Welcoming Committee
13525 posts

Re: Let's Break It Down: Building a Better Uncharted - Part 1

Apr 26, 2013

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

Naughty Dog must have made all these design decisions in UC3 for a reason?

From a purely business angle it makes complete sense.

Create a multiplayer game that:

1) Caters towards a wider audience

2) Takes out the importance of skill and replaces it with game mechanics that artificially create the sense of accomplishment, which will hook a larger group of players to keep playing.

3) Make it fun to play, which they did achieve imo.

4) Have a stable platform for micro-transactions. Constant revenue with minimal resources required to sustain it. 

I don't feel like Naughty Dog views the Uncharted multiplayer on any other level than this. 

The amount of time and resources put towards actually improving the core of the multiplayer was heavily outweighed by money making schemes. From the FH scam to the tournament system, Naughty Dog hasn't shown any incentive in changing their main focus.

They still make great games but I personally don't see the point in trying to help in a discussion to improve the core of Uncharted, when the company views their multiplayer as primarily a cash cow.

I got **bleep** from an employee within Naughty Dog for pushing competitive side so hard because "it's a waste of time". 

Wait, an ND employee actually said that?? I hope ND can actually get serious with Uncharted 4. Or would they? 

@Pete, that was on point. & Who said that? 

If an ND employee actually did come up with those, they are more out of touch than I originally feared.

You cater to a wider audience? cool okay. But you don't do it by sacrificing elements of gameplay which sends other players away thus creates a smaller audience than you would have had if you had just made a game function correctly.

Taking away the element of skill, will only bring in the unskilled, the skilled players will lose interest. So they are back to square one on that one too.

Fun? Once again taking away gameplay elements takes away fun, I don't enjoy being circled and melee'd continuously. It's not fun.

Micro Transactions and revenue.. Well I don't like it.. But it's business so I get it and I actually wish I didn't understand it.

Message 51 of 64 (241 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

2) Takes out the importance of skill and replaces it with game mechanics that artificially create the sense of accomplishment, which will hook a larger group of players to keep playing.

4) Have a stable platform for micro-transactions. Constant revenue with minimal resources required to sustain it. 

I don't feel like Naughty Dog views the Uncharted multiplayer on any other level than this. 

The amount of time and resources put towards actually improving the core of the multiplayer was heavily outweighed by money making schemes. From the FH scam to the tournament system, Naughty Dog hasn't shown any incentive in changing their main focus.

They still make great games but I personally don't see the point in trying to help in a discussion to improve the core of Uncharted, when the company views their multiplayer as primarily a cash cow.

I got **bleep** from an employee within Naughty Dog for pushing competitive side so hard because "it's a waste of time". 

Wait, an ND employee actually said that?? I hope ND can actually get serious with Uncharted 4. Or would they? 

If an ND employee actually did come up with those, they are more out of touch than I originally feared.

You cater to a wider audience? cool okay. But you don't do it by sacrificing elements of gameplay which sends other players away thus creates a smaller audience than you would have had if you had just made a game function correctly.

Taking away the element of skill, will only bring in the unskilled, the skilled players will lose interest. So they are back to square one on that one too.

Fun? Once again taking away gameplay elements takes away fun, I don't enjoy being circled and melee'd continuously. It's not fun.

Micro Transactions and revenue.. Well I don't like it.. But it's business so I get it and I actually wish I didn't understand it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Shut down UC3 servers.

Re-support UC2.

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Message 52 of 64 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13525 posts

Apr 26, 2013

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Shut down UC3 servers.

Re-support UC2.

Won't ever happen, but it would make me so happy,

Message 53 of 64 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

Shut down UC3 servers.

Re-support UC2.

:smileysad: Atleast re-support UC2? 

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Message 54 of 64 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13525 posts

Apr 26, 2013

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

Shut down UC3 servers.

Re-support UC2.

ND barely support UC3.. Lol

I know someone is going to get on my case about "They did it for 2 years, they didn't have to blahblahblah"

I don't even know if I want them to support anything, the shutting UC3 down thing would rock because people would have to go back to Uncharted 2... But everytime they "patch" something, they make it worse, apart from the colors thing... But I'd argue that I had more back in the summer beta so it's still not an improvement.

Message 55 of 64 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2178 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

sQuiiDx wrote:

PeteX19 wrote:

Shut down UC3 servers.

Re-support UC2.

ND barely support UC3.. Lol

I know someone is going to get on my case about "They did it for 2 years, they didn't have to blahblahblah"

I don't even know if I want them to support anything, the shutting UC3 down thing would rock because people would have to go back to Uncharted 2... But everytime they "patch" something, they make it worse, apart from the colors thing... But I'd argue that I had more back in the summer beta so it's still not an improvement.

Well I will agree that ND has messed up alot of this games "patches" but they still have fixed some things like Quickboom, the Fal, the jumping double barrel auto-aim etc.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Message 56 of 64 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

Apr 26, 2013

I'm sad at the lack of Classic love :smileysad:

It's pretty much the only mode I play now.

