Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/17/2011
Offline
3077 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

I think it's a combo of what both the OP stated and what TripleWRECK has posted.  Too much gimmicky crap in the title and not enough balls to push back the release date for UC3 after the obvious Subway Beta Debacle. 

 

I think the main culprit is that the fact the Druckman and Straley were not involved in this title.  When you play Uncharted 2, you can see and feel the quality and it was because of them.  UC3 is chintzy and gimmicky, and obiviously strayed away from the formula that endeared it to many a fan:  keeping it simple.  No need for all the other junk the other studios are doing.   When I look at the footage of TLOU, it looks like quality again.  Why?  Druckman/Straley, IMHO. 

 

Developing two games at the same time was a wonderfully HORRIBLE decision and resulted in UC3 getting the royal shaft.  I remember almost a YEAR ago, I when first saw the changes from the June/July Beta of 2011 to the Subway beta, I knew we were in DEEP, DEEP trouble with this titile, and I stated it at that time.  I specifically mentioned that I thought NDI would be spending LOADS of time patching and live updating the game, and they most certainly have.  That part of it gives me that "rushed feel" that they could not get things straight due to all the gimmicky crap they put into the title, so they blundered it out. 

 

Here's the worst part:  IT DOESN"T MATTER TO NDI OR TO SONY.  They made their money, and plenty of it, off of UC3.  Despite the poor quality of the game overall (compared to the expected improvement from UC2) people sitll bought and played it, even if the life span was/will be shorter than UC2's.  Has NDI tarnished their name with true fans due to their production and handling of UC3?  Maybe, but most people, even those hollering one year ago that they would never play the MP, well guess what?  They bought it and played it too, just like we thought they would. 

 

It's a really strange phenomenon that the game is so poor in quality, yet people still bought it and continue to play it. 

 

It is conspiculous that the handling of UC3 while making TLOU at the same time was terribly botched.  So many things left out of UC3 that should have been carried over from UC2 that it's embarassing.  UC3 has modes, items, features that are totally off the wall and unsustainable, like Co op Hunter and Hats with Stats. 

 

All those COMP fixes and essentially NOTHING for Co-op, aside from DESTROYING CLASSIS CO-OP ARENA by combining the modes and omitting a SURVIVAL ONLY Co op mode (one of the worst game title decisions of ALL TIME). 

 

Towards the end of UC2's run I though, "Boy, I hope they learn from their mistakes on UC2."  Apparently they did not.  Now my sentiment is:  "Boy, I hope they learn from their massive mistakes on UC3."  Here's hoping for MUCH IMPROVEMENT on future titles such as TLOU and the elusive UC4, DARKE'S BLING.  Here's hoping they go back to simplifying things, keeping it Uncharted (As opposed to COD), and producing quality FROM THE DATE OF RELEASE.  Curb that patching habit with quality from the start.  One time! 

*****************************************
YOUTUBE SLEAZEVISION

*****************************************


Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com








Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 69 (491 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 08/25/2011
Offline
541 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

shadowlibraboy wrote:

 

  • Yes they did, you know that- I know that- everyone knows Unxharywd 3 was rushed. And that is why the SP was garbage compared to Uncharyed 1 and 2.
    Sorry I didn't hear you, did you say the SP was GARBAGE?! Oh well apparently you were drunk when you wrote this, you even forgot how to spell Uncharted correctly two times :smileywink:

    thelegendaryD wrote:

     

    • You waited months to patch the KAL, GMAL, and Rate of Fire

    You don't always get what you want


    • You need forumers to tell you how to make your game better

    You don't always get what you want

    • You (obviously) did not test these weapons or bugs in the game

    You don't always get what you want

    • Uncharted 3 came out a lot earlier than what many fans have expected

     You don't always get what you want
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 69 (476 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 02/15/2010
Offline
1918 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 28, 2012

