Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2271 posts

Re: Match broke my Blu-ray disc reader

Jan 18, 2013

Kaloskatoa wrote:
Just something curious.

The ps3 stops the disc spin before you eject it, there is no harm done. (idk about the super slim tough)
The game is stopped before you remove it.
You don't actually have to quit the game before removing the disc.

I've got my ps3 for 4 years, over 60 games, not a single disc is scratched and the system is 100% okay.

you could cause the save data to be corrupted or cause the system to freeze up in theory

are you saying that for over 4 years you have been taking the discs out of the ps3 without exiting the game first?

Message 41 of 48 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
608 posts

Jan 18, 2013
Who cares? Maybe you should have bought a Wii U or 3Ds instead.
Message 42 of 48 (189 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 18, 2013

The save date will only be corrupted if it was saving at the exact time you removed the disc. 

You just have to look and see if the light is flashing, if it is, dont remove. If its not, its safe.

yea, over 4 years been doing that. The PS3 slim (and the Xbox slim) do stop the discs after the you press the button, no harm done on the disc or the hardware. 

If there was any harm, surely sony would make the game quit, wait 10 seconds and then allow you to remove the disc.

Message 43 of 48 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10074 posts

Jan 19, 2013
Not everyone takes the risk, bro. Safe method normally prevents any problem.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 44 of 48 (148 Views)
Survivor
2678 posts

Jan 20, 2013

The Blu Ray lens on the slim model PS3s are **bleep**.   I have a slim model in my den that I bought when they were released, BluRay discs are unwatchable on it.  they skip, jump, freeze.   I still have my original launch PS3 in my bedroom.....everything still works perfectly fine on it........and I used it a lot more since I logged in triple the amount of hours on Uncharted 2 than I have on Uncharted 3. 

I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.   There's a reason the launch PS3s cost $600 (and still work like new) while the slim PS3s only cost $300. 

Message 45 of 48 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10074 posts

Jan 20, 2013
Paying for the cooler design. Lol
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 46 of 48 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 20, 2013

lEvilDeadl wrote:

The Blu Ray lens on the slim model PS3s are **bleep**.   I have a slim model in my den that I bought when they were released, BluRay discs are unwatchable on it.  they skip, jump, freeze.   I still have my original launch PS3 in my bedroom.....everything still works perfectly fine on it........and I used it a lot more since I logged in triple the amount of hours on Uncharted 2 than I have on Uncharted 3. 

I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.   There's a reason the launch PS3s cost $600 (and still work like new) while the slim PS3s only cost $300. 

Launch PS3s have a different single-lens design, but on the other hand they are more prone to YLOD... you must be very lucky if it still works like new.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 47 of 48 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2678 posts

Jan 20, 2013

meh........I don't know anybody who's ever had the YLOD.  I only know it exists because of the internet. lol.  I've read online that it affected 0.05% of all consoles sold and that's a miniscule perecentage of owners.  It's not like the Xbox 360 where everybody I know who owned one eventually got the RROD, some on 2 or 3 consoles after replacing their originals.  

could also be because I'm an adult and all of my friends are adults.   adults tend to take better care of their purchases.   I remember being a kid having marathon gaming sessions on the nes and snes.  I'm sure the chance of getting the YLOD would go up if I played my PS3 for 20 hr marathon sessions a couple days a week for years but I've never had a problem playing for 4, 5 or 6 hours a day........and that's even  heavy usage by adult standards. 

but yeah, my launch 60gb (modified with 250gb HDD) still works perfectly.  the fan sounds like a jet engine but it always has........slim model on the other hand, I can't even watch a Blu Ray movie on.  Doesn't bother me since it's in my den and I already have a BR player hooked up to that television........still, the original launch systems (in my experience) had much higher quality.   $600 for a system that works perfectly 6 years later > $300 for a system you can't even watch a movie on 3 years later.

Message 48 of 48 (106 Views)