Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2127 posts

Re: Ping filter toggle - SUPPORT for less lag! [100+ kudos]

Feb 7, 2013

Hey you thread that makes sense don't go to far away.

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/291671682.png
Please use plain text.
Message 291 of 336 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

Here's a technical explanation of the "curving bullets" phenomenon (getting hit behind cover/walls):

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compensation

There are a couple of ways to solve this:

1) Minimize lag (i.e. ping filter toggle, F2P, free DLC maps & no DLC toggle, consolidated playlists).

2) Let the clients perform hit detection. This shouldn't be an issue, considering the fact that PS3 consoles cannot be hacked (jailbreak/CFW) and connect to the PSN without repercussions (you will get a permanent console ban if you do this).

Packet tampering can be prevented if the communication is encrypted in the first place. I presume that ND cannot program this one due to "technical difficulties", but it should be a given for future projects.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 292 of 336 (294 Views)
Wastelander
820 posts

Feb 8, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Since ND added the stat hat toggle, how about a ping filter toggle as well?

How would it work:
On = find players with 5 connection bars (100ms maximum latency)
Off = find players ASAP regardless of latency

For parties it would work exactly like the DLC toggle -> only the party leader's toggle/latency would matter.

If the leader is from EU, it would find players from neighbouring EU countries. If the leader is from NA, it would find players from the US, Canada etc.

Who else wants this feature?

edit:

ND's response here -> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Region-lock-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...

what? in english please. and yes i am american and hate fighting those europeans, they are lag.

The Kingdom of Longbow shall reign forever, for it is written in the stars above~
Please use plain text.
Message 293 of 336 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3510 posts

Feb 8, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Here's a technical explanation of the "curving bullets" phenomenon (getting hit behind cover/walls):

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compensation

There are a couple of ways to solve this:

1) Minimize lag (i.e. ping filter toggle, F2P, free DLC maps & no DLC toggle, consolidated playlists).

2) Let the clients perform hit detection. This shouldn't be an issue, considering the fact that PS3 consoles cannot be hacked (jailbreak/CFW) and connect to the PSN without repercussions (you will get a permanent console ban if you do this).

Packet tampering can be prevented if the communication is encrypted in the first place. I presume that ND cannot program this one due to "technical difficulties", but it should be a given for future projects.

As much as I want to think the issue is distance between players and the difference in ping between players, I am starting to think there is just some built in lag sometimes. Scorpion's awesome write up in the "Lag: we need your help" thread by Cog, has a pretty telling story of how bad lag can be between 2 people VERY close (in the same house) and with similar internet speeds but different ISPs. He and his friend observed major lag in the 400ms range just between them. Sitting in the same room. And I'm noticing the hit detection, bullet sponge and double damage issues all the time lately. And I haven't really seen that many KSA/MEX/BRA/ARG/CHN/JPN players lately to be honest. They are speaking English with an American accent (I'm in the eastern U.S.). I guess they can still have issues of course, but it's just so prevalent right now.

Maybe they could do something about this in the 1.17 patch. It's been the worst it's ever been this past week for me. And just plain bad since they implemented 1.15

Shotguns don't kill people. Grenades have no effect. 2 punches... not enough. I die in 2-3 M9 bullets. I punch first, they punch 2 times before I can get off my 2nd punch (no rolling). It's just plain bad. Not to mention the party split increases, white plug deaths, white plug disconnects (I haven't seen this crap until 1.15), and the rash of players not being able to sync levels. Oh and of course the dead body glitch. Time to do something to address this ND.

Please use plain text.
Message 294 of 336 (250 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 8, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:

As much as I want to think the issue is distance between players and the difference in ping between players, I am starting to think there is just some built in lag sometimes. Scorpion's awesome write up in the "Lag: we need your help" thread by Cog, has a pretty telling story of how bad lag can be between 2 people VERY close (in the same house) and with similar internet speeds but different ISPs. He and his friend observed major lag in the 400ms range just between them. Sitting in the same room. And I'm noticing the hit detection, bullet sponge and double damage issues all the time lately. And I haven't really seen that many KSA/MEX/BRA/ARG/CHN/JPN players lately to be honest. They are speaking English with an American accent (I'm in the eastern U.S.). I guess they can still have issues of course, but it's just so prevalent right now.

