Apr 05 2013
By: Black_MiD Sackboy 541 posts

The Official AK-47 Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]
41 replies 530 views Edited Apr 11, 2013

Reading the awesome discussion on munnsy1's "Official FAL-SS Discussion Thread" inspired me to create a similar thread for one of my favourite weapons in Uncharted 3: the AK-47.

BASIC INFO

The AK is an automatic rifle. It kills in 7 body shots and 5 headshots. It's a very versatile weapon, and it performs well at all ranges, although it shines in close to medium-range combat. It has the one of the best/strongest stopping powers in this game (rivalled only by the RoF M9), which helps you combat blindfire-rushers. Although it kills you in fewer bullets than the M9, its rate of fire is inferior.

VARIANTS

Eddy's AK—This variant has 3 mods: Clip Size, Scope Zoom and Call Out. It is, in my opinion, the best character variant. Especially good for objective game types (Plunder and Team Objective).

Drake's AK—This variant has 2 mods: Blindfire Accuracy and Reload Speed. A good weapon for small maps like Chateau and Desert Village. The BA mod makes its blindfire as good as the M9's (without the BA mod). The Reload Speed can be extremely helpful in intense gunfights or if you encounter numerous enemies at once.
If you combine this gun with Drake's Para 9 and the original (French sweater) Nathan Drake skin, you will get Explosive Buddy.

Navarro's AK— This gun has the Reload Speed and Max Ammo mods. Overall, I think it's the least useful AK, as the default ammo for the AK (150 bullets) is already plentiful. See Drake's AK for a brief description of the Reload Speed mod.

AK w/ Accuracy mod— One of the most popular AKs. For many players (including myself), the Accuracy mod is the most useful mod for the AK, as it reduces recoil and facilitates long-range combat. If you have Weapon Expert Gold, I definitely recommend combining this mod with Clip Size: it'll turn your AK into an unstoppable killing machine.

Jade AK— Rarely seen in competitive matches nowadays. Its BA mod is helpful, but the Max Ammo mod is quite useless.

Concerning the Reload Speed/Clip Size variants:
The Clip Size mod increases the AK's Clip Size from 30 to 45. This change can be seen as redundant due to the Reload Speed time being so low, it will only help in niche situations.

BOOSTERS

To my experience, the AK will work well with most boosters. Here are some suggestions:

Fleet Foot— A solid choice for aggressive players.

Weapon Expert— One of the best boosters in this game. Level 3 WE allows you to use the special Accuracy + Clip Size AK that I described in the "variants" section.

Cloaked— The best choice for stealthy, ninja-like players.

That's all I can think of, for now. Let's hope we can get a nice discussion going on Smiley Happy Let me know of anything that you consider important, and I'll add it to the OP. 

Thank you, munnsy1, for your kind help Smiley Happy

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 1 of 42 (530 Views)
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Re: The Official AK Discussion Thread

Apr 5, 2013

Reload Speed/Clip Size Variants: See Drake's AK for a brief description of the Reload Speed mod. The Clip Size mod increases the AK's Clip Size from 30 to 45, this change can be seen as redundant due to the Reload Speed time being so low, it will only help in niche situations.

Looks good man, I wrote that incase you wanted it but wasn't sure what to call it as there are lots of identical modded variants. If you want to use that it's fine with me, and if you want anything else writing just let me know!

Message 2 of 42 (519 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
6978 posts

Apr 5, 2013

I personally use a WE AK with Accuracy and scope-zoom. Helps me make it an "almost" long range gun. And I can honestly say it is my favorite weapon to use in normal circumstances when playing Uncharted. I never see a point in using clip size or reload speed with it since thanks to the WE quick-switch, if I'm low on ammo I can switch to my pistol in no time and finish the job. Then reload both guns after the battle.

I agree that the only character AKs worth using are between Eddy's and Drake's since max ammo on the Ak is basically pointless.

Forgot to mention that SP stat hats work pretty well with the AK as well.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 3 of 42 (518 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Apr 5, 2013

I believe the Clip Size increase is from 30 to 45, but don't 'quote' me on it. ;-)

Message 4 of 42 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Apr 5, 2013

BASIC INFO

The AK is an automatic rifle. It kills in 7 body shots and 5 headshots. It's a very versatile weapon, and it performs well at all ranges, although it shines in close to medium-range combat. It has the best/strongest stopping power in this game, which helps you combat blindfire-rushers. Although it kills you in fewer bullets than the M9, its rate of fire is inferior.

I believe the M9 RoF has higher stopping power.

Message 5 of 42 (514 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Also one last hole to pick, change the title to 'The Official AK-47 Discussion Thread' it looks more official. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 42 (511 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Yet another official thread, oh well... the downside of the AK is its rate of fire, but i'm not here asking for ND to bring that back, no gun should have a RoF mod, anyway, Drake's AK is probably the best variant because the blindfire accurancy works very well with the AK. But i prefer to use the ND AK because well... Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 42 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20309 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

Here are my thoughts; I'll be going with my preferred loadout, as I did in the FAL thread.

Personally, I see Drake's AK as the best AK available. The Blindfire Accuracy mod definitely helps with the AK's sub-par blindfire accuracy and makes it a viable choice in CQC, although there are better choice: the mod just helps if you need to get in close or are already in close range. The Reload Speed mod is simply amazing, since you're able to continue churning out bullets out in combat while your opponent will need to reload. Just personal preference over the Clip Size, since I feel that the longer I shoot the AK, I get less and less accurate with. Reloading gives me a split second to recuperate my aim and keep fire down on my opponents.

As for boosters, I tend to use Fleet Foot and Team Safe pretty much all the time on my AK loadout. Fleet Foot helps me survive mid-range head-to-head encounters with enemies and Team Safe is just awesome, letting me never get knocked down by explosives or accidentally kill my team mates.

For the kickback, I seem to use Disruption for some reason. This helps more in Plunder or Team Objective, but it may help sometimes in Deathmatch. It may confuse/disorient my opponents for a quick moment and can even give me a short-range PING!, since it allows you to see the names of the affected players from a longer range and even through walls. This works unbelievably well on Desert Village during the sandstorm by blinding your opponents AND giving you an absurdly large amount of distance to see an enemy's name.

In essence, you should treat it like an M9, but you'll need to adjust to the randomness of the AK's recoil. Once you get used to the recoil on the weapon and understand that you can't shoot everyone at a long range, you'll love the AK-47. Heck, I don't even have an M9 loadout anymore thanks to this gun. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 42 (492 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3802 posts

Apr 5, 2013

All I want to say is...

AK FTW! :]

Message 9 of 42 (466 Views)
Sackboy
541 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

Alluboy_ wrote:

All I want to say is...

AK FTW! :]

I wholeheartedly agree! Smiley Very Happy

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 10 of 42 (458 Views)
0 Likes