First Son
1 posts

Re: Please read if: spinning ring, disk not reading, U3 stops working

Jan 27, 2012

I too have the spinning ring problem. Game boots up just past the main menu until I select a game then the spinning ring comes up while its trying to load. The little orange loading light comes on for about 20 seconds while it tries to load then it goes out and the spinning ring just keeps spinning. I have the 40GB FAT PS3 and I'm located in the United States. All of my other games are working just fine, so I know its something to do with U3. I'm not going to try to play the game anymore until there is a solution for this because it seems to be bricking peoples systems now.

Message 31 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17413 posts

Jan 27, 2012

jleviathan wrote:

Hello any response?

Good luck with that.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 32 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1666 posts

Jan 27, 2012

Okay, so we've got an update.

I've sent a couple PMs with something which MAY help the spinning ring issue. We've seen just enough successes for this in a controlled group that we want to put this out there for anyone else affected with it to try. It hasnt worked for everyone we tried it with so far, so we need to narrow down what may have been the specific case there.

If you are experiencing the spinning ring and can't play Uncharted 3, please try the following steps:

This can only happen if you have access to a copy of Uncharted 1 or Uncharted 2.

1.  Go to your PS3 XMB

2.  Scroll right until you get to the "Game" icon

3.  Scroll up to "Game Data Utility" and hit X.

4.  Scroll down to the Uncharted 3 icon, hit Triangle and select "Delete."  Do this for any/all Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 items. ONLY do this in the Game Data Utility screen - this will NOT delete your game saves. But it will require you do re-download all previously released patches.

5.  Then, insert your copy of U1 or U2, load up the game and wait until it gets all the way to the main menu (and possibly start a new game, let it make a save file and then quit out).

6. Once you've done all that, put in U3 and see if it clears up the spinning ring and you get to play.  I would go ahead an try this a few times just to be sure.

IF you are still having the spinning ring or loading issues to play Uncharted 3 after trying all the steps above a few times, please either PM me directly or post below with the following information:

- Model of PS3 including model number (ex. CECH-2501A - found here: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1196)

- If you were experiencing the spinning ring before the release FW4.0 and/or Uncharted 3 Patch 1.03

IF these steps work, please send me a PM directly letting me know this was successful.

Thanks.

For the other issues, we're still working out on troubleshooting steps for some of the other individual cases. Sorry for the long process - and thanks for your patience.

Message 33 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Arne, it's not necessary to delete the Game Data files, nor do you need UC1/UC2 discs.

Any PS3 game disc can clear the HDD game cache (2GB):

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37347366#37347366

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 34 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Interesting - mixup of game data between UC versions.

Message 35 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jan 28, 2012

LariosoDog wrote:

Interesting - mixup of game data between UC versions.

Nope.

All PS3 games use a special partition of 2GB in the HDD to cache data from the Blu-Ray. That cache can become corrupted occasionally due to many reasons and loading another disc-based game clears the cache.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 36 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Hello Arne,

I'm having the spinning ring problem on my system. I did the procedure you heve requested step by step, but still stucked the same way, when I try to to load the U3, it gets to the spinning ring and stops there, like loading forever....

My cousin is having the same problem. We have identical system models: CECHE01. We are having the problem since FW4.0. Patch version seams to make no difference, I have installed and uninstalled the patches and makes no difference at all. While analising the PS3 models available I have noticed that our version is one of the only ones with software compatibility with PS2. Maybe this have something to do with the problem?

Good luck with your research. I'm 41 years old and a big fan of Uncharted series, maybe I'm not the regular user of this kind of game, but I really hope we can solve this problem so I can finally enjoy this version of the game.

If you need any further info, I would be glad to help.

Ivan Hoffmann

Message 37 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Hi I'm a UK user just reporting that there is aproblem here too.

I have the PS3 slim 250gb version purchased about the time U2 was released (part of a U2 bundle I think) and U3 is the only game in my collection of games which doesn't recognise the disc in the XMB.  I managed to fluke it once though, enough to download the 1.03 patch but that's it, nothing since.

I've tried the suggested solutions of clearing any U3 files from the Game Data Utility.

I've tried the safe mode options.

I've not tried tipping my console upright because this is not a hardware issue imo.

I've tried cleaning the disc.

I've tried cleaning the vents of the ps3 in case they have covered in dust.

I've tried 3 separate U3 discs.

I've tried playing another game for an hour or so to 'warm the ps3 up'.

I've made sure the parental control is set to 'off'.

The discs I've tried running are all region 2 which is correct for UK. The serial on the disc I currently have is BCES-01176

For the record, my game collection contains other dual layer Blu-ray discs Killzone 3, Resistance 3 and GOW3 and all work perfectly fine.  The ONLY game this happens to is U3. The symptoms are pretty much the same as a lot of people are experiencing; the disc spins, it makes the disc eject sound but nothign happens, the disc tries spinning again, the disc stops spinning.

Obviously it's pointless sending my ps3 to USA for many reasons but I'd still like help all the same.

Message 38 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Jan 28, 2012

same exact issue here i just swapped out for a new disk at gamestop and still the same sound.

model # cech-2101a 

Message 39 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
624 posts

Jan 29, 2012

arne wrote:

Okay, so we've got an update.

I've sent a couple PMs with something which MAY help the spinning ring issue. We've seen just enough successes for this in a controlled group that we want to put this out there for anyone else affected with it to try. It hasnt worked for everyone we tried it with so far, so we need to narrow down what may have been the specific case there.

If you are experiencing the spinning ring and can't play Uncharted 3, please try the following steps:

This can only happen if you have access to a copy of Uncharted 1 or Uncharted 2.

1.  Go to your PS3 XMB

2.  Scroll right until you get to the "Game" icon

3.  Scroll up to "Game Data Utility" and hit X.

4.  Scroll down to the Uncharted 3 icon, hit Triangle and select "Delete."  Do this for any/all Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 items. ONLY do this in the Game Data Utility screen - this will NOT delete your game saves. But it will require you do re-download all previously released patches.

5.  Then, insert your copy of U1 or U2, load up the game and wait until it gets all the way to the main menu (and possibly start a new game, let it make a save file and then quit out).

6. Once you've done all that, put in U3 and see if it clears up the spinning ring and you get to play.  I would go ahead an try this a few times just to be sure.

IF you are still having the spinning ring or loading issues to play Uncharted 3 after trying all the steps above a few times, please either PM me directly or post below with the following information:

- Model of PS3 including model number (ex. CECH-2501A - found here: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1196)

- If you were experiencing the spinning ring before the release FW4.0 and/or Uncharted 3 Patch 1.03

IF these steps work, please send me a PM directly letting me know this was successful.

Thanks.

For the other issues, we're still working out on troubleshooting steps for some of the other individual cases. Sorry for the long process - and thanks for your patience.

ok that's nice and all but what about me and a few other that ps3 won'r read any discs at all after playing uncharted 3.I've have completly reformated my ps3 and done just about everything you can do software wise.Will you be paying for my ps3 or will I have to buy a new ps3 so that it will re break after playing U3?Will I get my $$ back from you guys or whats the deal...You can check my profile and see that I've platinumed every Uncharted game and baught all dlc and this is how ND repays me?Thnx ND

Message 40 of 381 (5,301 Views)
0 Likes