Naughty Paw
2019 posts

Re: The KELEVRA Uncharted 3 CHALLENGE - Powered by GAMERMODZ & KELEVRA Corp

Apr 13, 2013

PeteX19 wrote:

@Squid

This is my whole point about the commentators. Is there no one on the FN scene that is interested in that side of things? It doesn't matter if they're crap now. We have at least two years before UC4 comes out and by then I bloody hope we have a spectator mode. If there truely is no one then we should work with what we have. Uncharted106 has potential (I'm sure he's not the only one) and has got a great start. He said he would have a go at some shoutcasting in the summer, send him some matches and a bit of backstory on the teams. If we have no shoutcasters then start from scratch, can't expect MLG level out the box. If we have a few practicing now then by the time of UC4 you will have your shoutcasters, at least to an average skill level.

I even thought we could have a commentator competition for that. We don't have spectator mode but what about taking a cinema file, recording it from different player views and editing it together?  Yes it's a lot of work but it could be done for a few of the top matches. Give people something to practice with. 

I think marketing is important in all forms. Yes word of mouth is great but is that going to do much good for the people who are solely just going to watch it? I only know there's a counterstrike tournament because I see a youtube vid about it. I'm not part of the community, I don't play nor do I know anyone who does and so I wouldn't find out any other way. A 2 minute video let's me know when it is and who's in it. Do it both ways. 

You need a trailer on UCTV at least. 

It's cool to get a response about my theory on the objectives modes. Yeah you took a broken game, those modes are fine for pubs but wouldn't you agree at the top level any small advantage is magnified dramatically? 

I'm intrigued how you balance something that the game randomly selects and is completely out of the control of either team. Fair enough I will try and find players doing some objective scrims with FN rules and see for myself.

Of course the UCL players are interested but I don't always have the time and it's pretty tedious to effectively shoutcast a match when cinema mode is crap and I can't do it live. It just takes 30-60 minutes of prep. I have to essentially watch the videos before hand to know when to switch camera angles because the **bleep** thing jumps around like a blind jackrabbit. 

I don't mind teaching 106 the ropes when it comes to competitive Uncharted. He's best suited as a play by play, where the knowledge of the game is not as important, rather just a quick tongue. Thing is, he has to want it. 

Lol MLG level. I learned a lot in 2012 and one of the most important things is that there is more to competitive gaming than MLG. It's just a tiny part of the whole shindig. 

I've toyed with doing the "record separate parts, put them together, shoutcast" idea. I did it for one of the OmG! casts and it took a while to do it. You just wouldn't have that kind of time with major matches when people would just spread it by word of mouth anyways. Ruins the largest part of the entertainment vaule. Realistically, being patient will help us out. We just need to hold out for PS4 and its abilities. 

I'm not saying that promotion isn't a large piece but you are weighing WAY too much on that alone. It seems too many in this community are "promotion" first and understanding how to organize, run and compete in a competitive atmosphere. People really need to learn that or it's just going to cause more problems on future titles. We've had trailers for all but 1 FN tourney. The one Saanti made for the Steelseries Championship had a combined 62k views between FN and Machinima. Outside of the MLG event in Providence video and a few others, that's the largest audience to date for UC3. 

We had two trailers on UCTV. Our content isn't as good as Lebandits to stay on UCTV. Remember, he is the God of UCTV. 

No. You completely misunderstand the purpose of competitive play. Again you're going for the "make it flashy" motif. That was a huge argument for COD during BO1 and MW3. Treyarch fixed that with BO2 with how the streaks work. Anyways, the advantage is massive between a group of dudes who play pubs and a group of dedicated players who know spawn times, how to flip spawns, power weapon timers, call outs, map wide leap-frogging and a dozen other pieces to a competitive teams make up. The gamemod and map don't make the team, at least as much as we can help it. TDM is not a competitive mode. It was once a major player, only because it was the first of its kind and people were still learning. Is OBJ broken? Ha, uh yeah. A lot. But all of the balancing pieces we put into play limits the gap between teams. Same goes with Plunder. 

Honestly man, the one thing that harms this game in terms of competitive play when it comes down to actual mechanics are the servers. Complete crap, as bullet-lag plays a huge part in how a match is determined. It's not the players fault, that blame rests on Naughty Dog. Plenty of other games get it right, where the gap is marginal. 

