Dec 14 2012
By: IVIaster_ZED Hekseville Citizen 392 posts

Offline Splitscreen Co-op FAQ

7 replies 10547 views Edited Dec 14, 2012
Uncharted 3 offline Co-op FAQ
General info on a mode all of maybe 12 people will ever play!

Author's note

This document is mostly for archival purposes, as I doubt there are many, if any, serious offline splitscreen players out there, or even very many people considering touching it.  I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only serious player, to be honest.  However, should there actually be someone out there that wants to play and needs answers, or is just curious, it can't hurt to put this guide on the web.

Be aware that any bugs mentioned are very unlikely to be fixed, as this is the least popular mode in all of Uncharted MP history.  The only possible exception would be the Tournament prize locking glitch, since other undiscovered but related bugs may be lurking in the code.

This guide is accurate as of online version 1.15.074 / offline version 1.15.059.  With any luck, I'll never have to update this thing.

Access

In order to access the mode at all, you must have a second controller connected.

New profiles

When a new profile is created, it will start as would be normal for an online profile (rank 1 with default settings) with one difference: money starts at $0, as would be normal for a LAN profile.  All beta rewards such as cash, Emblems and Treasures apply, though the Treasure rewards are strictly for Legend sets that can never be completed in the first place.

Player count

Offline Co-op has no LAN capability, and therefore no way to log in a third player.  Furthermore, there is no way to use a second profile: player 2 will always be a guest, and nothing it does will be saved to the system.  The Leave Splitscreen option exists on the main menu to "refresh" player 2 with player 1's current statistics and character setup.  Attempting to play a custom game alone will result in the usual not enough players message, and player 2 will automatically be signed back in when you return to the main menu.

Profile and party menu

What functions?

The DLC, Free For All Default, and Lock Party options do nothing, as there is no matchmaking, Free For All, Three Team Deathmatch, or LAN capability.  Furthermore, while the ability to select villains and customize competitive loadouts exists, neither is usable beyond customizing what weapons are displayed on the center character in the main menu (mods do not appear) and looking at an unusable Villain character.  The Medals menu is exactly like LAN Party in that it displays and gives information on how medals are obtained, but does not track them or provide monetary info.  The Statistics card may partially function if signed into PSN, displaying correct legacy/rank, current XP, and money available.  The Competitive/Co-op stat tabs don't appear, however, and the only stats shown are those for competitive.  It is evident that the game does track some relevant Co-op data regardless of the inability to display it (see Online and total statistics bugs).

While the Co-op Loadout menus work perfectly fine for in-game cash purchases (as do Comp. Loadouts in case a player wants to spend money on unusable weapon mods), it became impossible to purchase almost all skins, Custom character pieces, Emblem pieces, and Taunts with in-game cash when the Store option was added.  While DLC downloads do work in offline Co-op, in-game cash does not because the game will not respond when an item with a shopping cart symbol going in and out is chosen (the dialog box likely doesn't exist in this mode).  Player 2 can buy whatever it wants since guest accounts don't get Store options.

Djinn and Shade character pieces can never be unlocked, as the Tournament is not available.  Offline Co-op profiles can equip most Tournament weapons in their competitive loadouts with the exception of Fireball weapons, however.  The M9, Dragon and FAL are locked again due to the permanent lack of Tournament rank, while as in LAN, the Fireball AK, G-MAL and KAL are completely unavailable.

In the Taunt menu, again as in LAN Party, the Top Model taunt does not exist.  While this is a problem in LAN Party when attempting to play online-recorded Cinemas that contain the taunt (the game will freeze), there is no such detriment in offline Co-op.

What can be purchased with in-game cash?

Skins
Nathan Drake

Character pieces
Ammo Vest (Custom Hero)

All boosters, weapon mods, and kickbacks (w/matching rank or higher)

Can treasures be collected to unlock items?  How can I see what I have?

Yes, though it is unknown if the Adventure treasures and drops that were glitched previously have been repaired offline.  These include the Patterned Ring on London Underground (came up blank and wouldn't register for most of the party), the Skull Bead on Monastery (a Team Deathmatch treasure would appear instead), and the Cluster Bomber on Syria (was able to drop any of the treasures in the Wrath set, not just the Wrathful Mask) for reference's sake.

The Treasures listing won't appear under the Records tab in your profile menu, but one can always access it by highlighting an item locked by treasures and pressing Square.  Since there is no way to gather all of the Legend set treasures, the only way to completely lose access to the Treasures menu would be to both buy all of the treasure weapon DLC for the competitive modes and complete your character piece and Adventure skin collection by whichever means are possible.

Does Legacy exist offline?

Yes.  Currently there are no known bugs with offline Legacy, so Legacy 5 Max Rank should be possible.*  For the curious, the $10K starter cash is awarded when one's Legacy level is increased, unlike when creating a new profile, and all associated rewards such as Doughnut Talbot do become accessible.

* It is unknown if anyone has gotten that far.  As of this writing, I have reached Legacy 3 Rank 42, and the Legacy option does not inform me that I have reached the maximum level, so I am assuming access to the new levels exists.  If not, this portion should be updated by the end of the year.

Playing the game

What game types are available?

Co-op Arena, Co-op Adventure, and Co-op Shade Survival.  Aside from the two player limitation barring access to things like Flynn's exquisite commentary on Fort Adv., they mostly play the same as they would online.  Co-op Hunter Arena involves PvP competition and is therefore sorted under LAN Party.

Out of curiosity, is the game playable alone?

