Oct 31 2013
By: Tactician109 Lombax Warrior 125 posts

My Review of Patch 1.18

[ Edited ]
43 replies 973 views Edited Oct 31, 2013

Naughty Dog made a last ditch attempt to save Uncharted 3 multiplayer or at least bring some life to it before other games take over its popularity. Overall, I feel they have been successful with most of the changes and UC3 shall live longer thanks to this patch.

First of, I want to talk about the new Dry Docks map. I think it's a cool map with the rain and symmetricity. The power weapon locations and spawns seem to be balanced, and I could imagine playing OBJ and Plunder competitively on this map as well. The water area surrounding the map is pretty useless, but I can see it being used to flank a Marked Man for example. In the end, I think ND made a successful map once again.

Now to the actual patch changes. There has been negative and positive opinions about the fact that all DLC maps are now free. While I do understand that this is sort of unfair for those who spent $30 to buy their DLC maps, it was only a matter of time until ND made DLC maps free for all. Besides, now there will be more players in the DLC player pool, which means less lag and faster matchmaking.

I don't really care of Co-op changes, but I'm sure some people will be pleased to see an increased drop rate for the co-op treasures.

Weapon changes made in 1.18 are huge. ND took a massive risk by balancing many weapons at the same time and claiming 1.18 to be their final patch. However, the risk paid off and I can already tell that the game demands more skill to play well again and blindfire scrubs can say goodbye to their beloved tactic of spraying their weapons.

Regarding the hipfire accuracy, I think ND finally made it right by reducing it and making hipfire lock-on engage only if you are in melee distance of the enemy. That being said, hipfire is still useful compared to melee, although we might see more annoying double melee kills as a result of this change. But anyways, UC3 finally got rid of one of its sicknesses.

The increased recoil on the M9 was only a slight adjustment and after playing a few scrims, I can say that the M9 is useful compared to other long guns. To be honest, the M9 itself wasn't overpowered, but the hipfire was. You could say that the M9 got a "double-nerf" in this patch without totally killing the gun. The change is healthy, because we should see an increase in AK users now, making gameplay more diverse again.

The decreased recoil on the FAL-SS is something that I didn't really feel instantly. It could be only me though, as I never was a skilled FAL user myself. Sure, it might encourage more players to try out the weapon that has been useless for a long time, but I personally don't see it being better than the G-MAL or the M9.

The Rate of Fire mod has been a bane of every fair players existence since the release of the game. Now that it's being decreased, I hope to see more people ditching the mod and use something less scrubby like Reload Speed or Max Ammo.

The G-MAL buff is a welcomed one. Every veteran remembers the good (or bad) old days when G-MAL was by far the most useful weapon and people actually had to aim to do well. It seems that with the recoil change, we will see a ton of more G-MAL users again and that once again adds more variety to the gameplay.

Changes for Raffica were pretty subtle in my opinion. The gun was so underpowered that even with the changes ND brought with the 1.18 patch, I don't think Raffica will be my weapon of choice when it comes to picking sidearms. I would be glad to see some skilled players beast with the weapon though.

The TAU sniper got a massive change to its functionality and that is the ability to aim the weapon over the shoulder, like in the single player. This instantly made the TAU much, much more useful and the gun feels satisfying to use. This is how it should have been from the very beginning of the multiplayers lifetime, but better late than never.

Now to the gameplay changes (for those who are still reading this). I don't see how the sprint maneuverability got changed, it feels exactly the same as it was before. Oh well, sprint is pretty ok nowadays so a non-existant change like this doesn't bother me.

Mega Bombs are Cluster Bombs can't be thrown back anymore. This is maybe the first thing about this patch that, quite honestly, pisses me off. I'm on the verge of claiming that the Mega Bomb is becoming overpowered, the blast radius is so large that I don't think people will have any chance to counter well-thrown Mega Bombs. Quick Boom is annoying because it cannot be countered, and I can only hope that Mega Bomb isn't going to be the most destructive kickback from now on. But just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of the Mega Bomb, I feel satisfied to get kills with the kickback grenade, but please ND. Let us counter it by some means other than running.

Power Plays have been changed for the better, no need to go in the details. However, power plays should have never been there in the first place, why not just remove them...

Then there is the change for Team Objective. Deathmatch is FINALLY gone for good, that's how it should have been from Day 1. Unfortunately though, the change broke the game mode. If you happen to have a 2-2 tie and the final round commences, it will randomly stop, even if the round has not ended properly. Bad news for us FN players...

Score limits have been increased for both FFA and 3TDM. This change doesn't affect 3TDM too much, but the change for FFA is pretty significant in my opinion. Rampant medals can be a way to measure the skill of an individual, and now that people are able to get Rampants in FFA, it will be much more popular as a playlist. Not sure if I'm complaining or not, think I'm going to reap the benefits out of this anyways.

I'm pleased to see changes in the matchmaking. I think UC3 still has enough players in order to have a better matchmaking and less lag. It took about 1 or 2 minutes yesterday to find matches that were decently lagless.

A few kickbacks were changed, maybe most importantly the Quick Boom change. Now, something about this: Quick Boom HAS NOT been overpowered for a long time. It's only an annoyance when you get killed by it, due to its nature. This pretty much killed the kickback and Mega Bomb is better in pretty much every way.

Now, the booster changes. The changes are interesting, but not so great after all. People have to face up a difficult choice between Fleet Foot, Scoped In, Cloaked and Team Safe when choosing Slot 1 boosters. This causes a lot more teamkills as people wont give up their precious Fleet Foot in order to not kill teammates. Well, at least this will spice up FraggedNation matches, there will be some interesting booster combinations.

Some Paid Boosters cost a lot more now, yay.

