Message 51 of 262 (919 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1848 posts

Re: The KELEVRA Uncharted 3 CHALLENGE - Powered by GAMERMODZ & KELEVRA Corp

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

The demeanor of some of the "casual, for fun newbie" players towards the so-called "competitive, huge ego trashtalkers" players is laughably ironic. I've seen both sides of the community at their worst and the condescension really goes both ways. Neither "side" is completely innocent.

In all honesty, though, I don't see why there needs to be a split between the community in the first place. Why can't players want to be competitive AND be playing for fun at the same time?

My thought is this: if watching or participating in a higher level of competitive play interests you, this tournament is probably for you. If you're just here to see "drama" and laugh about how much smarter and more cultured you are than the people participating, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. Go turn on your TV and catch the latest reality show trash, we don't need you.

There isn't a split in the community. The only split are the forum trolls who know how to push "competitive" players buttons. They can say the most generic comments and always get a raise. This then creates a backlash with the competitive side feeling they need to defend themselves, which makes the scene less appealing, which builds the perception of a split when really there isn't.

People have fun in different ways. The only reason this question keeps coming up is because the competitive crowd feels the need to justify what they do. If you turn on the **bleep** game you're competing against other players, end of. I don't see the point of this even being a debate, if you see something as fun to you, why care what other people think?

You need as many people to watch this tournament as possible. Once again people watch something for different reasons. If a nature program comes on the TV you're going to get people who are interested in the geological issues and other's who are like "OMG look at that cute polar bear!". It all counts as views to the network whatever the reason people watch it. You can't sell a tournament on just the notion that there will be high competition and if you like that you're in. That sounds elitist and automatically fails to include the majority.

Other than Squid there's no personalities pushing this tourny. There needs to be hype, energy, drama outside and inside the matches, on top of the best teams competing to win.

Whatever you think of the BIG2KREW tournaments they sure as hell brought that. My fear with any FN tourny is that it may bring a more balanced dynamic and the usual roster of top teams but where's the entertainment?

This is why I mentioned about commentators in a previous comment. We need genuine personalities to sell this game to a wider audience. If you can get an audience of people watching who haven't even played an Uncharted game, then you're doing something right.

Seriously all this effort into justifying what is classed as fun is pointless. If you enjoy what you do and show a genuine excitement for something then you will get an audience. I don't know a flying **bleep** about Starcraft but as soon as Day9 talks about it I'm hooked.

Take some of the current effort which is currently being wasted on complaining and direct it into building the areas surrounding the tournament. We're very lucky to have squid setting these tournaments up but it can't end there. Use the resources from the community. Get DeFy doing awesome hype vids, find some **bleep** commentators and make this into an event the community can be proud of.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Message 52 of 262 (879 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Icarus_prime wrote:

Remind me why this thread has turned into yet ANOTHER selfish perception of casual gamers vs hardcore, competitive gamers? You bystanders a.k.a troll baiting ain't helping either.

Because.

Competitive gamers want the casuals to be like them, casuals want the competitive people to leave the game.

It's pretty much that simple, they are in each others way.

Happens in every video game community. It's nothing new.

Having personally been on both sides, competitive people have a point that the casuals are not important to them and should gain some ability to add more competition.

On the other side the casuals have a point that competitive people ruin the game for them "Trying too hard" blahblahblah. You know.

Either way the argument is pretty stupid, but there is nothing you can do about it because the points do actually stand. There is no common ground to be made on the subject, it will always be a battle.

Obviously people who are getting stomped by pros aren't going to be forgiving, and they can't get better due to the lack of confidence or any learning those experiences are giving them, thus a permenant divide occurs.

equally some competitive people get annoyed at a lack of competition and hate those casuals for not being any good at the game.

Vicious cycle.

Message 53 of 262 (802 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Apr 12, 2013
I'm purposely not helping, since it fixes itself in the 178th page or so.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 54 of 262 (757 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
2019 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Lol. What a forum reunion. All the old folks back in a thread throwing pillows filled with bricks at one another. Classic. I tried to leave but something about this place always draws you back…lol.

For Pete:

B2K is a marketing team first and I think we can all agree with you on that. Dadypain runs his own business, so I think it’s easy to assume the wherewithal to handle one’s self as a businessman can translate into “promotion”. When it comes to “competition”, well….the informed Uncharted player knows how that goes.