Yes, to a point.  The Adventure maps Monastery and Syria have instances that require two player characters to work together, but the worst such puzzle is lifting the statues in Syria to retrieve idols, and all that requires is that you hold Triangle down on one controller and press Triangle on another at the same time.  It is otherwise hypothetically possible to finish any map on any difficulty completely with one character.  Practicality is another matter, but Crushing Arena, if nothing else, is in the realm of possibility as far as actually finishing a match is concerned.

On the subject of maps, there is a glitch that causes Molten Ruins to use its previous weapon layout from before Shade Survival's introduction, which included the FAL-SS and Raffica.  It would not be surprising if other maps experienced the same thing, such as Airstrip, but this bug has only been witnessed in Molten Ruins.

Any splitscreen quirks I should be aware of?  I can't not play splitscreen in this mode, after all!

This applies to splitscreen in all modes universally.

Typical audio ques may become unreliable, as the game may prefer to output what the second player is hearing.  As if choker breathing volume weren't already unreliable enough, splitscreen can make it impossible to determine by hearing alone how close the choker is to either character.

Also, fake weapon mods, both otherwise real, unavailable in Co-op, and glitch, may appear on your weapons and even NPCs.  For example, G-MALs may display every mod but Clip Size regardless of their actual presence, including Max Ammo and both the normal rifle butt and Blindfire Accuracy mod at the same time.  Mods that are legitimately installed will appear as normally as possible.  Glitch mods include a strange blackened addition to the M9 that may be an early Blindfire mod (judging from its placement vs. the BFA mods on handguns), and a "Reload Speed" mod on the FAL-SS that's missing the second clip.

The game says my boosters are making progress, but they keep resetting!  What gives?

Partial progress on boosters will not be saved between matches, though the game will appear to do so at first, unless you're signed into PSN.  A full level up, however, will be recorded successfully whether signed in or not.

Why is the time always 0:00 under Match Statistics?

It's a bug.  Sign into PSN.  This is no guarantee the time will be displayed correctly, however; it merely increases the odds that you'll be able to see the time post-match.  It doesn't always work online either.

Online and total statistics bugs

- Online Co-op leaderboard stats will be replaced by the offline profile's if signed in when an offline match is played.  Playing Co-op online will correct this, but this glitch is the only way to see the total money earned and time spent for your offline profile.  Time spent on the leaderboard will only display time spent while signed into PSN, as total time is not tracked for offline profiles otherwise.

- Accessing an offline Co-op profile at all will lock your online profile's Tournament prizes when you log into online MP (I don't know if Djinn is affected).  Restarting the game will prevent/fix this, but if any of those items were in use and the player did go online, they will have to be manually set up again.

Final word

I neglected to mention gameplay tips since there is no difference from online splitscreen when two people are playing, and very few people play "alone" or truly alone.  I could put the latter in, it just feels like a waste of effort if there's no demand for such info.

As for why I made this FAQ, I'm the only serious player of offline Co-op: no one else could or would do it.  Observation and documentation are what I tend to do best anyhow.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (10,547 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3702 posts

Re: Offline Splitscreen Co-op FAQ

Dec 14, 2012
It's really nice seeing threads like this on the forum.
Keep up the good work :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (10,519 Views)
Survivor
2192 posts

Dec 14, 2012

IVIaster_ZED wrote:

Offline Co-op has no LAN capability

anyone willing to explain how to play on LAN, apparently ND has put tons of custom weapons that are only visible in LAN

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (10,499 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1869 posts

Dec 14, 2012

canadian94eh wrote:

IVIaster_ZED wrote:

anyone willing to explain how to play on LAN, apparently ND has put tons of custom weapons that are only visible in LAN

After the title screen, it shows four options, "Campagin", "Multiplayer", "Co-op" and "Store". Selete Multiplayer, but don't press Play Online, go to LAN under it, enter a name, and you'll go to a lobby where everything is unlocked (expect store bought items).
Pepsi
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (10,489 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2192 posts

Dec 14, 2012

SjShane wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

IVIaster_ZED wrote:

After the title screen, it shows four options, "Campagin", "Multiplayer", "Co-op" and "Store". Selete Multiplayer, but don't press Play Online, go to LAN under it, enter a name, and you'll go to a lobby where everything is unlocked (expect store bought items).

really? that sounds so simple, i've never noticed that before, i'll have to check it later, any consequences for going on LAN (any glitches)?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (10,480 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1869 posts

Dec 14, 2012
Nothing that I'm aware of.

There was the glitch where you got to ride the Hammer boat on Graveyard (it hadn't been patched in LAN, it might have been by now though), it seemed to crash my game everytime and caused a few problems, so just don't do that.
Pepsi
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (10,460 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 8, 2014

I actually use the Co-Op to play with cousin when she comes over. She is a total n00b:cattongue: but we still have fun. And is it possible to fix the bug that player one cant buy items. (So yes, there is a Co-op player out there).

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (3,558 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jan 9, 2014

PepperButler wrote:

And is it possible to fix the bug that player one cant buy items. (So yes, there is a Co-op player out there).

Delete the patch data.  You could still buy the cart-locked stuff with in-game cash until 1.15, I think (whatever patch hit in Aug '12), so you could boot up the unpatched game, make your purchases, then update.  I'd make sure you have everything set to original stuff first though (no DLC taunts, no special shirts or hats, no Spyder or GA Drake or whatnot), who knows what the original game will do if you still have those things selected.

Also, just to cover all the bases, I have no idea how the original game will react if your profile is already at Legacy 4 or 5.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (3,541 Views)
0 Likes