Reply
Survivor
Registered: 05/16/2011
Offline
2178 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012
The only thing is, there might not be enough players. Only reason I can think of for why they won't make a region lock toggle. And matchmaking takes so long in this game for some reason. Call of Duty 4 has a much smaller player pool, but finds me games instantly. Call of Duty 4 also has no region lock, so why is the matchmaking so swift. Uncharted 3 takes forever to find 1 player in comparison. It can't be the pool on that.

Message 31 of 291 (858 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Online
3797 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

jjjkur wrote:
The only thing is, there might not be enough players. Only reason I can think of for why they won't make a region lock toggle. And matchmaking takes so long in this game for some reason. Call of Duty 4 has a much smaller player pool, but finds me games instantly. Call of Duty 4 also has no region lock, so why is the matchmaking so swift. Uncharted 3 takes forever to find 1 player in comparison. It can't be the pool on that.

Are you sure it doesn't?

I had some one arguing his teeth out that Black ops has no region toggle and he finds players instantly and with no lag.

 

He simply did not know to hit the select button will in the choose game type lobby.

He also did not know it was set to local only by default.

It asks how do you want to search for players, local, local only, world wide.

 

Any time I play it I choose local only and find players in very short times with very minimal lag.

 

 

If anything we all I'm sure would agree would be worth a try for the lab. It's for experiments any way right?

Try it and then we can go from there.

 

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 32 of 291 (844 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/29/2009
Online
5219 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

jjjkur wrote:
The only thing is, there might not be enough players. Only reason I can think of for why they won't make a region lock toggle. And matchmaking takes so long in this game for some reason. Call of Duty 4 has a much smaller player pool, but finds me games instantly. Call of Duty 4 also has no region lock, so why is the matchmaking so swift. Uncharted 3 takes forever to find 1 player in comparison. It can't be the pool on that.

Are you sure it doesn't?

I had some one arguing his teeth out that Black ops has no region toggle and he finds players instantly and with no lag.

 

He simply did not know to hit the select button will in the choose game type lobby.

He also did not know it was set to local only by default.

It asks how do you want to search for players, local, local only, world wide.

 

Any time I play it I choose local only and find players in very short times with very minimal lag.

 

 

If anything we all I'm sure would agree would be worth a try for the lab. It's for experiments any way right?

Try it and then we can go from there.

 


 

ND Can't implement matchmaking for purely one specific playlist only. The matchmaking has to be consistent with the other modes so lab has to share matchmaking algorithms with TDM and so on.

 

Either way lag is bad, rather have matchmaking options to the likes of Halo or Black Ops.

Message 33 of 291 (833 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Online
3797 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

tack129 wrote:

Playing lone wolf, this toggle will do nothing. I would have to turn it off if I want to be able to find players at all. Hardly anyone plays this game in my area. I'll be brutally honest in that there just isn't enough players to implement such a feature. Especially in countries such as mine.

 

If I'm buddying up with my friends I will be facing bad lag anyway. It won't help or benefit me anyway.

 

But on the other hand this would be a better alternative to that bad matchmaking we already have. Levelled based matchmaking sucks. Rather have a connection toggle to switch between the old matchmaking algorithm and the new matchmaking algorithm.


 

http://bf3stats.com/

 

PC

online 26 813

PS3 online <<<<<<<<<<<<< yep thats it. 49 thousand players. Sorry mate but those numbers dont lie.

49 241

360 online

45 222

BF3 has regional dedicated servers. If ND was more trasparent about how many people are playing we could back your statement. 3 weeks ago I played U2 and there were 26 thousand players online. Just a thought.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 34 of 291 (830 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Online
20407 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012

tack129 wrote:

Either way lag is bad, rather have matchmaking options to the likes of Halo or Black Ops.


 

I liked the way BO1 used a region toggle. Press Select at the menu and you can set it to 1 of 3 options. Felt good.

 

Then again, CoD had a much larger player pool and made a the toggle useful. Uncharted isn't such a big game and a toggle may or may not be better.

Message 35 of 291 (829 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Offline
4129 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012
Why are some people confused about tge word TOGGLE? I mean seriously, it's an option not mandatory. Hell the way ND usually does things it probably won't work half the time anyway. I still see DLC maps with DLC off (lone wolf no party).

And wait times... I doubt it takes much longer. Well, I do live on the east coast, so I guess I'll have an advantage over other regions. But I don't really care how long it takes to find a good match. Its worth it to have opponents die on time and not shotgun M9 me. I can wait, its no problem.
Message 36 of 291 (814 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine from another thread, with a few additions:


tack129 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

tack129 wrote:

 

I'll get the negatives out of the way first:

 

- Lag is godawful, worse than before the update, the matchmaking while in theory would have been a good idea unfortunately it has made it exactly like UC2 which is horrid and laggy. It could also be the new PS3 patch as I had problems with my PS3 after installing 4.30 but still it's rather laggy.

This is my main complaint and may prohibit my enjoyment of the game. However I know that there are people that would prefer level-based matchmaking. I think there should be a matchmaking toggle to search for connection or for level.


http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Region-lock-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...


I already posted in there and gave reasons why I'm not supporting THAT toggle. It's just looking for a connection to your region only (region locking, something I'm against), not for finding the closest or best possible connection to you (ie just ping and connection based).

 


You misunderstood. Read the OP again, it would search for players with 100ms latency at most or less than that. So, it's not a strict "region lock" per se. Some countries belong in different regions/continents*, but they are close geographically, so they may have less than 100ms of latency.

I understand that the player pool is not that big in AUS/NZ as it is in NA or EU, but it's better than letting NA and EU players to suffer the consequences of lag. It would be optional, so anyone who doesn't want to wait longer to find players, he/she could just turn it off.

*Examples:

Spain (Europe) <-> Morocco (Africa)
Greece (Europe) <-> Turkey (Asia)

That is assuming that there is a direct optic fiber connecting these countries to each other, because routing is more complicated sometimes.

It would always be optional and you could always invite friends from other continents to your lobby. It's just that only the leader's toggle/latency would matter in terms of matchmaking. So, if the party leader is from Brazil or Mexico and you are from NA or EU or AUS/NZ, then you shouldn't expect great results lag-wise... that's just common sense, isn't it?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 37 of 291 (795 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012

Maybe I should rename the thread's title to "Ping filter toggle" to be more accurate? Anyway, semantics or not, I think I got my point across...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 38 of 291 (766 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/28/2011
Online
3797 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 24, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Maybe I should rename the thread's title to "Ping filter toggle" to be more accurate? Anyway, semantics or not, I think I got my point across...


No need to change the title. Your point is valid and for good reasons.

I will continue to support you as long as the forum will let me.

 

 

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 39 of 291 (760 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/13/2010
Offline
216 posts
 

Re: Region lock toggle - SUPPORT for less lag!

Oct 25, 2012

I support less lag, but I think we should let ND decide how to do that based on what would have the most pros and least cons. Region lock is one way, but could make it harder or almost impossible for some people to find games. Other options could be:

 

1. Creating a unified player pool by releasing all dlc maps for free

2. Have matchmaking search only based on connection, and not rank

3. Combining some playlists into one, with voting options for each gametype

 

I know each of these options have pros and cons, and we should let ND decide what would be the most efficient way to reduce lag (which could also be something I haven't mentioned).

Message 40 of 291 (734 Views)
Reply
0 Likes