Aug 19 2012
By: pdiss88 Treasure Hunter 5842 posts

RoF M9 "Nerf" = Massive Failure

86 replies 979 views Edited Aug 19, 2012

I know this is a hot button issue and there have been tons of threads made about it, but I haven't seen a lot of feedback on the first few pages regarding the RoF post-1.13.

My thoughts on the situation should be obvious from the title: this was NOT a "nerf" as much as a reduction in how much the mod increases your rate of fire, and just because they reduced it does NOT necessarily mean it is less effective. If anything, the mod is now MORE effective as it has just the right balance of recoil, accuracy and rate of fire. Before, as much as it pains me to say it, the mod took at least SOME skill to aim effectively with, as the recoil was significantly higher and you had to pull down on your right analog stick to keep your crosshair on the target. Now, the recoil is much more manageable but the gun STILL kills faster than a normal M9.

What's the problem, you might ask? Sure, the RoF does exactly what it's supposed to, which is increase the effectiveness of the gun, but I recall that large thread from a few weeks ago asking for a complete removal from the game, NOT a "10% reduction" which arguably made the mod better. If this is all ND is going to do to appease the people who realize how silly this mod is, it's not going to be enough. I'm seeing even MORE people running around with it than before the patch. I'm sure part of it is the GMAL nerf, but they could have just as easily gone to something like Marlowe's or Flynn's M9 but chose not to because the RoF is so manageable now.

Basically, this thing needs to go, not get a tiny "nerf" in an effort to rebalance it. It has no place on a long gun most effective when aiming, ESPECIALLY when the AK, GMAL, etc. don't have the same offerings. I'm seriously baffled as to why it's even in the game; people complained about the RoF mod on the AK in the summer beta so much that it didn't make it into the final version, but THIS did? Come on, it's the same **bleep** concept.

Message 1 of 87 (979 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
262 posts

Re: RoF M9 "Nerf" = Massive Failure

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2012

pdiss88 wrote:

I know this is a hot button issue and there have been tons of threads made about it, but I haven't seen a lot of feedback on the first few pages regarding the RoF post-1.13.

My thoughts on the situation should be obvious from the title: this was NOT a "nerf" as much as a reduction in how much the mod increases your rate of fire, and just because they reduced it does NOT necessarily mean it is less effective. If anything, the mod is now MORE effective as it has just the right balance of recoil, accuracy and rate of fire. Before, as much as it pains me to say it, the mod took at least SOME skill to aim effectively with, as the recoil was significantly higher and you had to pull down on your right analog stick to keep your crosshair on the target. Now, the recoil is much more manageable but the gun STILL kills faster than a normal M9.

What's the problem, you might ask? Sure, the RoF does exactly what it's supposed to, which is increase the effectiveness of the gun, but I recall that large thread from a few weeks ago asking for a complete removal from the game, NOT a "10% reduction" which arguably made the mod better. If this is all ND is going to do to appease the people who realize how silly this mod is, it's not going to be enough. I'm seeing even MORE people running around with it than before the patch. I'm sure part of it is the GMAL nerf, but they could have just as easily gone to something like Marlowe's or Flynn's M9 but chose not to because the RoF is so manageable now.

Basically, this thing needs to go, not get a tiny "nerf" in an effort to rebalance it. It has no place on a long gun most effective when aiming, ESPECIALLY when the AK, GMAL, etc. don't have the same offerings. I'm seriously baffled as to why it's even in the game; people complained about the RoF mod on the AK in the summer beta so much that it didn't make it into the final version, but THIS did? Come on, it's the same **bleep** concept.

I agree, it wasn't nerfed at all. It still kills very fast and I picked it up when I was out of ammo and the recoil was even more manageable than before.

Message 2 of 87 (969 Views)
Survivor
2231 posts

Aug 19, 2012

They didn't nerf the rof mod of the M9, They nerfed the M9 itself. So now when a rof M9 goes 1v1 with a normal M9 its still overpowered because they are both weaker.

Signature02.png

Message 3 of 87 (963 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2012

When I saw that ROF M9 was going to get nerfed in 1.14, I jumped out of my chair in excitement, something I haven't done for an Uncharted 3 patch note/live update since the FAL-SS got nerfed.

As it turned out, I don't think there's actually any difference in the mod now and the mod then. It feels the same to me. All I can really say is that the ROF M9 "nerf" was the biggest disappointment from ND I've felt in a while now.

Message 4 of 87 (952 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5842 posts

Aug 19, 2012

Hielke6991 wrote:

They didn't nerf the rof mod of the M9, They nerfed the M9 itself. So now when a rof M9 goes 1v1 with a normal M9 its still overpowered because they are both weaker.

So they nerfed the entire rate of fire for the M9 by 10%, not just the RoF attachment? Wow, I'm appalled. I have no issue with the entire gun getting a tiny nerf, but doing NOTHING to the attachment after all the great points brought up as to why it has no place in the game is seriously facepalm-inducing.

Message 5 of 87 (950 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
959 posts

Aug 19, 2012

Well said, pdiss.

I just don't understand the mindset of ND. Literally hundreds of forumers want RoF M9 removed because it's unbalanced, but in return ND "nerfs" its fire rate by 10%. If anything, they could have increased the recoil by 10%.

I don't get it.

TF3:HWS
Message 6 of 87 (948 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

Aug 19, 2012

Hielke6991 wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Message 7 of 87 (942 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5842 posts

Aug 19, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

Hielke6991 wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah, I haven't noticed a difference on the non-RoF M9 but I have on the RoF. Either way, the mod is still WAY too effective in the most annoying way possible (insta-kills around the wall).

Message 8 of 87 (934 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
959 posts

Aug 19, 2012

SouthpawLP wrote:

Hielke6991 wrote:

Are you sure about that?

I dunno about that. In the update log EvangM's got going on the forums, it says "

• Rate of Fire mod for M9 has been tuned to be slightly lower than previous value"

But in the 1.14 patch notes, it says "Rate of fire change to the M9"

So was the M9's fire rate nerfed or was the RoF M9's value decreased?

TF3:HWS
Message 9 of 87 (925 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

Aug 19, 2012

pdiss88 wrote:

SouthpawLP wrote:

Hielke6991 wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah, I haven't noticed a difference on the non-RoF M9 but I have on the RoF. Either way, the mod is still WAY too effective in the most annoying way possible (insta-kills around the wall).

I have not noticed any difference at all. :l

But, I will say this: ROF is grossly overpowered and is the final unbalance that rules every single mode barring Hardcore. ND needs to do a lot more to it than just nerf it. It needs to get nuked from orbit.

Message 10 of 87 (920 Views)