SLEAZE_IT_UP wrote:
UC3 has modes, items, features that are totally off the wall and unsustainable, like Co op Hunter and Hats with Stats. 
(**bleep** hate this quote system, makes it difficult as **bleep** to point out what I wanna talk about).
Anyway, Hunter was fine in the summer beta (less time and rounds = less stupidness) until they botched it for the retail release. However, hats with stats do not break the game and are not as off the wall as you think. They add to the game in a small way, small enough that they don't throw everything off. At first glance, from the very first announcement people were up in arms but only because of the concept. It wasn't until they were actually out that the players found they don't really *break* the game, they add to it. And that's a GOOD thing. Even if the ones for the main characters you're forced to buy, you can still get the same stats for free for your custom hero/villain.
In the end, it doesn't really matter at this point. The game is out and ND is supporting it as best as they can and plan to continue to support it all the way through to 2013 (maybe beyond?) That's a LOT longer than UC2 was supported for and something we should keep in mind.
People are still playing and will continue to do so on the basis ND is supporting the game and that's what matters. If they left it out to die, no support whatsoever, everybody would be ready to cut open ND for selling them something that was inherently broken.

 

 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 69 (461 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/17/2011
Offline
122 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 28, 2012

I think Naughty Dog did put a bit too much pressure on themselves by announcing the release date too early, but that doesn't mean they didn't release a fantastic product. While at release the game was not 100% perfect, that does not mean that the game is poor quality or that ND didn't put any effort in. I think they worked extremely hard and released a multiplayer experience that is the best I have ever played, and when there were things that needed fixing or tweaking, they did that.

 

The fact that they are still trying to make the game better after this long, when so many other developers would have given up, shows to me that Naughty Dog are far and away the best developers around. I think they do care about the fans (although for some reason people on this forum seem to think otherwise).

 

Also, some people in this thread have said that the number of patches is too high, but don't forget that a lot of the patches were minor, like updates to include DLC packs, or the one that just deleted cinema files. It's not like every patch was a major patch to fix loads of broken stuff.

 

I think the Uncharted 3 multiplayer is much better than the Uncharted 2 multiplayer. I find it much more fun to play, and while there were a few specific elements that I slightly preferred in U2, overall I think Uncharted 3 has done a lot more right than it has done wrong.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 69 (437 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/04/2010
Offline
1430 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

It's kind of funny. All ND had to do is leaving the MP portion of the game EXACTLY like it was in the summer beta. The only improvement they had to do was to drastically reduce the blindfire (behind cover) hipfire accuracy and replace all RoF mods with Accuracy mods before the subway beta came out and be done with it.

Instead of messing around with the sprint, making hipfire more accurate than aiming (seriously!), removing stopping power, adding loads of recoil to the turrets, changing the sniper scopes, needless over the top aim assist (even now), removing the "sliding to cover" animation and "earthquake" effect when meleeing someone which we even had in UC2, not beeing able to change taunts mid-game, unified hitboxes...


The ONLY improvement ND made to the subway beta release was making the throwback bar white to be much more visible but messed up the whole throwback system instead (range and throwback time).

 

How can a company make such a nearly "complete" MP experience and then change EVERYTHING for the worse for the 2nd BETA release.

 

If they would have focused more on the Singleplayer like they did with UC2 than we would have a SP store like in UC2 and the MP wouldn't have been so messed up because they wouldn't have time to do all that needless cr*p.

 

ALL the patches we have now could have gone towards improving customization, adding new modes much sooner and technical fixes like removing and party splitting issues INSTEAD of having to patch the game countless times to be more like the summer beta and they will NEVER reach that goal...rather don't even care.

 

If Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley would have been the directors again I BET they would have said after the summer beta ended: "The MP is fine, let's put our focus and strength on polishing up the SP campaign"

--------ND/SCEE: UNCENSOR TLOU EU MP ALREADY!--------
----Greetings from Sony Censortainment Network Europe----
------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------




Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 69 (429 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4568 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 28, 2012

klrp wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:

 

  • Yes they did, you know that- I know that- everyone knows Unxharywd 3 was rushed. And that is why the SP was garbage compared to Uncharyed 1 and 2.
    Sorry I didn't hear you, did you say the SP was GARBAGE?! Oh well apparently you were drunk when you wrote this, you even forgot how to spell Uncharted correctly two times :smileywink:

    thelegendaryD wrote:

     

    • You waited months to patch the KAL, GMAL, and Rate of Fire

    You don't always get what you want


    • You need forumers to tell you how to make your game better

    You don't always get what you want

    • You (obviously) did not test these weapons or bugs in the game

    You don't always get what you want

    • Uncharted 3 came out a lot earlier than what many fans have expected

     You don't always get what you want

garbage compared to uncharted 1 and 2.

