it become as terrifying as a 3X fireball enemy in Shade mode.

13. Gotcha

- See all players on-screen.

Cost- 9 medals.

My thoughts: The ultimate SA user-and-abuser KB...surprisingly not seen to often, at least by me. The 30 seconds it lasts make it short-lived, and even with Kickback Endurance kills are not necessarily guaranteed. This reaches its peak when in a party, when one could possibly (literally) call out to teamates the position of their enemies, but outside of that it remains one person's brief birthday gift for a few seconds. If it becomes too used-and-abused, a medal increase would be something I could live with.

14. Cluster Bomb

- Gives a grenade which spawns multiple grenades.

Cost- 10 medals

My thoughts: One of my favorite KBs to use. Although this basically carpet-bombs a whole area, it can be wasted on only 1 or 0 people. Although it's common to see someone use this where people congregrate (Chateau zipline room especially) given the ability to throw it back makes it still possible to avoid. Using my patented "run the **** away" maneuver has also saved my life multiple times. A-o-kay to me.

15. Hammer Time

- Gives the player an M32- Hammer.

Cost- 12 medals.

My thoughts: This is a difficult one to judge, since it's more effective than RPG!!! but also costs (slightly) more. Meh...I can't give stellar opinions all the time.

16. Juggernaut

- Grants temporary near-invulnerability to bullets & grenades

Cost- 14 medals.

My thoughts: Prevent stealth and idol kills when active, and this'll see an increase in users (which is a good thing). The medal cost prevents playes from spamming it while still allowing it to be used 1 or even 2 times a match.

17. Mega Bomb

- Gives a grenade with a huge explosion.

Cost- 10 medals.

My thoughts: Considering the medal reduction, this KB will finally gain more followers. It can be thrown back, and it's also harder to run away from. Protip: use it one Fort trucks for easy Road Rage medals.

18. Creepy Crawler

- Transforms user into spider swarm.

Cost- 16 medals (I think)

My thoughts: Should not allow for accidental or purposeful team-killing. At least add in something to Team Safe's description to prevent this if nothing can be done to the KB itself. A 15 medal cost would make it more bearable...unless if it's already lower than that. There's a lot of potential in this KB, and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Yes, I do know that was a lenghty post. If someone thinks I should add an extra space between sections, tell me and I'll do just that. Likewise, comment on your POV on my POVs or your own thoughts on the subject matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 1 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Kickback Comparison

Mar 27, 2012

I think that the T-Bolt kickback is fine.

Just because it gives you 5 bullets, it doesn't mean that you have 5 guaranteed kills. It only takes one person to blindfire you to death and lose it...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1929 posts

Mar 27, 2012

RPG and Hammer are fine but there is somehting called Explosive Shell Expert

Message 3 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Mar 27, 2012

RIGHT ON MAN!!! This thread is a thousand times better than the other one.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 4 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Mar 27, 2012

If there was quality thread of the day you would get it!

I agree on absolutely everything!

Message 5 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4411 posts

Mar 27, 2012

far-zan wrote:

RPG and Hammer are fine but there is somehting called Explosive Shell Expert

Photobucket My last match was December 31st, 1969 Stat FAIL ND

Yep. That booster shouldnt affect kickbacks imo.

Message 6 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3993 posts

Mar 27, 2012

Good post. I agree with most everything.

Definately think Creepy Crawlers needs a buff. Less medals (14) or extend the duration by 5 seconds for every kill you get.

T-Bolt takes ALOT more skill than an RPG. So yeah some people can get 5 kills with 5 bullets, but not many. RPG is too easy and can get to be really annoying when guys use bargain lvl3 and RPG KB on maps like Chateau or Syria where a 2 shot RPG spawns every 3 minutes. It can be like RPGs only for those guys sometimes. Thats the only reason I don't want a 2 shot RPG for the kickback.

Message 7 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2118 posts

Mar 27, 2012

Creepy Crawler is at 14 medals.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

Mar 27, 2012

Pretty good look at all the of kickbacks.

Lemme clear something up with Explosives. Back when I was using No Weapons and Reduced Grenade Capacity (or w/e it's called), I used the Explosives kickback to give me a better chance. You get 2 grenades regardless of how big your grenade capacity is - I was running around with 4 grenades if I managed to get the kickback activated twice which was awesome! I do think kickback could be 1 less medal or something though.

I agree with what you say about Sniper. I think it could be bumped down to just 3 bullets. We'd probably see more complaints from the people who keep trying to get their T-Bolt clips up on those Best Plays if it does happen, but whatever

For Hammer Time, I'd also say it's a bit tricky to toss up. The RPG has a bigger kill radius than the Hammer, but you only get one shot. With the Hammer, you have a lot more options due to having 4 grenade shells. Sure it doesn't kill in one shot unless someone is weak, but you have a minimum kill potential of 2 kills for the most part. But you can still get multikills, and you can bump up the minimum kill count to 4 kills if you do the old Hammer + Trick. Sure it costs 2 more medals than RPG, but so many more options...

I think Creepy Crawler shouldn't kill teammates although I haven't been TKed by them since November. It's rather easy to deal with if you grenade it though...I dunno. It's more like a niche kickback IMO than a more practical one.

I also think Cursed Idol shouldn't affect teammates. We all know things can get super messy if someone scores a clean throw with this thing across both teams. Perhaps increase its medal count by 2 or something? I'd use this kickback more often if that was the case since I can see it being pretty useful for Team Objective.

I like your idea for Smoke Bomb. I never used it even once, but I'd be mad if I teleported away to get killed in mid-tele or to get killed by the opponents I was escaping from, since I got warped 5 feet away. A full health restoration would give better chances from BS.

And also butts to you about Gotcha users being SA-abusers! >Smiley Surprised I never touched SA once during my time in U2, but I use Gotcha to help me with flanking and positioning for the most part since that's part of my playstyle. But I'm know I'm in the minority here who use Gotcha for something else besides camping behind corners all day, so no worries

Message 9 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3993 posts

Mar 27, 2012

Lazyboy256 said:

" like your idea for Smoke Bomb. I never used it even once, but I'd be mad if I teleported away to get killed in mid-tele or to get killed by the opponents I was escaping from, since I got warped 5 feet away. A full health restoration would give better chances from BS."

I use the Smoke Bomb almost evrytime. It definately helps me escape death, but it will let you down as well. Check out this crazy Smoke Bomb sequence I had about a month ago.

http://youtu.be/QzU2A3qnsSI

Message 10 of 36 (75 Views)
0 Likes