The problem with finding personalities to hype this game solely lies on the inability for us to use a functional spectator mode within the game. You relate a game that does not have this function to other triple-A titles with a competitive field. Totally irrelevant. I would agree with you on the basis that we need more people like that but you have to appreciate the foundations of competitive game play FIRST. Using your example, Uncharted106 is a great commentator/personality/leader for the community and I’m glad he’s found his niche but he’s not a competitive gamer. That’s not to say he couldn’t learn or we couldn’t teach him the art of “shoutcasting” a competitive match but you gotta care about it first. Give me a name of a commentator/caster that is based entirely on “hype”? You’d be hard pressed to find a good one, as the majority of them are well informed, dedicated to the craft and love the game(s) they cast. The ability to create “hype” and “excitement” stems from knowledge of the game and its competitive mechanics. It’s not about finding hype; it’s about people understanding the process in how this works, thus being how ACTUAL competitive gaming works. I didn’t post this thread to “hype” because I don’t have to sell this to the guys who are already on the UCL. That’s like the whole EA bringing out COD gamers for BF4. Why sell it to the players that will already buy in? The purpose was to just garner some interest in it for those F2P players or someone who would like to play for a small pot.

Marketing only gets you so far and while people may watch the videos and interact on a forum, the best form of marketing is word-of-mouth in this community. That’s how the UCL has 362 teams (214 of them being active) almost 2 years after release. Players tell other players “this is the place to play”. It has nothing to do with making a hype video. That’s ONLY for sponsors to feel good about numbers and analytics. I always pick Saanti because he’s a good editor, he’s worth marketing on a separate level and I genuinely like the guy. That entire side of “competition” is solely based on ROI. The gamer doesn’t need business-hype unless it comes in the form of live action.

Again, what this game has needed since Day 1 is a spectator mode. Sure, you have tripleWRECK as the ONLY major Twitch channel for this game (I’d stream if my BFE upload wasn’t so inconsistent) but that’s it. Because then, if we had a spectator mode, we could use triple’s channel to broadcast all sorts of media content related to this game. It would even allow the most unknown individual get his name out and get the game noticed on a large scale.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here. I’m sure many are tired of me bringing up spectator mode. I did my part in getting the custom game settings back into Uncharted but spectator mode was a lost cause. At least we have PS4 and the potential of a new entry in the Uncharted series. One can only hope.

PS. To contest your competitive “theory” on TDM, I’ll leave you with “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” Meaning, it’s hard to tell someone what a competitive mode is when you, yourself, have little experience playing the game on that level. I suppose that goes for anyone. In reality, Plunder is the most “balanced” mode in terms of format, style and mechanics. The competitive players took a broken game and tried to fix as much as we could to maintain “balance”.

Twitter: @TryceUp

USN 04-08
Message 55 of 262 (645 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3768 posts

Apr 12, 2013

I applaud you squiid for your effort in this.

I do have to scratch my head on as to why you have to be the one doing it.

As in " Why is ND not doing this on a regular basis?"

Heck, the tournament system is there. Your telling me with the money involved with it buying tickets they couldn't have

actually prizes? On a semi regular basis?

Have matches set up with the top players?

Seems the community is the only ones to every really get things going.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 56 of 262 (590 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3768 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Also I remember ND saying before the last patch they were going to include some thing special for clans.

What was it.

Did I miss some thing.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 57 of 262 (573 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
2019 posts

Apr 12, 2013
We suggested that the tournament system actually be a "tournament" system. No dice. This current format has better ROI for them I suppose.
Twitter: @TryceUp

USN 04-08
Message 58 of 262 (549 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

Apr 12, 2013

I'm going to keep on disagreeing with anyone saying TDM is a competitive game mode. The issue is not whether or not it's balanced, it's whether or not it's good for the sake of competition and proving which team is the most skilled. My take is "no."

I have played enough TDM matches where prizes and cash are on the line to know that, when both teams want to win, they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't give any ground to the players on the other team and will take almost NO risks whatsoever if the matches are close. This generally lends to a boring stalemate campfest where both teams barely move while waiting out power weapon spawns. Not only is this boring to watch, but it's boring to play as well and doesn't really prove who the better team is. Most of the matches are won and lost within the first couple of minutes as both teams do an all-out rush for the prime real estate on the map (i.e. the top room on Temple, the double-barreled shotgun spawn on Desert Village, etc.). Whoever gets it usually wins and there's very little the underdog team can do from then on in order to turn the tides unless the winning team does something really stupid. These situations do NOT foster good teamwork and competition.

Message 59 of 262 (515 Views)
Sackboy
541 posts

Apr 12, 2013

@sQuiiDx
I apologise for derailing your thread with an insult contest with a troll. I appreciate your initiatives and contributions to the community.

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 60 of 262 (830 Views)