 

And the spelling mistakes are from stupid autocorrect. It's the same reason why there are dots on my e's o's and y's sometimes. If I make a spelling mistake my phone saves it and thinks its right, so if don't feel like trying to fix the autocorrect I will just leave the mistake and hope everyone will understand.

SLB.png


Hi-5.png

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 69 (400 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 01/30/2010
Offline
3215 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 28, 2012

@SLEAZE

 

Indeed the sad truth is that while UC3 was a poor game by Naughty Dog "standards", it was still of an above-average overall quality in relation to most of the gaming market during release. Were fans upset? Yes. Was the community frustrated? Yes. Did/does Sony care about any of that? Doubtful. Did/does ND care about any that? It's hard to say with certainty. I'm sure they do though we can't know to what degree, but there's nothing anyone can do about it now. Like I said, the best we can hope for is that they do their best to not repeat the same mistakes in the future.

 

Thankfully they've put in a good amount of effort into improving the game post-release (while on the other hand you could argue that they were patching up a game broken out of the gate rather than improving anything a whole lot). If they hadn't UC3 would have died completely many months ago, at least we can be grateful for that. Remember no matter how bad things get...

 

In all seriousness, the fact that despite all the missteps and frustrations the Uncharted community has endured over the years, the fact that so many of them still play the games online and care is a testament to the core of both what Uncharted is and how loyal they are.

 

In the end though I just hope ND reevaluates their focus on UC4 and go back to what made UC2 so great: the less is more mentality. Not so say we can't have plenty of new stuff, but I'd rather have less things done really well (UC2) than a ton of stuff done poorly (UC3). Wouldn't you?


LIVESTREAMING The Last of Us and Uncharted 3!

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 69 (375 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/18/2012
Offline
4325 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 28, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote:

@SLEAZE

 

Indeed the sad truth is that while UC3 was a poor game by Naughty Dog "standards", it was still of an above-average overall quality in relation to most of the gaming market during release. Were fans upset? Yes. Was the community frustrated? Yes. Did/does Sony care about any of that? Doubtful. Did/does ND care about any that? It's hard to say with certainty. I'm sure they do though we can't know to what degree, but there's nothing anyone can do about it now. Like I said, the best we can hope for is that they do their best to not repeat the same mistakes in the future.

 

Thankfully they've put in a good amount of effort into improving the game post-release (while on the other hand you could argue that they were patching up a game broken out of the gate rather than improving anything a whole lot). If they hadn't UC3 would have died completely many months ago, at least we can be grateful for that. Remember no matter how bad things get...

 

In all seriousness, the fact that despite all the missteps and frustrations the Uncharted community has endured over the years, the fact that so many of them still play the games online and care is a testament to the core of both what Uncharted is and how loyal they are.

 

In the end though I just hope ND reevaluates their focus on UC4 and go back to what made UC2 so great: the less is more mentality. Not so say we can't have plenty of new stuff, but I'd rather have less things done really well (UC2) than a ton of stuff done poorly (UC3). Wouldn't you?


U3 falls short compared to U2

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 69 (367 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 10/29/2009
Offline
1433 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 29, 2012

ffs the game is out for almost a year now...



Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 69 (337 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 08/25/2011
Offline
541 posts
 

Re: Naughty Dog, Did You Rush Uncharted 3?

Sep 29, 2012

shadowlibraboy wrote:
garbage compared to uncharted 1 and 2.

 

And the spelling mistakes are from stupid autocorrect. It's the same reason why there are dots on my e's o's and y's sometimes. If I make a spelling mistake my phone saves it and thinks its right, so if don't feel like trying to fix the autocorrect I will just leave the mistake and hope everyone will understand.


You could say it is not as good as 1 and 2, I agree with you on that. But the sp of UC3 was imo not way below u1 and 2 quality, just a bit below. So no garbage.

 

And why don't you just disable autocorrect :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 69 (293 Views)
Reply
0 Likes