New 3rd Buddy Boosters are something that I don't really care of, but it's always nice to have more of those.

Finally, some map adjustments. The notorious camping spot in London Underground is gone and no more shotgun camping **bleep** will be seen as a result. I didn't play Plunder Syria or Museum, so I can't tell how it's like, sorry.

That's all, thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 44 (973 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Re: My Review of Patch 1.18

Oct 31, 2013
I don't know about the Raff man. It's still the same ol' main wep for me, but I'm sure peeps would have a better time with it now. You know, if they stop using either the Para or Micro.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 2 of 44 (967 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
70 posts

Oct 31, 2013

Good review, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Sprint maneuverability has certainly been slightly adjusted in a way that now it's a bit harder to zig-zag, it kinda reminded me of sprinting during the summer beta, but with a little more control of your character. One of the things that would also need addressing are plunder spawns on Cave, when playing plunder there all hell breaks loose.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 3 of 44 (954 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Oct 31, 2013
The third boosters were great and probably their meeting halfway of the third booster idea threads that cropped up before, forgot to say. I'm bothered that literally all their pistols are para 9, but it's cool.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 4 of 44 (948 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
685 posts

Oct 31, 2013

Good post indeed.

A couple of notes.  I haven't actually played a live plunder match in Museum or Syria but checked out the new chest locations and idol spawns in private matches.  It certainly looks to me that the changes are positive...especially for Museum.  For those on my friends list that like Plunder, Museum was never voted for..nothing more annoying than rewarding chest campers by having the chests so close together.  This change was overdue.  Not sure why they changed Syria...it wasn't my favourite Plunder map but the original layout was fine by me.  Personally, London Underground could have used a change to be more fair for the villains.

Coop?...not a lot there for us fans of Arena but I'll take the additional map! Smiley Happy  Old Quarter (OQ) is infuriatingly challenging.  I don't know if it's just the fact that my usual gaming peeps and I have yet to develop a working strategy or what.  In the days leading up to the patch, it seems as though ND tweaked the spawns a bit...raising the "tempo" for all Arena maps a bit (most noticeable on Crushing).  On a map like OQ, crossing the central courtyard area is very risky but the nature of the map is very constrictive when you stick to the outside and stay close together - we're constantly getting in each other's way because there's so little room to maneuver.  Aside from the two corners on the high side of the map, most other areas are very dangerous.  All in all though, it is great because it requires you to work together as a team more...smart movement is needed to cover all the angles and prevent flanking, no matter where you are on the map.  Gold Rush is a different beast than any other map that comes to mind.  The final approach to the chest always seems to be crowded with enemies by the time you get there.

Message 5 of 44 (929 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2203 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 31, 2013

Very good review sir. I must say myself that I will be using the Raffica from now on. I always used the Para for situations that required blindfire but now that blindfire has been fixed and the Raffica has been buffed I can see myself using it.

The Tau's fix is an interesting one, I like the idea of the Tau having a over-the-shoulder view but the reticle is strange for that kind of weapon, its a mini sniper rifle not a mini shotgun.

Its good to see the Fal and G-Mal making a return to the hands of UC3 players. More weapon variety equals more interesting matches.

Im half and half on the Kickback changes, I can see that having your own megabomb kill you is not only embarrassing but also a waste of 10 medals. This way its harder to have a wasted megabomb or clusterbomb but like you said, megabomb will become the best kickback, especially in objective game modes.

Its nice to see that the back area of London Underground has been barricaded, this spot has been camped to no end. Overall, well done ND on patch 1.18.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Message 6 of 44 (924 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3412 posts

Oct 31, 2013

Decent review, I don't really agree with you saying it's a bit unfair to people who paid for the maps it's been over a year & we've all gotten our $30 worth of fun & enjoyment through the countless games we've played on DLC it was bound to happen & alot of us actually asked for it to go free when ND asked what we wanted most for the anniversary.

Overall I agree with your other points, ND did great except for messing with the boosters whichever community MVP member suggested this needs to be demoted lol.

Message 7 of 44 (890 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14379 posts

Oct 31, 2013

I paid for the maps. I found a lot of lag in DLC pools always. Free maps for everyone? Less lag? I'm in.

Don't care about my money I spent on it.

Lets hope this is a lesson though for the future, Uncharted 2's DLC pool lagged hard, Uncharted 3's pool lagged hard and TLOU's is currently lagging hard too.

The evidence is there to suggest DLC maps should be reserved for more popular games and things like TLOU or Uncharted should always have free maps. and maybe paid DLC adding on to co-op / single player and so on, things that would lag up competitive play, if co-op is lagging TBH I've seen people lagging there and it doesn't matter because I'm facing the AI anyway.

Message 8 of 44 (877 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Oct 31, 2013
I think only one person disagreed on free maps and it was very political. I mean, it's BS that you're not considering the fact that your arse lagged so hard just so you have maps rub it in to the "poor" people or whatever.

Oh yeah, you got all maps. Meanwhile, I've had 5 non-DLC matches and you're still stuck in goddamn matchmaking. Ding-dong.
Message 9 of 44 (849 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1487 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 31, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Decent review, I don't really agree with you saying it's a bit unfair to people who paid for the maps it's been over a year & we've all gotten our $30 worth of fun & enjoyment through the countless games we've played on DLC it was bound to happen & alot of us actually asked for it to go free when ND asked what we wanted most for the anniversary.

Overall I agree with your other points, ND did great except for messing with the boosters whichever community MVP member suggested this needs to be demoted lol.

I'm also baffled no community MVP suggested reducing the way to sticky aim assist on the Dragon Sniper and T-Bolt, which makes aiming at and following your target really frustrating. Boosters where fine.

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 10 of 44 (807 Views)