Jul 21 2013
By: GabrielFcr First Son 1 posts

Multiplayer character freeze and disconnected chord symbol

14 replies 1016 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

Heres the thing: I have been playing Uncharted 3 multiplayer for months now and suddenly in recent weeks my multiplayer constantly freezes with my character completely stopping (especially when i am near other opponents) . a symbol with a dissconected chord appears also. I  understand that ND has attempted  to reduce lag and prevent other players from taking advantage and deliberately lagging, which is something i completely agree with and praise. What i CANT UNDERSTAND is that i have a decent internet connection and even tried improving this with an ethernet cable. Every other game I have no trouble playing online and in my years with uncharted 2 I had absolutely no problem. I have no idea what to do.  I really respect NaughtyDog and thinking this may be the last Uncharted game for PS3 i would be really sad to end my experience with this series in this way. 

PLEASE HELP!!! 

Message 1 of 15 (1,016 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Re: Multiplayer character freeze and disconnected chord symbol

Jul 21, 2013

Chances are you keep running into the South Americans and Middle Easterners. Either that or your router needs to be reset so your internet can function properly.

Bang Bang!

Message 2 of 15 (987 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1099 posts

Jul 21, 2013
Well here's the thing. ND actually focused on something "lag compensation". That means, if someone has poor Internet, their system is set up so that the game will be slightly in their favor, therefore giving them an equal chance at winning.

In reality, they have a huge advantage. They can kill we with good Internet in two shots, when it seems to take two dozen bullets to stop them. Depending on how things are configured, they'll even cause us to freeze up and lag sometimes. Lots of us have ran into that darn white plug before.
Message 3 of 15 (973 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2013

Post a result plz --> www.speedtest.net & www.pingtest.net

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 4 of 15 (968 Views)
Survivor
2678 posts

Jul 21, 2013

If this is a recent problem, your ISP is probably having issues they need to fix.   try running a speed test, as tap suggested.   if the results aren't up to par, call your ISP and tell them you're not getting the quality of service you are paying for and they need to fix the issue.

I assume you were smart enough to eliminate all possibilities that you are causing the problem before posting this thread by doing the following:

- reset modem

- reset router

- nobody else in your home is using your network connection while you play, hogging the bandwidth so there's not enough left for your game to function properly. 

PS.  why do you mention Naughty Dog at all in this post?  The game is telling you that your network connection is having trouble connecting to the host of the game.   Naughty Dog has absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection.  It's either you or your ISP provider.  . 

Message 5 of 15 (953 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1099 posts

Jul 21, 2013
^White plug can happen even if you're Internet is 100% up to par and working perfectly. Other players can cause the white plug to happen for you.
Message 6 of 15 (938 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2013

The LAG in UC3 is back to how it use to be pre patch 1.17, F2P has allowed every laggy foreigner to have access to the MP, funny how the default Player pool is now more laggy than DLC.

And as @Nation said Laggy players will cause you to get White Plug, do a speed test just to make sure it's not on your end.

Message 7 of 15 (936 Views)
Survivor
2678 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrot

And as @Nation said Laggy players will cause you to get White Plug, do a speed test just to make sure it's not on your end.

only if that laggy player is, by some miracle, the host of the game.   This is a P2P game with one player's PS3 acting as the server.  All information goes through the host.  There is no direct contact from your PS3 to the PS3 of another player unless he is the host of the game.   You fire at him, your info is sent to the host.  The host then sends that info to the other player.   

This is why laggy players skip around the map, teleport, ice skate and shotgun AK you instead of you guys freezing when you get close to each other..........because your systems aren't trying to communicate with each other.  You are both communicating with a 3rd party (the host) which each of you has a decent connection to.  This is also why you can play games with players who have NAT type 3 connections that you have zero bars connection to.  You don't have to be able to connect to him because you will be exchanging no information with him.  both of you will be exchanging information with the host of the game, not with each other. 

There are only two reasons you will be frozen in place with the white plug.

1. your internet connection is not up to par.

