Fender Bender
4145 posts

Re: The how many games did ND rip off game!

Dec 6, 2012
  • Whatever game first had guns
  • " 3rd person perspective
  • " L1 and R1 aiming/shooting controls on PS3
  • Space Panic for platforming

Most positive changes in the video game industry are adopted by other developers because of how they improve the game. Imagine if every single game had completely different controls for mechanics such as shooting...completely asinine to not use something because it works so well. With that being said, blatant plagiarism is simply unnaceptable, but trifle things such as what I and the OP mentioned do not fall under that category.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 11 of 39 (500 Views)
Splicer
84 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Call of Duty: Boosters

Message 12 of 39 (483 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10174 posts

Dec 6, 2012

The CoD menu? Because it has a sub-menu? We're not allowed to have those anymore because CoD uses it?

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 13 of 39 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1892 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Everything comes from somewhere it's not "ripping off" it's just how life works. Everything you are currently using got ripped off something else. 

Message 14 of 39 (471 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2290 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

I see this was an attempt to sarcastically rant at ND, but come on. ALL games have some form of "rip off" from one to the next. There is no such thing as complete originality when it comes to video games or movies.

Each and every product in the creative media field is inspired by another product. Without a precedent to a game or something that came before it to show the new product "how it's done," the game might produce something that wouldn't go over so well with fans.

Think about it, what if Naughty Dog simply stuck to it's basic foundations of UC1 when it came out and never updated its game at all for UC2 and UC3. Now, some may say that that would be the best decision ever, others, most, would disagree. The game, although, was pretty great, it lacked a lot in terms of gameplay and manueverbility. UC2 perfected each and every graphical aspect and made the game "playable" for all. How did it do this? It took ideas from other games, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Halo, and Tomb Raider. Added all of the puzzle elements, gun play, and various other things that were from other games. Without these elements, the game would fall short, why? Because people loved these specific aspects in other games, so why not mash them all up in one nice, fancy package.

In UC3, Call of Duty aspects were prevalent in the game, but it was done "ND style." The "killstreak" sort of thing was done superbly in terms of ND's "hash" of it. The Sprinting aspect (this is prevalent in ALL games now a days, not sure why it's such a big problem) is a great add, really adds to the fast-paced gameplay. The customization of our characters comes directly from the "Create, Share, Play" gametype put in place by the LittleBigPlanet series. As well as the customization of our weapons and "classes" comes directly from MANY games, including Call of Duty.

Now, all of these elements are mashed up into one GREAT game, which is Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. The game contains ALL of these aspects to make a great game. They're in here because, like I've said earlier, each one makes a game great, so having all of them in one game with a game company's own spinoff, makes for even better. Why it may not go over with a few fans, it will with others, like myself. I'd rather play a game with all of my favorite elements from a bunch of different games rather than play one game with one great elements I love about it. Wouldn't you?

Anyways, that's my two cents, I hope this doesn't offend anyone, thanks.

Message 15 of 39 (469 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

Dec 6, 2012

It's only a rip-off if it's something that is borrowed from another game and implimented in the same way but doesn't work in the game it has now been put it. If you borrow a concept from another game and make it your own then it's all good.

You'll notice that whenever people say that something has been ripped off, they either are big fans of the game that supposedly got ripped off, or don't like how it works in the game it was put into. No one ever says that U3 ripped off RE4 third person camera mechanics but it did that just as much as anything else.

Also, the kickback system is more a copy of the Berserk system from Resistance 2, although I like R2's implimentation better as the only weapons it gives are at the super strong RPG or Pulse Cannon depending on whether you're human or chimera and it takes the most XP to get up, which is how it's system works. That's another reason why it's better though, because it's XP and not ribbons (which are essentially medals) you don't need to worry about getting specific tasks completed or benchmarks in a match. Just do stuff to like capture points, do damage, and get kills and assists and you get your Berserk.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 16 of 39 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4263 posts

Dec 6, 2012

This is a rip-off or a clone. :smileyindifferent:

Rusty. Rusty everywhere.
Message 17 of 39 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11233 posts

Dec 6, 2012

runner21 wrote:
2) The CoD menu? Why is that important? They both use a sub-section design.

Because there is absolutely no **bleep** reason to have a co-op option there, both options lead to the same place, what's the point? Seriously, what is the point.

Message 18 of 39 (421 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

Dec 6, 2012

renatabls wrote:

runner21 wrote:
2) The CoD menu? Why is that important? They both use a sub-section design.

Because there is absolutely no **bleep** reason to have a co-op option there, both options lead to the same place, what's the point? Seriously, what is the point.

A menu design choice that was later abandoned as both modes are accessed in the same place online, but the actual format was not changed because the game was rushed to completion.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 19 of 39 (416 Views)
Wastelander
555 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Pokemon, because you know the grenades look like pokeballs.

I like cats :3

Message 20 of 39 (409 Views)
0 Likes