Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 16 2013
By: mat1995ps Lombax Warrior 139 posts

PS3 Strange Noise

7 replies 227 views Edited Jul 16, 2013

Hi.First,sorry for posting this here but i´ve already posted twice in the support and nobody posted anything.I have a little problem with my PS3.In my house,if i turn on my shower or something that takes more energy,my PS3 starts to do a weird noise(probably coming from power supply).It only do this noise when the shower is on or something that takes more energy is active,i´ve already confirmed.My PS3 will make the noise even in stand by(The noise appear with the PS3 on and off).I´m not having any problems and my PS3 doesn´t overheat or make anything similar.Anybody know what is happening?Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Re: PS3 Strange Noise

Jul 16, 2013
What kind of noise? Ex.grinding noise, whirling noise, etc.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Jul 16, 2013

It´s a whirling noise

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (224 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Jul 16, 2013
What part of your shower is connected to your electric? Never heard of that.

Anyway, lets assume that the shower IS using some form of electricity. This would be more of a distributive issue. When there's not enough power to go around, lights dim a bit or flicker, A/C might start to slow down for a bit etc. Especially when something first kicks on. Different devices react differently to this. I'm not sure how a ps3 reacts. Maybe that's a normal reaction.

If it turns into more if a problem I would either contact contact Sony, or try to fix the problem on your own. Maybe a surge protector would fix the problem by helping to maintain a steady current.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Yes,that is the point i wanted to know.I think you´re right about the shower taking more energy and the A/C slowing down but... Can this be dangerous to my PS3?This really only happens when the shower is on.Can something eventually break or cause any damage to my PS3?My power supply is working good or there is a problem?I´ve also read that the PS3 power supply is universal so there is no problem?The A/C when slowed down can cause any problem to PS3 or to the A/C itself? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Universal_power_supply I´m worried about this,i dont wanna lose it because of a silly thing:smileyfrustrated: Sorry for a lot of questions i just want to make it clear.And like i said, my PS3 is working fine

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (210 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Jul 16, 2013
I don't expect this to cause any problem. The real purpose of a surge protector is just that, to protect devices from a surge of electricity. This sounds to be a weakened current issue.

When the shower is on, what else is on in the bathroom? A light? Is there also an exhaust fan that turns on as well? A light/exhaust fan combo is something that is notorious for causing short lapses in current supply.

Still though, I've never heard of a ps3 having issues from lack of current. If anything, it might lose power and shut off.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Jul 16, 2013

It´s only the shower.My biggest fear is the energy change that my PS3 receive.I mean,is it harmful?Is it harmful to the A/C cord or for the power supply if this keeps happening?When the shower is on,everything works flawlessly but i dont know if this is good or normal for the PS3 or the PS3 power supply and the A/C cord can eventually burn or something even worse can happen.My PS3 never turned off by itself.I just wanna know if it is harmful to run the PS3 with low energy,if something can happen like power supply burn,HDD damage,processor damage,or any damage that can happen with the PS3 while running it with low energy.

Thanks for your attention

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2011 posts

Jul 16, 2013
It's a bomb you better start running!!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (169 Views)