2. the host of the game's internet connection is not up to par.

it's easy to know if it's you or the host.  If the host is the one with the subpar internet connection, other players will be freezing aswell because his internet connection can't handle the communication with their systems any more than it can handle the communication with yours.  He will probably be disconnected shortly as his subpar internet struggles to connect to nine other PS3s.  This is very rare.  I've seen it like 5 times in Uncharted 3.  Usually the host of the game has a connection decent enough to handle the traffic/data exchange with the other 9 players.  Sometimes a bad host makes the game really laggy for all players in the game....but usually not enough to feeze everybody in the game then get disconnected. 

Message 8 of 15 (927 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jul 22, 2013

lEvilDeadl wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrot

only if that laggy player is, by some miracle, the host of the game.   This is a P2P game with one player's PS3 acting as the server.  All information goes through the host.  There is no direct contact from your PS3 to the PS3 of another player unless he is the host of the game.   You fire at him, your info is sent to the host.  The host then sends that info to the other player.   

This is why laggy players skip around the map, teleport, ice skate and shotgun AK you instead of you guys freezing when you get close to each other..........because your systems aren't trying to communicate with each other.  You are both communicating with a 3rd party (the host) which each of you has a decent connection to.  This is also why you can play games with players who have NAT type 3 connections that you have zero bars connection to.  You don't have to be able to connect to him because you will be exchanging no information with him.  both of you will be exchanging information with the host of the game, not with each other. 

There are only two reasons you will be frozen in place with the white plug.

1. your internet connection is not up to par.

2. the host of the game's internet connection is not up to par.

it's easy to know if it's you or the host.  If the host is the one with the subpar internet connection, other players will be freezing aswell because his internet connection can't handle the communication with their systems any more than it can handle the communication with yours.  He will probably be disconnected shortly as his subpar internet struggles to connect to nine other PS3s.  This is very rare.  I've seen it like 5 times in Uncharted 3.  Usually the host of the game has a connection decent enough to handle the traffic/data exchange with the other 9 players.  Sometimes a bad host makes the game really laggy for all players in the game....but usually not enough to feeze everybody in the game then get disconnected. 

well i'm speaking from experience 99.99% I've only gotten the white plug when i'm close to laggy players & every time I play UC3 i'm in a chat with friends so I'll ask if they are experiencing it too, every time someone says Yes. Overall host selection for UC3 is awful, & most times it's the people with good connections who get white plug or removed.

Message 9 of 15 (923 Views)
Survivor
2678 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:
well i'm speaking from experience 99.99% I've only gotten the white plug when i'm close to laggy players & every time I play UC3 i'm in a chat with friends so I'll ask if they are experiencing it too, every time someone says Yes. Overall host selection for UC3 is awful, & most times it's the people with good connections who get white plug or removed.

well I'm speaking of actual knowledge of how P2P gaming works.  There is one server, he is the host.  All information is sent to him and distributed to the other players by him.  Your system is not connecting with any of the other 8 players in the game (be they laggy or not)....only the host.   If you are freezing it is either a problem with your connection or the host's connection.  If it's the host's connection, multiple people will be freezing in place and the host will eventually be disconnected.   If it's the host's connection, why would only you be frozen since he's sending/receiving the same information with every other player in the game that he is with you?  If it's his connection that's freezing you, he'll be freezing your friends and opponents too.   If it's just you that's freezing, either your connection is acting up or you are the host and can't handle the data exchange traffic with 9 other systems at the same time. 

as you can see from my sig, I have a good connection.  I have NEVER been disconnected from Uncharted 3.  The only time I have ever seen the white plug was a 1 week period over a year ago.  Comcast was doing maintenance on their network.   It was a problem on MY end, my connection.  I noted it, called my ISP and found out what the problem was.  A week later when they were done with their maintenance and I've never experienced any problems since.  I have been removed from game when a host quit the game and it migrated to a NAT type 3 player I had 0 bars connection to but that's it.  That's just poor coding by ND though.......migrating host to the next person listed on the original host's team instead of to the player with the best connection in the game. 

Ofcourse I run into all the same laggy players you do.  The guys in 3rd world countries rocking an old DSL connection getting around 200kb upload speed and ping times measured in seconds, not ms.  Those guys skp around, teleport, ice skate, bullet sponge and shoot 10 bullets at once..........they, however, don't freeze another player in the game unless they are the host of the game.  I have seen these players get host before, but it is very rare.  Literally probably 5 times in over 5,000 games have I seen one of these guys get host. 

Message 10 of 15 (917 Views)