Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
1957 posts

Re: The KELEVRA Uncharted 3 CHALLENGE - Powered by GAMERMODZ & KELEVRA Corp

Apr 12, 2013
No apologies needed mayne. Here to serve the people.
http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/

Twitter: @TryceUp

EOR

USN 04-08
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 262 (658 Views)
Sackboy
416 posts

Apr 12, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

I'm going to keep on disagreeing with anyone saying TDM is a competitive game mode. The issue is not whether or not it's balanced, it's whether or not it's good for the sake of competition and proving which team is the most skilled. My take is "no."

I have played enough TDM matches where prizes and cash are on the line to know that, when both teams want to win, they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't give any ground to the players on the other team and will take almost NO risks whatsoever if the matches are close. This generally lends to a boring stalemate campfest where both teams barely move while waiting out power weapon spawns. Not only is this boring to watch, but it's boring to play as well and doesn't really prove who the better team is. Most of the matches are won and lost within the first couple of minutes as both teams do an all-out rush for the prime real estate on the map (i.e. the top room on Temple, the double-barreled shotgun spawn on Desert Village, etc.). Whoever gets it usually wins and there's very little the underdog team can do from then on in order to turn the tides unless the winning team does something really stupid. These situations do NOT foster good teamwork and competition.

TDM is a competitive game mode. 

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 262 (626 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1957 posts

Apr 12, 2013
In some cases (Halo, Quake, Shootmania, etc) Team based kill dependent games are in a competitive format based on how they are structured but that's far from true for Uncharted. That's a blanket statement for most console shooters.

TDM is a placeholder as Elimination has no cinemas and no real objective. It would be nice to see Uncharted use something like Execution or Team Leader.
http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/

Twitter: @TryceUp

EOR

USN 04-08
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 262 (593 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5842 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2013

OrangeAddict wrote:

pdiss88 wrote:

I'm going to keep on disagreeing with anyone saying TDM is a competitive game mode. The issue is not whether or not it's balanced, it's whether or not it's good for the sake of competition and proving which team is the most skilled. My take is "no."

I have played enough TDM matches where prizes and cash are on the line to know that, when both teams want to win, they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't give any ground to the players on the other team and will take almost NO risks whatsoever if the matches are close. This generally lends to a boring stalemate campfest where both teams barely move while waiting out power weapon spawns. Not only is this boring to watch, but it's boring to play as well and doesn't really prove who the better team is. Most of the matches are won and lost within the first couple of minutes as both teams do an all-out rush for the prime real estate on the map (i.e. the top room on Temple, the double-barreled shotgun spawn on Desert Village, etc.). Whoever gets it usually wins and there's very little the underdog team can do from then on in order to turn the tides unless the winning team does something really stupid. These situations do NOT foster good teamwork and competition.

TDM is a competitive game mode. 

In the technical sense that one teams wins and one team loses, maybe.

In a form of a good competitive mode for tournaments...nope, for the Uncharted series at least. There's a reason that, if you see any mode that's focused on killing the other team in a big stage, it's Elimination. The Halo series is the only real exception.

It's always funny when you see an Uncharted player that thinks the most skillful mode in the game is TDM no power weapons.

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 262 (542 Views)
PlayStation MVP
164 posts

Apr 12, 2013

I still remember when Elimination mode came out we all were really stoked to implement it into competitve rotation but inablity to save cinemas really killed it. I mean we were trying to come up with ways to make it work(For example, make it 4vs4 only and have a FN referee in the lobby to make sure everything goes smooth. But it had its drawbacks and we couldn't really come to a conclusion, unfortunately).

Hopefully we have our hopes high for UC4 because now we have pretty much pushed the boundries of uc3 competitive side with what we had. Which is without spectator mode, without ND's support, without a separate TO playlist etc. Hopefully ND takes notes and make it balanced successful game with a lot of diff custom settings that we dont have to ask for after the game came out, like uc3.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 262 (537 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1834 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2013

@Squid

This is my whole point about the commentators. Is there no one on the FN scene that is interested in that side of things? It doesn't matter if they're crap now. We have at least two years before UC4 comes out and by then I bloody hope we have a spectator mode. If there truely is no one then we should work with what we have. Uncharted106 has potential (I'm sure he's not the only one) and has got a great start. He said he would have a go at some shoutcasting in the summer, send him some matches and a bit of backstory on the teams. If we have no shoutcasters then start from scratch, can't expect MLG level out the box. If we have a few practicing now then by the time of UC4 you will have your shoutcasters, at least to an average skill level.

I even thought we could have a commentator competition for that. We don't have spectator mode but what about taking a cinema file, recording it from different player views and editing it together?  Yes it's a lot of work but it could be done for a few of the top matches. Give people something to practice with. 

I think marketing is important in all forms. Yes word of mouth is great but is that going to do much good for the people who are solely just going to watch it? I only know there's a counterstrike tournament because I see a youtube vid about it. I'm not part of the community, I don't play nor do I know anyone who does and so I wouldn't find out any other way. A 2 minute video let's me know when it is and who's in it. Do it both ways. 

You need a trailer on UCTV at least. 

It's cool to get a response about my theory on the objectives modes. Yeah you took a broken game, those modes are fine for pubs but wouldn't you agree at the top level any small advantage is magnified dramatically? 

I'm intrigued how you balance something that the game randomly selects and is completely out of the control of either team. Fair enough I will try and find players doing some objective scrims with FN rules and see for myself.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 262 (430 Views)
Sackboy
541 posts

Apr 12, 2013

sQuiiDx wrote:
No apologies needed mayne. Here to serve the people.

Thanks for being so cool about it, bro. :smileyhappy:
There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 262 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

Apr 13, 2013
People - don't join.
For the normal community there's no way the average community member here has a chance to win anything.

This is just a pathetic try to save this dying game.
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 262 (331 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Apr 13, 2013
^ UC3 is kinda like having a campfire in the winter. When you first make it, it is wonderful. But as time goes on you start to sweat and it gets uncomfortable. Then as the fire dies out you start to get cold, and miss that warm ember. This tournament is simply trying to make a little flame with what is left. There is nothing wrong with it at all.
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 262 (297 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9944 posts

Apr 13, 2013
Getting HC mode would be like dumping lither fliud on the campfire.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 262 (364 Views)
0 Likes