Sackboy
376 posts

Re: Petition to merge all maps into rotation

Feb 13, 2014

runner21 wrote:

HIhi2442 wrote:

I haven't played in like a month, but I'm all for this. Also, as  @SjShane mentioned, all the DLC maps are less than 1GB combined so I'm sure that having a forced download of them wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think it would be a problem, but you have to remember, it's the idea. It's just not a practical business approach. No matter how dead and small the player pool may seem, or how little Naughty Dog seems to care about Uncharted 3, they are still a business. And to a business, one or two upset customers is worse than a split player pool, especially at this stage of the game's life, where they are making very little revenue anyway.

2 upset customers are not worse. Once they have their day 1 revenue, they release some dlc to earn some more.

What  2 customers think will not change the fact that they already have acquired their goal.

Besides that, unlike what most people on this forum have done over the past 2 years, not everyone plays the same game all the time (a quick generalization), and with the market making the shift to download only titles (=/= physical games dying)

I don't think many people can spare the 780 MB or so.. I know I sometimes can't.

For example I am forced to download some dlc (which requires you to purchase the unlock key in order to play, not a problem with skins etc for compatibility, but it is when it's a dlc which requires you to purchase an unlock key in order to play it..)

So anyway, I want to play said game online, so I download it...

2 days later or so I want to download game X, 15 GB. i have 29 GB of free space, and guess what I will need to do...

forced deleting games of my hdd. Because Sony thought it was smart to require you to double the download size available on your hdd in order to download (not a problem, I can delete one of my backlog games, postponing playing the game even further ahead)...  now downloading isn't an issue for me, I have unlimited bytes of download freedom but not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a first world country (a country in Europe). I'm pointing at you AMERICA!

I believe they succeed at being more corrupt than Poland was with maffia deals holding back the internet speed, along with high prices.

Unlimited highspeed internet isn't something common for the next 10 years in the USA..  luckily Google Fiber has arrived to bring some change to the scene for them.

To quote someone relevant to that ^^:  ''There is no public data that gives a complete picture of the speed improvements or price reductions that Internet service providers in the Kansas City area made in response to the beginning of the Google service, which delivers broadband over fiber-optic lines.''

Oh really? ^LOL. People just don't release how much they are getting screwed over unless put into comparison with something superior.  Anyway, this may be going a little bit too deep into it. I sometimes forget in which forums I'm posting, but hey it's always good to educate yourself.

It's something different than laaaggger this, lagger that, etc.. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 229 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2203 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2014
@-runner21 There's many upset customers with the game in it's current state. Free To Play players are being hunted by stat junkies, these new players could be earning ND more profits, but they give up on the game before they decide to buy anything. There's also many players who no longer risk playing solo in fear they will be placed against a party of five with only newbies on their team. Everyone complains about lag on a constant basis, and people waste a lot of time trying to find a game in any mode other than Team Deathmatch. And there's also the awful map weights, and exploitable features which let players avoid the map packs they don't like. With the amount of problems this would fix, I think those risks would be worth it, but the thing is it seems unlikely that there are any risks.

Tapantaola sent me this:

"Playing UC3 MP for many hours on a daily basis consumes a lot of traffic. Roughly around 1GB per hour. Also, 12GB consoles cannot use the F2P client, because there's not enough space, since you need double the amount of space and the usable capacity is around 8GB."

@-IzunaShisui If someone couldn't spare the small amount of space it requires and still wants to play this game on a regular basis, the GOTY edition has all the DLC maps on the disc, that's what they should be using if they really can't spare less than 1GB for a game they want to play. In fact, most people should already own it by now if free space really is an issue for them.
Pepsi
Message 22 of 229 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1263 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2014

Glad to see you brought some facts here, and I'm not being sarcastic. While I don't know why Naughty Dog can't force the download, they stated that they can't. Even though everyone here seems to see ND as a lazy devil, I will take their word on this. I was trying to come up with a logical answer to this situation, and I'll except mine as a flawed (yet possible) idea. Perhaps you have an one?

Message 23 of 229 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2203 posts

Feb 13, 2014
I don't see them as lazy because of this, maybe uninformed on the issue, or maybe they don't even think there is an issue. There hasn't been much talk of patching the maps into the game until recent. I believe I was once told a while back that they prefer giving players the choice to download the maps, freedom of choice or something along those lines, I may have that slightly wrong though, so don't quote me on that, but if that is the reason, they need to rethink their priorities.

Even if they don't patch the maps into the game, if they could at least acknowledge the issues of splitting the player pool in future games, a lot of problems can be prevented.
Pepsi
Message 24 of 229 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2770 posts

Feb 13, 2014

They can force the download if they really wanted to. Just like how they said they couldn't reset everyone's loadouts after patch 1.18 but had to eat their words when the booster stacking was getting out of control.

All they have to do is remove the individual map packs & bundle all the maps into one file as a mandatory update before they can connect to UC3 similar to how the online pass works.

Patch 1.18 was 530MB & everyone downloaded it, so a 740+ MB download really shouldn't be a problem for people with crappy net. And i'm sure HDD space isn't an issue.

Message 25 of 229 (397 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1263 posts

Feb 13, 2014

SjShane wrote:

Even if they don't patch the maps into the game, if they could at least acknowledge the issues of splitting the player pool in future games, a lot of problems can be prevented.

Let's hope. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 229 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Feb 26, 2014
Ok so this thread is getting bumped out. This is really desired from the community. Im only replying so this thread gets bumped to the top and more ppl see it. We need this man. Cmon community, we know this is desired gravely!
Message 27 of 229 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13842 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2014

There are two ways of doing this.

One preferred way and one negative way.

Preferred: Patch 1.19

All maps in the patch,

removes DLC toggle

Forced download:

Maybe that would need a patch too. I don't know. Maybe just a live update though not allowing players without all the maps to play at all. With a message and a link to the maps.

I prefer the first option though. I really don't like the second one at all.

Message 28 of 229 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2203 posts

Mar 1, 2014
Question dodged!

And and another map pack for TLOU.

Forever doomed...
Pepsi
Message 29 of 229 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13842 posts

Mar 2, 2014

SjShane wrote:
Question dodged!

And and another map pack for TLOU.

Forever doomed...

I'll give ND some kudos. I didn't expect TLOU to last this long with it's 3 modes.

Not afraid to admit I called that one wrong.

Message 30 of 229 (203 Views)
0 Likes