Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 19 2011
By: PeteX19 Uncharted Territory 1820 posts

The community needs a stronger voice this time round.

18 replies 21 views Edited Apr 19, 2011

What frustrated me the most in Uncharted 2 was when a well backed up complaint by a user about an aspect of the game that a lot of players agreed with, could easily be bypassed by ND with one simple excuse.

"You don't speak for the community"

I read a few comments gravitating to creating a stronger voice for the community in the UC2 forum but that sounded like they wanted to start some kind of union which I couldn't see working in the long run.

What I suggest is something very simple and that is a chance to vote on what goes on in UC3. Now I don't want ND to have to get our permission everytime they want to change something as it's their game. What I want is feedback polls which you can either vote ingame or on the forums and they would be synced so you could only vote once. This would stop the annoying excuse that ND uses that not every Uncharted player uses the forums so your complaint is subjective.

Now we have had polls on the forums before so I don't see that as much of a task for Naughty Dog but what might be a problem is how to implement them ingame. Polls should not impact the experience of the game and shouldn't pop up in your face as that is just annoying. What does happen in multiplayer games is there is always a point where you're sitting there waiting for something to happen such as a match or players to join. i read there was some cinema feature that would run while you chose your layout so why not have another box with a poll in it. It's not obtrusive and it's up to the player if they vote or not on the subject of discussion.

A bonus to having the poll ingame is Naughty Dog can choose when to issue the poll to the player. Say a game type was changed and the poll would only come up after the player has played a certain number of matches of the new game type. It would give the poll more validity instead of getting the opinion of someone who has only played one match of the new game type. Also since the poll is ingame ND could give a small cash reward to the player for taking the time to vote.

If more players were given an easier way to give feedback it would give a better indication on what the community as a whole thought on a given subject. It would give ND and the community something to point to when they need to backup their argument and remove the speculation that plagued the UC2 forum.

I'm interested what you think of my idea and any further ideas you have on the subject matter.

Hopefully this thread wont get locked but I'm used to it by now :smileyhappy:

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - PeteX19
Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3531 posts

I never thought of that. Good idea, I guess.

Apr 19, 2011

I never thought of that. Good idea, I guess.

Do you feel me?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
750 posts

The community has plenty of voice.  But this isn't a demo...

Apr 19, 2011

The community has plenty of voice.  But this isn't a democracy, excepting in the $ you vote with.

Don't like the way things are?   Don't buy the game.  Sure, you can make the "I bought it I want it to be better" argument, but it's like trying to change your boyfriend, 'so he can be better.'   It ain't yours to mess with.  You bought a stake in it.  That's all.   Be glad the system allows change.  Oh, I remember when we all wanted Atari to change ET for the 2600, into a super game... they buried it in the desert, instead.  Literally.

ND has demonstrated a pretty strong propensity to do what they want, and claim customer desire.  They've also claimed "that's the way things are in these games" to defend some points, and "this is unique and unprecedented" to defend others.

It's their game, and they're making some proportion of decisions based solely on money, at some point.  Some may well be creative decisions, some may be personal "wow" factors.

The voices stated on this private forum are loud, and they don't have to let any criticism stand, but they do.   Frankly, if this was my game?  I'd have mods delete anything critical.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

In theory the only thing ND messed up on was 1.05 when th...

Apr 19, 2011

In theory the only thing ND messed up on was 1.05 when they changed the health. Which I'm sure over a year they have learned their lession on that one little aspect. Nobody complained about SA because nobody used it because you still had the life to get out of gun fire. Then the update and the lag with the change of matchmaking and everybody started using SA because they didn't want to die.

Simple as that, only issue with this game was the health drop. Which if that never happened SA wouldn't have been a huge deal, and then glitching wouldn't have been a big deal which I think ND learned from that mistake.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - HoorawrFatChicks
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Can't tell if srs...

Apr 19, 2011

Can't tell if srs...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
750 posts

People started using SA more because they discovered its...

Apr 19, 2011

People started using SA more because they discovered its advantages.

People bunny hop far, far more then they did a year ago, because they've discovered its advantages.

Both would be getting more play even if health was doubled, because the advantages do not go away.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

People would have never needed the advantages if it wasn'...

Apr 19, 2011

Treasure_Bearer wrote:

People started using SA more because they discovered its advantages.

People bunny hop far, far more then they did a year ago, because they've discovered its advantages.

Both would be getting more play even if health was doubled, because the advantages do not go away.

People would have never needed the advantages if it wasn't so easy to die. Someone camping with SA they get the jump on someone in 1.04 even if they surpised you, you still had time to take a few bullets before you got behind cover and escaped, so the booster was useless for that fact unless you camped with a shotty or was a steel fisting pro.

Bunny hoping is the same way, die fast so you use what tactic's you can muster to stay alive.  And you wouldn't be so hard up to stay alive if you didn't die so fast and acually had time to escape.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

I wish it were possible to get tripleWRECK's opinion on t...

Apr 19, 2011

I wish it were possible to get tripleWRECK's opinion on the MP reveal. I disagreed with him on things but he was a great voice in the Uncharted Community.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

One person can't voice thousands of oppion's. That is how...

Apr 19, 2011

starkraven wrote:

I wish it were possible to get tripleWRECK's opinion on the MP reveal. I disagreed with him on things but he was a great voice in the Uncharted Community.

One person can't voice thousands of oppion's. That is how agruement's and flaming starts. And plus he got perma ban from what I understood ND didn't like that he was the "voice" so they got rid of him. Which is completely wrong. So he had to have done something to get perma banned.

Which all good voice's know when to control themselfs before step's like that are took. So he wasn't really a good voice if you really step back and look at it. But thats my personal oppion.

And to boot nothing he ever said happened or helped it happen also. So he was just a guy that put valid points in a post and everybody jumped on the bandwagon. When all he did was repeat himself thread after thread like ND was blind.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

So he posted valid points and people agreed with him or s...

Apr 19, 2011

HoorawrFatChicks wrote:

starkraven wrote:

One person can't voice thousands of oppion's. That is how agruement's and flaming starts. And plus he got perma ban from what I understood ND didn't like that he was the "voice" so they got rid of him. Which is completely wrong. So he had to have done something to get perma banned.

Which all good voice's know when to control themselfs before step's like that are took. So he wasn't really a good voice if you really step back and look at it. But thats my personal oppion.

And to boot nothing he ever said happened or helped it happen also. So he was just a guy that put valid points in a post and everybody jumped on the bandwagon. When all he did was repeat himself thread after thread like ND was blind.

So he posted valid points and people agreed with him or supported what he had to say. Yup that sounds like a fail to me too. Like I said previously I didn't agree with everything he said but I did respect that he was very vocal and from what I remember he did his thing without flaming or trolling.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (21 Views)
0 Likes