Look, you just need to learn from the actual players themselves. There are plenty of highly intelligent players in this community. Barry, Sekundes, Keri, Vegas, triple, Never Challenge, Dai, etc...at least from those who still play. Once you learn how it all works, why it works that way and how they play, then we can discuss the ins and outs, suggestions and more. Learn, then talk. 

Twitter: @TryceUp

USN 04-08
Message 71 of 262 (442 Views)
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Apr 13, 2013
"You need a trailer on UCTV at least."
Why is UCTV is soo imp? LOL No seriously, like Squiid said saanti is working on the trailer. Geez
Message 72 of 262 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Apr 13, 2013
I think all the game modes in U3 are broken, unbalanced, and not competitive. Until blindfire is fixed it'll be that way. Maybe next gen.
Message 73 of 262 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Apr 13, 2013
Coming straight from a competitive player people. Better watch out! He knows his stuff. OBVIOUSLY.
Message 74 of 262 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Apr 13, 2013
Is Hardcore mode a competitive mode?
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 75 of 262 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
555 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Is Plunder a competitive mode?

I like cats :3

Message 76 of 262 (396 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Apr 13, 2013

MachoTbig wrote:

Is Plunder a competitive mode?

Can't tell if trolling...

Message 77 of 262 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Apr 13, 2013
I hope Macho and I get some answers.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 78 of 262 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Apr 13, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

OrangeAddict wrote:

pdiss88 wrote:

I'm going to keep on disagreeing with anyone saying TDM is a competitive game mode. The issue is not whether or not it's balanced, it's whether or not it's good for the sake of competition and proving which team is the most skilled. My take is "no."

I have played enough TDM matches where prizes and cash are on the line to know that, when both teams want to win, they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't give any ground to the players on the other team and will take almost NO risks whatsoever if the matches are close. This generally lends to a boring stalemate campfest where both teams barely move while waiting out power weapon spawns. Not only is this boring to watch, but it's boring to play as well and doesn't really prove who the better team is. Most of the matches are won and lost within the first couple of minutes as both teams do an all-out rush for the prime real estate on the map (i.e. the top room on Temple, the double-barreled shotgun spawn on Desert Village, etc.). Whoever gets it usually wins and there's very little the underdog team can do from then on in order to turn the tides unless the winning team does something really stupid. These situations do NOT foster good teamwork and competition.

TDM is a competitive game mode. 

In the technical sense that one teams wins and one team loses, maybe.

In a form of a good competitive mode for tournaments...nope, for the Uncharted series at least. There's a reason that, if you see any mode that's focused on killing the other team in a big stage, it's Elimination. The Halo series is the only real exception.

It's always funny when you see an Uncharted player that thinks the most skillful mode in the game is TDM no power weapons.

Its funny how you actually took my post seriously Smiley Very Happy

Message 79 of 262 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1848 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

@Squid

This shoutcasting thing isn't all on you. If someone was starting out all they need is access to an FN cinema file and information/backstory on the two clans involved. They can edit the vid, research different commentators and practice on their own. When they have recorded something they can come back and then you can give pointers. 

I said MLG because you immediately know the level of commentator I'm talking about. It had nothing to do with the MLG competitive scene.

I'm talking about promotion so much because I don't need to think about the competitive side, that's covered.  Promotion allows other members of the community to get involved who wouldn't normally get the chance to be part of the UC3 competitive scene. 

One example "Camp Hutch" Hutch isn't a competitive players but during the MW2 days he did a great series interviewing competitive players and bridging the gap.

This is promotion and once again this isn't for you to do, this is down to the rest of the community to come up with ideas. 

As far as UCTV, let Saanti make the trailer but make sure you have a voiceover. Write the script and get someone to read it out, I would pick CDwaver.

@Barry Why is UCTV important? Because it's where the F2P players are and also the pub players who only play the game and aren't interested in the community or following the forums. 

@Squid Slightly condescending but whatever. As far as the list you mentioned, that's just research. It's implementing that knowledge, being able to adapt as a unit and knowing what strategies will work best at any given moment. That's what I lack experience in. It seems unless I clock 500 hours on the FN ladder my opinion is invalid XD 

Anyway good luck with the tourny.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Message 80 of 262 (604 Views)
0 Likes