Highlighted
Jan 15 2013
By: Richard_X Hekseville Citizen 347 posts

Match broke my Blu-ray disc reader

[ Edited ]
47 replies 628 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

I was playing a classic match on chateau. Suddenly a lag spike happened and I could not hear any grunts from characters. When the match ended, my ps3 froze so I turned it off. However it would not turn off after waiting a few mins so I unplugged my ps3 power outlet, waited a bit, plugged it back in, and turned on the ps3. Now my ps3 can't read any Blu-ray disk, whether it be a movie or game. My PS3 is also a slim from when they first came out.

Thanks naughy dog for not bothering to fix your buggy as hell game. huge lag spikes, dead body glitch, people can still float in the air while holding grenades, all these problems have existed since either Uncharted 2 or during the first Uncharted 3 beta, showing naughty dog rushed development of this game.

weird thing is it still reads DVDs but not any Blu-ray disks. meh.

Message 1 of 48 (628 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Match broke my disc reader

Jan 15, 2013

It was coincidental. Your Blu-Ray lens was probably too old (the first Slim came out 4 years ago).

You can either fix it yourself with a replacement lens or wait for UC3 F2P...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 48 (625 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1505 posts

Re: Match broke my Blu-ray disc reader

Jan 15, 2013
You got it backwards. Your disc reader crapped out first, which caused your match to screw up.

How on earth could you think an online match could do physical damage to your PS3's hardware?
Message 3 of 48 (603 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Richard_X wrote:

weird thing is it still reads DVDs but not any Blu-ray disks. meh.

That's because there are 2 separate lenses in Slim models: one for Blu-Ray discs and one for CD/DVD.

They are dirt cheap these days ($20-40). Search for KES-450, KES-460, KES-470 (depending on your Slim model) on Ebay.

If you cannot replace it yourself, then you'll have to pay a technician to do it for you, so it will cost you a bit more.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 4 of 48 (593 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Uncharted kills PS3's, it's a fact Smiley Tongue

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 5 of 48 (587 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2428 posts

Re: Match broke my disc reader

Jan 15, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

It was coincidental. Your Blu-Ray lens was probably too old (the first Slim came out 4 years ago).

You can either fix it yourself with a replacement lens or wait for UC3 F2P...

Exactly the answe I would have gaven. Someone's PS3 breaks while playing Uncharted and he blames Naughty Dog for not fixing glitches that got so aggresive that they hammered his blue-ray reader. Logic ftw...

Message 6 of 48 (580 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Richard_X wrote:

Now my ps3 can't read any Blu-ray disk, whether it be a movie or game.

Wow that sucks. :/

Message 7 of 48 (575 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

shadowlibraboy wrote:
Uncharted kills PS3's, it's a fact Smiley Tongue

It's a conspiracy! Smiley Very Happy

Uncharted's streaming/loading code is shoddy (spinning dagger/ring syndrome), granted, but it could never kill a Blu-Ray lens if it wasn't old in the first place...

The same can be said for YLOD incidents.

Message 8 of 48 (569 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Smiley Tongue
Don't worry I know that tap I was joking Smiley Happy
It does freeze a lot though which can't be good for the system Smiley Wink

But I don't think it would kill a perfectly fine reader, maybe it would finish a reader that is about to die [FATALITY!] Smiley Tongue
I don't study disc readers though so I'm probably wrong xD

@Richard_X : try tilting your ps3 when putting the disc in, it might read the disc and work; that is what I have to do.

Maybe I'll make a YouTube video on how i get my PS3 to work to help people who have similar problems Smiley Happy

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 9 of 48 (548 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 15, 2013

shadowlibraboy wrote:

It does freeze a lot though which can't be good for the system Smiley Wink

But I don't think it would kill a perfectly fine reader, maybe it would finish a reader that is about to die [FATALITY!] Smiley Tongue
I don't study disc readers though so I'm probably wrong xD

You are absolutely right.

I've been asking for a HDD install for a loooooong time (forum vets will probably remember). Few people believed me when I said back in the Subway beta that the retail game would suffer from the spinning dagger ring syndrome. Smiley Sad

More wear and tear for the Blu-Ray cannot be a good thing for your console, that's for sure. HDD installs/games prolong the longevity of Blu-Ray lenses.

Message 10 of 48 (542 Views)