Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1848 posts

Re: Let's Break It Down: Building a Better Uncharted - Part 1

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

Naughty Dog must have made all these design decisions in UC3 for a reason?

From a purely business angle it makes complete sense.

Create a multiplayer game that:

1) Caters towards a wider audience

2) Takes out the importance of skill and replaces it with game mechanics that artificially create the sense of accomplishment, which will hook a larger group of players to keep playing.

3) Make it fun to play, which they did achieve imo.

4) Have a stable platform for micro-transactions. Constant revenue with minimal resources required to sustain it. 

I don't feel like Naughty Dog views the Uncharted multiplayer on any other level than this. 

The amount of time and resources put towards actually improving the core of the multiplayer was heavily outweighed by money making schemes. From the FH scam to the tournament system, Naughty Dog hasn't shown any incentive in changing their main focus.

They still make great games but I personally don't see the point in trying to help in a discussion to improve the core of Uncharted, when the company views their multiplayer as primarily a cash cow.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Message 11 of 64 (323 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4825 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

It's a long post so I could only skim read what you have wrote. I'll go over one point I agree with.

Yes the KAL-7 should not have been a blindfire weapon, heck it's inconsistent with the SP. In the SP the KAL-7 was useable and fun. In MP on both competitive and especially co-op it's a joke. Recoil should not be ridiculously high, the blindfire should not be ridiculously high. It should be aim-able. Heck lower the rate of fire too.

In co-op I hardly see anyone using the KAL-7. It's useless against tougher enemies in comparison to the AK, M9 or heck even the G-MAL.

The aim-mechanics overall are poor. Mainly due to the recoil making it too hard for people to aim, as a result it's easier just to blindfire then to aim their gun. If you want to make it easier for people without resorting to blindfire. Make it easier to aim.

The recoil on the M9 is almost little to none hence why a majority of people use that gun. It shouldn't be that way.

UC2's aim mechanics features very little recoil and is enjoyed by nearly everyone.

There is a line between fun and realistic. While it is realistic to have recoil across all the guns it hampers the ability for people to aim and be skillful. As a result it is not fun for people.

Message 12 of 64 (314 Views)
Last Guardian
11105 posts

Apr 25, 2013
I'm just here hoping for ND to make blindfire less(way, waaaay less) effective in U4. And fix party splits. That's all i wish. Oh, and Wetsuit Elena. :smileyhappy:
Message 13 of 64 (289 Views)
Wastelander
554 posts

Apr 25, 2013
^This

Recoil should be lowered on the G-Mal, the AK & Kal, make people use the other weapons in the game, i love the AK, but with that stupid recoil that bounces all over the place, i prefer the M9 :smileysad:

I like cats :3

Message 14 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Great post squiid! This, IMO, is the only way in which the forums could be useful any more. I hope this thread/idea/series doesn't die. 

Weapons (which I'm assuming is the topic of this rather rambly post :smileytongue:)

I like the more complex, in depth, style of UC3 over UC2, as well as the faster pace. I think if ND removed the loadouts and just customization in general, they would have taken a large step backwards. UC2 was an enjoyable experience, but I don't think it's what's good for the future of Uncharted games. And I don't think ND will go back to it either. People see the problems with UC3 and think that the format was bad. NO WAY BRO! The execution was bad, the faster pace and customization (characters and loadouts) was, IMO, a HUGE step forward. Only, ND ended up tripping mid-way through that step (pardon the poor analogy).

For the future, I think ND needs to embrace the more competitive/shooter style game over the "let's just screw around in this joke of a game" style game. Don't ditch the mechanics and make it another CoD. NO!!! Take the time, and potential from UC3, to make a balanced, competitve, but distinctly UNCHARTED style game. As soon as ND does this, then they'll win back my approval. Key details: COMPETITIVE, but still UNCHARTED. Those should not be mutually exclusive. 

Maybe I should clarify what I mean by "competitive" and "Uncharted." Currently, IMO, uncharted 3 isn't even close to being competitive. The biggest culprit of this, I think, is because it caters to noobs WAY too much. Second would be a lack of balance in the basic mechanics of the game (shooting, blindfiring, map design, cover, weapons). ND needs to take their own game seriously, by making decent mechanics, before the franchise can grow.        And the "uncharted" style. Mainly the high-health, moderate mobility, and platforming (obviously third person too) of both Uncharted games (except for mobility in UC2). I've seen a lot of people say that there is just something about this game that keeps them coming back and I feel it too. I don't know what it is, but ND definitely needs to retain it in future games.

I think more weapon diversity would be good. But first, like I've said before, ND needs to spend the time to balance. They need to try to make their game competitive, and not just rely on the platforming because it's now also a shooter. This is just a difference in mindset. With an "odd ball" themed DLC, it's pretty easy to see that ND doesn't take this game seriously.

Anyways that's a long post, I'll be done now. :smileytongue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Message 15 of 64 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Apr 26, 2013

renatabls wrote:
I'm just here hoping for ND to make blindfire less(way, waaaay less) effective in U4. And fix party splits. That's all i wish. Oh, and Wetsuit Elena. :smileyhappy:

And less Microtransactions or Free Maps + Microtransactions.

Message 16 of 64 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10073 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

renatabls wrote:

HC mode.

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 17 of 64 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Apr 26, 2013
^The mode everybody and there mothers hated before Classic Mode took it's spot?

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 18 of 64 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Apr 26, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

renatabls wrote:

HC mode.

time to start that 'Bring back HC for UC4' petition.:smileylol:

Message 19 of 64 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10073 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

renatabls wrote:

HC mode.

time to start that 'Bring back HC for UC4' petition.:smileylol:

And watch it get bomarded by "CLASSIC IS BETTER" crap? Nah.

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 20 of 64 (232 Views)
0 Likes