Fender Bender
3332 posts

Re: LAG - We need your help

Dec 8, 2012

I should sort of tell my story on what happened. Well for me, only co-op is playable because any other time I want to play Team Deathmatch, Three Team Deathmatch, Classic, The Lab, Free-For-All, the lag is so terrible I can't even move and I get removed from the game or I just decide to leave because I cant do anything! To be honest though, The Lab is SOMEWHAT playable but it does lag alot but I can move around. Co-op for me doesn't seem affected. I don't know what caused this horrible lag to occur but please fix, beacuse I miss playing online already and I see no other option but to quit.

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 131 of 207 (442 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 8, 2012
Hey there.
Canada
12:00 pm
High speed wireless
Team deathmatch
Last legacy with gold ring 37
Have been having lots of ghosting where the player is laying dead for the match but still out killing while invisible. Also having lots of matches where I'm getting killed with one or two shots while I can have to unload a whole clip to get a kill. LOTS and LOTS of matches where the scores are insane, 14-50, 23-50. I like my stats but they have been taking a beating. Love the multiplayer but this new system of match making isn't working at all. Some days I play a round or too then get slayed and just play a different game instead which sucks cuz this series has been my #1 for years now. Hope this gets fixed, and thanks for such an awesome game.
Message 132 of 207 (439 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3673 posts

Dec 8, 2012
Exactly ^^
Message 133 of 207 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Dec 9, 2012

HeavensLightfire wrote:

I should sort of tell my story on what happened. Well for me, only co-op is playable because any other time I want to play Team Deathmatch, Three Team Deathmatch, Classic, The Lab, Free-For-All, the lag is so terrible I can't even move and I get removed from the game or I just decide to leave because I cant do anything! To be honest though, The Lab is SOMEWHAT playable but it does lag alot but I can move around. Co-op for me doesn't seem affected. I don't know what caused this horrible lag to occur but please fix, beacuse I miss playing online already and I see no other option but to quit.

-> www.speedtest.net

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 134 of 207 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Dec 9, 2012

1) the part of the world you're playing in

2) the date/time your are playing

3) your rank

4) what game type

5) how many players

6) connection type (DSL, cable modem, etc)

7) service provider

North America

Chicago,Illinois

4pm-10pm EST

75 3rd legacy

Cable-modem

Comcast highspeed internet

54.0 Mbps

Message 135 of 207 (392 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Dec 9, 2012

I hardly ever visit these forums or play UC3 anymore.... And it's 100% due to UC3's lag. I saw this topic & felt the need to post, even though I have no doubt at all that NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE ON THIS GAME. The lag is here to stay & I would never expect Naughty Dog to step up at this point & start fixing anything in relation to it. Just being realistic...

1) USA (California)

2) Varied throughout day

2) 75 5th Legacy

4) All

5) 10

6) 50MB Cable/16ms ping to San Francisco 250 miles away, Motorola DOCSIS 3 modem, Linksys E3000, Wired & DMZ'd PS3

7) Suddenlink Cable

To be perfectly honest myself & the MAJORITY of my 85 or so friends that played this game quit completely a long time ago, mostly due to the lag. I am the founder of UCOG, one of the larger UC3 clans with 34 members. However, only a couple of us are still active on UC3 & several went back to UC2. This game had the potential to be an excellent sequel to the best game of all time, UC2. But the lag totally killed the multiplayer right from day one.

I have lobbied for dedicated servers, regional matchmaking, better ping filters, etc since BEFORE the game released. I have also posted extensive information on the past with extremely detailed info on how poorly the matchmaking & ping filters worked on UC3 shortly after it was released. Tap may even remember some of that stuff from my previous posts..... I ran a lot of tests that took an entire day & posted all the results. The thread disappeared mysteryiously, as things sometimes do that Naughty Dog does not approve of. But not until there were around 7 pages of replies about it.

I was trying to push the limits of lag via bottlenecking my connection with low bandwidth & super high pings to see just how bad the game would allow a lagger to remain in game & such. What I found was appauling. 700+ms pings I was still connected fine & teleporting about like someone with an M3X or BRA clan tag. 1000ms+ neigborhood is what it takes to see a connection icon pop up on the screen & maybe a disconnect.

But there was something I found that was even MORE appauling. The poor net code in general. I had my best friend over who is a dev for Epic (Gears/Unreal) & he was laughing & exclaiming how terrible it was as well. I had my 50MB connection & a totally seperate 8MB connection same ISP, same room, with 2 PS3s & TVs. We played some 1v1 custom & he noticed right away how long it took to hear his own gun on my screen. Holding the controller in the air he demonstrated pressing the trigger & it takes almost 3/4 of a second to register that a shot was fired. & we're talking best conditions possible on UC3 - a 2 player game with the host & the peer in the same room, on the same ISP's network with totally sufficient connections, low pings, DMZ, etc etc etc.

ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES FOR THAT, NAUGHTY DOG!

That 3/4 of a second is the difference between you making all the right moves & getting yourself out of a nasty situation when you are about to die, or you still taking damage when you are behind cover or around a corner already. It is UNACCEPTABLE for a competitive multiplayer game.

BUT - That's not all!!!!!! We also found that the matchmaking is SEVERELY broken. Beyond the scope that many of you may even realize. We both were trying to randomly jump into co op, TDM, & 3TDM together by starting the game at the same time. Again, our pings to each other should be as low as anyone's possibly could be with the net situation in my home. Also our levels were very close & there were few people online, so matchmaking was taking awhile. Sounds like a combo that it would throw us in any match we tried this in together, right? WRONG. Instead, & I mean 9 out of 10 times at least, it would NEVER find the other player. You could let it sit there for straight up minutes sometimes even & it would almost always find someone with clan tags, languages & pings that were OBVIOUSLY from 3rd world or other countries, instead of the similiar ranked, super low ping player ready to rock sitting in the same room. Sometimes if 1 player cycled his matchmaking 10 times or so it would connect super quick all of a sudden. TRY THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS & SEE FOR YOURSELF - IT'S A JOKE!

I hope for a couple things out of our UC3 experience. I hope that Naughty Dog has learned to RUN DEDICATED SERVERS IN THE FUTURE. They are still necessary right now, developers..... People's internet is NOT all on level ground across the world & P2P connections simply DO NOT WORK PROPERLY YET. Net speeds & current technology simply cannot handle that architecture consistently enough to rely on it - especially with people using connections for multiple things like your girl watching Netflix on your 3MB DSL while you game.

I also hope you realize that by rushing UC3 when it was not fully completed or balanced & being so greedy by not wanting to spend just a little tiny slice of your millions of $$ in profits on some servers for your AAA game that you touted as the "go-to PS3 Multiplayer Title," along with the decision sell most every item that your most dedicated fans busted their butts for hours to unlock for additional profit (greed) has severely degraded your reputation & credibility as being one of the top modern game devs & therefore, has affected the gamer/consumer's desire to buy your product. Myself & a whole lot of other people I've spoke to that were some of your biggest fans are going to likely hold off on Last of Us on release day.

As consumers, I hope that after UC3 at least some of us realize that as long as we continue to purchase these broken peer-to-peer games & fully, quietly support the developers that produce them, we will always end up with these sub-par half-finished products. If you're just going to purchase the broken game @ the same full price anyway then they'd be happy to sell you that instead. Myself, I will not purchase any more P2P competitive shooter games for the PS3, unless I do not plan to play the multiplayer. The frustration that comes with the type of lag on UC3 for instance defeats the purpose of gaming, as we are all here to have fun & enjoy ourselves!

Hope you enjoyed my speech :smileywink:

Message 136 of 207 (379 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3673 posts

Dec 10, 2012
@SCORPION5150 Maybe the most comprehensive review of Uncharted 3's multiplayer yet. You have nailed it completely. You observed the same things most of us have, you confirmed a lot of my suspicions about matchmaking through in home duel ps3 testing and apparently you have a friend who has inside knowledge of game development witnessing it all.

Thank you for coming back to post this. I hope Naughty Dog sits up and takes notice. And maybe, just maybe they make some sort of fix before this game is abandoned.

Wake up ND! No one has any faith in your ability to privide a good mp experience! You got our money, now invest in your product. I only want to play U3, but you guys have made that **bleep** near impossible!
Message 137 of 207 (350 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Dec 10, 2012

Bravo SCORPiON5150! Bravo!!!! You hit the nail on the head why I can't stomache to play UC3 anymore. Naughty Dog needs to invest in dedicated servers for all their future multi-player games or I'm not buying them. They showed great potential with UC2 but squandered it all with the broken laggy mess that is UC3.

Message 138 of 207 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1429 posts

Dec 11, 2012
First I would like to thank scorpions150 for his awsome review, you indeed nailed it.

Ok here we go:

1) The Netherlands
2) 3 - 10 pm GMT +1
3) 63 4th legacy
4) TDM , Classic, TO and Elimination
5) 8 - 10
6) Cable glassfiber
7) Sitecom 50 Mb / s

Message 139 of 207 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Dec 20, 2012

San Diego California ~ Best place in the world js~ 

3PM 

3rd Legacy level 3. 

TDM

10 players

Cable Modem

Coxx 

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Message 140 of 207 (207 Views)
0 Likes