Lag/latency can be caused by many things, not just geographical distance.

If 2 people living in the same house have 400ms of latency then it means that one of their ISPs is having network congestion issues... this is very common in Cable/DOCSIS, because one neighbourhood has to share the same coaxial cable.

It can also happen in low-end DSL connections (<256Kbps) that lose packets, WiFi connections that lose packets due to interference from 2.4GHz sources or congested international optical fibres.

So yeah, latency (no matter what causes it) amplifies the "curving bullets" phenomenon.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 295 of 336 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
32 posts

Feb 8, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:

Maybe they could do something about this in the 1.17 patch. It's been the worst it's ever been this past week for me. And just plain bad since they implemented 1.15

Shotguns don't kill people. Grenades have no effect. 2 punches... not enough. I die in 2-3 M9 bullets. I punch first, they punch 2 times before I can get off my 2nd punch (no rolling). It's just plain bad. Not to mention the party split increases, white plug deaths, white plug disconnects (I haven't seen this crap until 1.15), and the rash of players not being able to sync levels. Oh and of course the dead body glitch. Time to do something to address this ND.

I see this often when playing against foreign teams.  I naively blame the ND lag compensation algorithm.  I think its over-powered.  I believe ND's alogithm is nerfing you when:

1. The game framerate drops and gamplay becomes jittery
  2. You can't throw back grenades, even tho you know you timed it correctly
  3. Your M9 stutters ( i mostly use M9 but I believe all guns suffer from this - "jamming", please)
  4. Your M9 auto aim decreases - you just can't seem to keep the reticle on the opponent
  5. The opponent is a bullet sponge, and you insta-die
  6. You land two melee's and the opponent doesn't die

Did I miss any?

--------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 296 of 336 (225 Views)
Fender Bender
3510 posts

Feb 9, 2013
^exactly^

I notice subtle screen jitters and auto aim issues early in matches sometimes too. But lately its happening throughout matches. Everyone on my team seems to notice it too. Its like the game chose the worst host possible. And typically during these times bullets just don't hit like they dhould. T-Bolt direct hits don't kill. SAS point blank shots do nothing. And unfortunately this has been very common lately.
Please use plain text.
Message 297 of 336 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
249 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Honestly the game is worse now for me than it was on day one of the summer beta.  Tons of white plug everywhere, lag punches for miles, being shot through walls, throwing grenades back and still being blown up, headshots with the Dragon giving $25 instead of a kill, two melees in a row not killing someone...

These are problems that a game has in the first couple of WEEKS if at all!  How can you be so completely inept Naughty Dog?  I really don't understand it because most if not all of these issues were taken care of by the end of the summer time beta! 

My hypothesis is that when summer ended Team A went to work on the Last of Us, and the shortbus Team B took over and subsequently ruined everything that Team A had done. 

FIX YOUR GAME NAUGHTY DOG.  STOP FOCUSING RESOURCES ON STUPID TOURNAMENT MODES, AND FIX ANY ONE OF THE MYRIAD OF PROBLEMS THIS GAME HAS.  PRETTY PLEASE.  WITH A CHERRY ON TOP.

I don't understand how we are this far into Uncharted 3's lifespan and are still dealing with all of these problems.  Get it together Naughty Dog!

Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - mrkaizoku
Please use plain text.
Message 298 of 336 (186 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Give it up, this game is never going to be fixed. The fans of this game fought the good fight but ultimately have lost. Stop torturing yourselves and let it go.

Custom firmware can already get on the PSN rather easily these days, actually. Consoles can be unbanned using different console ID's. Trusting the client for hit detection wouldn't be a great idea.

Please use plain text.
Message 299 of 336 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 25, 2013

ERROR-Invalid_ID wrote:

Trusting the client for hit detection wouldn't be a great idea.

Still though, there are no hacked Uncharted executables. Why? Because Uncharted is a niche MP game.

Maybe you can find hacked executables for CoD or Halo, since those are way more popular MP games...

Please use plain text.
Message 300 of 336 (127 Views)