Apr 19 2011
By: Capt-Fury- Lombax Warrior 181 posts

Multiplayer lighting system

13 replies 23 views Edited Apr 19, 2011

While Im sure it will be better by release, the lighting system for multiplayer looks underwhelming right now...I guess that's the price to pay for having so much stuff at the screen now with character customization, emblems and all that. Right now the Gears 3 beta looks better, which is surprising since the ND engine has always been one step ahead of Unreal Engine.

Message 1 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

Whoa, whoa wait what's the problem with the lightning?...

Apr 19, 2011

Whoa, whoa wait what's the problem with the lightning?

And how do you dare to compare Unreal engine with Uncharted's Engine?

It's like your comparing a PC with a consoloe! :smileytongue:

Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - DarkShadow345
Message 2 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Are you making this assumption based solely on the multip...

Apr 19, 2011

Are you making this assumption based solely on the multiplayer video? Or is there something I'm missing?

If you are basing it on the video, why not wait until you play the beta before you make the assumption that the lighting is underwhelming?

Or is this some subtle rant on customization?

Message 3 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

Seriously...

Apr 19, 2011

No there is not something you're missing this guy thinks the lightning is bad while the game still has 6 months of development. :smileyindifferent:

Message 4 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

You said something?

Apr 19, 2011

You said something? :smileyvery-happy:

Message 5 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
531 posts

you know what I'm sort of going to defend Capt-Fury here:...

Apr 19, 2011

Capt-Fury- wrote:

While Im sure it will be better by release, the lighting system for multiplayer looks underwhelming right now...I guess that's the price to pay for having so much stuff at the screen now with character customization, emblems and all that. Right now the Gears 3 beta looks better, which is surprising since the ND engine has always been one step ahead of Unreal Engine.

you know what I'm sort of going to defend Capt-Fury here: 

I wouldn't say its the lighting or the engine - moreso the general colour design used in the levels.

both myself and a friend have commented to one another at how the overall look isn't quite as vibrant in the stills released so far, esp in the airfield.  they seem to lack ND's trademark colour work and look a tad 'dull'.

Take the Highrise or Temple levels for egs - the colour design on them is so lush and vibrant its a joy to look at.  

even the chateau level demoed months ago had wonderful shades of red everywhere to accentuate the fire.  its about heightened reality and pushing the colours to create a 'more real' version of what is portrayed on screen.  at the moment all the screenshots look just a tad 'dull' vibrancy wise.

But obviously this is early days and 6 months to go so maybe they haven't graded the colour levels properly yet...?!

Message 6 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

Well you mean the colours need to change?

Apr 19, 2011

edhead77 wrote:

Capt-Fury- wrote:

you know what I'm sort of going to defend Capt-Fury here: 

I wouldn't say its the lighting or the engine - moreso the general colour design used in the levels.

both myself and a friend have commented to one another at how the overall look isn't quite as vibrant in the stills released so far, esp in the airfield.  they seem to lack ND's trademark colour work and look a tad 'dull'.

Take the Highrise or Temple levels for egs - the colour design on them is so lush and vibrant its a joy to look at.  

even the chateau level demoed months ago had wonderful shades of red everywhere to accentuate the fire.  its about heightened reality and pushing the colours to create a 'more real' version of what is portrayed on screen.  at the moment all the screenshots look just a tad 'dull' vibrancy wise.

But obviously this is early days and 6 months to go so maybe they haven't graded the colour levels properly yet...?!

Message 7 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
531 posts

well not quite change them - rather pump up the saturatio...

Apr 19, 2011

DarkShadow345 wrote:

well not quite change them - rather pump up the saturation a bit to make them more vibrant and do it in strategic places so you get a nice balance - or texturing if you will - all over the map design. 

you can't pump the saturation up everywhere since it would be overkill - its an artistic splash of colour in key places to heighten the impact of the buildings, the sky, the floor - everything.  everything has to be balanced as an overall composition.

the screenshots so far look amazing but they are - tonally speaking - dull.  there's no texture to them.  (and by that LOL I don't mean graphics textures - I mean variations in the design to make points of interest, so it's not all samey same etc!)

but hey this is very early days so who knows what else they need to do to it!  :smileyvery-happy:

Message 8 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

That's what I'm trying to say. :)

Apr 19, 2011

edhead77 wrote:

DarkShadow345 wrote:

well not quite change them - rather pump up the saturation a bit to make them more vibrant and do it in strategic places so you get a nice balance - or texturing if you will - all over the map design. 

you can't pump the saturation up everywhere since it would be overkill - its an artistic splash of colour in key places to heighten the impact of the buildings, the sky, the floor - everything.  everything has to be balanced as an overall composition.

the screenshots so far look amazing but they are - tonally speaking - dull.  there's no texture to them.  (and by that LOL I don't mean graphics textures - I mean variations in the design to make points of interest, so it's not all samey same etc!)

but hey this is very early days so who knows what else they need to do to it!  :smileyvery-happy:

That's what I'm trying to say. :smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

From the lighting on the wall and outside in this picture...

Apr 19, 2011

From the lighting on the wall and outside in this picture it seems to me bright enough. From what I've seen in the other pictures it doesn't look like a completely sunny day out.

Message 10 of 14 (23 Views)
0 Likes