Anyways, I read your whole post Squid. I really like what you have to say. I do believe that we shouldn't have many starting weapons, but I also believe we should have weapons out there...pretty much just like U2. There's an awesomeness in being able to swap a weapon out with one you find to suit the situation better. I feel it also enhances map knowledge and map exploration.

Put some nice weapons in some spots and people will actually learn and traverse the map(!) to get them. No, I'm not talking about power weapons. I'm talking about guns like the M4 where they were not quite power weapons but performed a little better than starting weapons.

With that said, I'll be fine if U4 will still have loadouts, but I'd still like to see normal weapons out there on the map. Of course, if they keep mods in, these guns won't have mods. They should be there for situational switches...if you want some unique guns, you then get it off someone. But when I think about it, the whole idea seems redundant. Oh well.

Alright, I'm with the past few posters. Support U2 again and revert the game mechanics back to 1.04, while fixing up stupid glitches and whatnot :smileytongue: I'll be back in a heartbeat if that were to happen.

Message 57 of 64 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
541 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Lazyboy256 wrote:

I'm sad at the lack of Classic love :smileysad:

It's pretty much the only mode I play now.

Anyways, I read your whole post Squid. I really like what you have to say. I do believe that we shouldn't have many starting weapons, but I also believe we should have weapons out there...pretty much just like U2. There's an awesomeness in being able to swap a weapon out with one you find to suit the situation better. I feel it also enhances map knowledge and map exploration.

Put some nice weapons in some spots and people will actually learn and traverse the map(!) to get them. No, I'm not talking about power weapons. I'm talking about guns like the M4 where they were not quite power weapons but performed a little better than starting weapons.

With that said, I'll be fine if U4 will still have loadouts, but I'd still like to see normal weapons out there on the map. Of course, if they keep mods in, these guns won't have mods. They should be there for situational switches...if you want some unique guns, you then get it off someone. But when I think about it, the whole idea seems redundant. Oh well.

Alright, I'm with the past few posters. Support U2 again and revert the game mechanics back to 1.04, while fixing up stupid glitches and whatnot :smileytongue: I'll be back in a heartbeat if that were to happen.

I play a lot Classic nowadays, just because it's the only way to avoid all the kickback spamming, as well as the BS Powerplays. It shouldn't have replaced HC, though :smileysad: I used to have some serious fun with HC...

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 58 of 64 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16305 posts

Apr 27, 2013

Not sure what good any of this would do other than let people nod their heads at one another: yep, that's what I said, too.  Yep, I want that, too.

Even when they knew, from U2.1.09, how improved the game experience was when the incentive to simply kill was removed from Plunder, they reset to make farming a viable gameplay mode in UC3.

Even though parties have split since Uncharted 2, they never fixed it.   Even though treasure chests have displayed un-takeable treasures since the very first beta, they still haven't fixed it.

It's possible to make teh game more competitive by tweaking the game settings in Custom mode.  If so, why on earth would they make such a demanding skillset for play part of the standard online model?   When the game sells 5 Million plus copies, why on earth would they change the game to potentially rule out casuals?  
Who has a business model based on reducing the customer base?  Who intentionally trades respect from the hardcore gamer for cash potential?

Well... not many companies I can think of.   Lobby all you want for possible sliders, settings and maps for the custom gaming scene.    I don't see how you're going to convince the company to change the general version of the game into a hardcore competitive standard.   If you alter the game so that the best players no longer go 15-5 but they go 19-1, and the losses pile on the poorer players, you're going to lose business, players, interest, duration of interest and DLC sales.

Not.  Going.  To.  Happen.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 59 of 64 (160 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Apr 27, 2013

scootgar wrote:

Not sure what good any of this would do other than let people nod their heads at one another: yep, that's what I said, too.  Yep, I want that, too.

Even when they knew, from U2.1.09, how improved the game experience was when the incentive to simply kill was removed from Plunder, they reset to make farming a viable gameplay mode in UC3.

Even though parties have split since Uncharted 2, they never fixed it.   Even though treasure chests have displayed un-takeable treasures since the very first beta, they still haven't fixed it.

It's possible to make teh game more competitive by tweaking the game settings in Custom mode.  If so, why on earth would they make such a demanding skillset for play part of the standard online model?   When the game sells 5 Million plus copies, why on earth would they change the game to potentially rule out casuals?  
Who has a business model based on reducing the customer base?  Who intentionally trades respect from the hardcore gamer for cash potential?

Well... not many companies I can think of.   Lobby all you want for possible sliders, settings and maps for the custom gaming scene.    I don't see how you're going to convince the company to change the general version of the game into a hardcore competitive standard.   If you alter the game so that the best players no longer go 15-5 but they go 19-1, and the losses pile on the poorer players, you're going to lose business, players, interest, duration of interest and DLC sales.

Not.  Going.  To.  Happen.

:smileysad: re-support UC2, that would just fix everything for competitive players. 

Message 60 of 64 (125 Views)
0 Likes