Mar 18 2013
By: gunnsandwiches42 Survivor 2021 posts

Speedy G: The Model Kickback

[ Edited ]
27 replies 557 views Edited Mar 18, 2013

I pretty much hate kickbacks in this game. Im a hater, I admit.  (skip down to just read about Speedy G)

Kickbacks, like many other things in UC3, were a promising idea followed by overall poor execution. We all know they disrupt balance and add to the already noob friendly aspect of this game. But lets face it: kickbacks are most likely here to stay for UC4. So because we are stuck with them, lets make them better. ND can model UC4's approach to Kickbacks on my favorite UC3 Kickback: Speedy G.

Unlike most other popular kickbacks, Speedy G does not grant you ridiculously easy kills or a stupidly unfair advantage in combat (hey, Quick Boom). Instead, it gives you a slight tactical advantage for a short amount of time. Its useful without being overpowered. And that is excactly what kickbacks should be all about.

The problem with Speedy G is that its just not useful enough to appeal to most players. At 7 medals, its just not that great compared to the slightly more expensive quick boom or mega bomb. So, ND should embrace the idea of defensive, tactical, and non-kill oriented kickbacks.

(About Speedy G)

To make Speedy G (and other similar non-kill kickbacks) a worthy kickback, ND should buff them and make them more useful, within reason. Time to ditch the spawning or Power Weapons, and the amazingly horrible quick boom.

What Speedy G does, in case you're wondering:

lets you run fast for a short period of time, a little faster than Sprint

increases Riot Shield speed, even stacking with Beast Mode

allows you to change direction on a dime with no loss of acceleration

allows you to move faster while aiming, at around Fleet Foot Gold speed (think it stacks with FF, too)

What it does NOT do:

lets you carry the idol faster

lets you climb faster

lets you reload faster

lets you swim faster

Speedy G should be buffed (really in UC3 and) for UC4 for the above. It SHOULD allow you to carry the Idol faster. It USED TO allow you to climb faster at Monkey Man Gold speeds in the Summer BETA. This is curious to me, and should have never been changed. Swimming should be faster, too.

But I want to go a step further, based on what I said earlier. Speedy G should increase Reload Speed. It should increase the speed of the Taunting animations. It should increase the speed of the Roll animation. The Stumbling animation should be disabled. Acceleration should not be stopped when running into a wall or cover. (It obviously should not increase the "bunny hopping" speed, though)

Such slight, logical buffs would enable Speedy G to become a staple Kickback in UC4, instead of relying on uncreative and unbalanced kickbacks like spawning a Power Weapon.

What do you guys think about Speedy G and the future of UC4's kickback? If you haven't already, try out speedy G, its great fun.

--
if you vote for Cave Plunder, may the gods have mercy on your soul
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (557 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: Speedy G: The Model Kickback

Mar 18, 2013
Great idea!! I definitely agree with kickbacks being non-kill. On mobile though, it's a little hard to see the white writing, but I could read it. Great thread. Great idea.
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (550 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2021 posts

Mar 18, 2013

SHUT_UP_FOOLS wrote:
Great idea!! I definitely agree with kickbacks being non-kill. On mobile though, it's a little hard to see the white writing, but I could read it. Great thread. Great idea.

fixed the formatting, sorry

--
if you vote for Cave Plunder, may the gods have mercy on your soul
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (541 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Mar 18, 2013
The problem with any game is that if you have any loadout or class based system, there will always be that 1 weapon or item that gets use the most. It gains a massive following and generally half the players will at least have it in one loadout or class (TF2 excepted :smileytongue:). You'd be surprised that I see a decent variety in U3 as opposed to other games. Still, certain kickbacks are over used. But its a lot better now than it used to be. There is quite a bit of balance showing in U3 today. I'm happy with it.

HOWEVER, defensive kickbacks should last way longer than offensive ones. Speedy G's medal count is perfect. It's time however needs to be adjusted. I use it with kickback endurance and it is about where I think it should be by default. Juggernaut needs a major time buff as well. it would suck (IMO) to just have a bunch of kickbacks that are for escaping battles. I would love defensive kickbacks to be more prominent and maybe even some designed for the sole purpose of stopping/reversing offensive kickbacks.

Btw, I typed this out in quick reply not thinking it would be this long. I apologize if it looks like garbage.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1713 posts

Mar 18, 2013

Yes! Death to Quick Boom and all other easy-kill kickbacks!

Long live Speedy G!

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (517 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5394 posts

Mar 18, 2013

juggernaut does not need a time buff :smileyindifferent: That isn't why its not used with its high kickback cost.

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (515 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
554 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I like the idea of the animations being faster, taunts, etc, but not really sure about reloading, I mean i don't really know how much time it takes to reload a weapon w/o the mod, and w/ the mod, but imagine have reloading speed mod on you gun, and have this new Speedy G, you never even feel the reloading :smileyvery-happy:

But about everything else, Good stuff! :smileywink:

I like cats :3

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (499 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Mar 18, 2013
No need for apologies.
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (493 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I like it. We need more ideas like this for better defensive kickbacks in U4. Still though, Speedy-G with these upgrades is going to be too weak compared with stronger defensive kickbacks; it could use a cost reduction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Naughty Dog,
__I have sat idly by for too long. You will NOT stand in the way of destiny! I will be in Co-Op Arena!
_____________________________________________Lots of love,
_________________________________________________Lazarevic
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (432 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9832 posts

Mar 18, 2013
I'll use defensive kickbacks more if they buffed it.

Although Speedy G is great, Smoke Bomb is my dealio. Too bad Smoke bomb is acting weird, with all the lag and the teleporting to your spawn point even if enemies are there.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (411 Views)
0 Likes