Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 29 2013
By: Pearl_Blue_Soul Hekseville Citizen 330 posts

Thoughts about THE LAB so far

5 replies 474 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

Hello community, hello Naughty Dog!

Long time ago I said I was about to quit Uncharted 3, but the fact is I'm still playing it. Sometimes I get mad because of Party splits and other technical issues/glitches and give it a break, but I always return... so let's talk about Lab.

Even if I'm providing "personal" arguments and motivations, I came on the Forums after speaking with several friends and Uc3 players. Surprisingly, we had similar opinions about the various Lab playlists. I don't know if people will agree even here on the Forums and it could be interesting to find this out.

I'll start from the fact that, unlike many other shooters, Uncharted has a strong "humor" component either in Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Everytime we play, we inevitably see funny and crazy things: Skeletons running around with guns, people killing eachother to bring a horrible gold idol into a chest, taunting and saying funny things, etc etc... but most of the time we are used to all this.
In my point of view, The Lab should incarnate everything it's fun and everything it's crazy in this game and fully realize the "hyronic" spirit of this awesome game, because that's what makes it unique.

Well, not all of them, but some of the Lab Playlists DID this.

Some Labs were so epic and fully charged with "fun&crazy" elements that I couldn't even play anything else. And THIS is what I want (what about you?) from The Lab: FUN.

In particular, I think that the basic game mode helps quite much to get into that spirit. Objective based games obviously offer much more chances to make it fun. Team Deathmatch is much more "serious". No matter if you give them Power weapons or kickback grenades, people STILL camp. And you probably won't laugh when a Cluster bomb wipes out your full team.

Block Mesh Maps are an exception because they DO look crazy and original and even playing a normal Team Deathmatch becomes uncommon (even if I can't play more than 1 or 2 games because they make my eyes bleed!)

Also, taking out stats from the Lab helps very very much as well (fortunately this currently IS). That keeps stats *bleeps* out of the game and let you enjoy the darn game and have a laugh on it. It's a game, isn't it supposed to be fun? Even Team Objective and Plunder are infested by Clans and Parties because people don't want free losses. I think games like Uc3 need a sort of "Sandbox" mode where you can just play and have fun. And here comes The Lab!

So, which ones are, in my opinion, the best Labs ever? Which ones really incarnated the comic-side of Uncharted?

I'm not going in a specific order, but the first one I'll call out is, of course, the Dodgeball Lab. I have to say I DON'T actually enjoy it very much (nothing wrong with it, it's just me. I get bored very soon), but I want to be ABSOLUTELY impartial since, like I said, I'm not just speaking for myself but for several players and I know for sure a lot of people loves it. Also, this EXACTLY get into the crazy spirit I was talking about. Two groups of people throwing nades over a wall in a surreal map and multi-massive explosions. Should I say something more? It's great!

A special prize goes to the KAL7/Carpet Bomb Team Objective. Naughty Dog, you turned a hated, cursed item into an entertainment tool. Anyone who said that it takes no skill to survive a massive KAL7 demolition was soooo wrong haha. It just gave a totally different way to play, avoiding and countering blindfire and USING YOUR BRAIN. Plus, we had an extraordinary weapon to counter KAL: Multiple free Carpet Bombs! I saw people AIMING the crazy gun and using the Raffica pistol. Raffica matched perfectly because it gave the opportunity of a mid/long range kill, but due to its weakness, a VERY suffered and difficult one. Of course, the secret ingredient was Team Objective: would you want to play a KAL7 TDM? I WOULDN'T.

A 100% succeeded Lab IMO and it definitely looked crazy. Oh my God if it did!

Last, but not least (actually my favorite one), Pistole Plunder! The lack of long range weapons brought all the action around the idol and that was the winning idea. And if you add a rain of grenades... you can't go wrong! Most epic and funny crap I've ever played in my whole life. Not only about Uncharted 3, just the most fun thing I've ever seen in a Multiplayer.

I won't say "enough with Power weapons TDM" (I would say it, actually), but that THIS kind of Lab playlists should be prioritized. No one (and I can say NO one) of my friends says "Yay, another 5v5 Power weapon TDM!". And not only we had "everysinglekindofweapon" based tdm (RPG, Hammer, T-Bolt, MAG, SAS, Riot shield, etc etc) but they come over and over again!

I'm still waiting for a return of T-Bolt plunder, or KAL7 team objective (Pistole plunder is still very fresh so I won't complain), or wondering if they will ever come back... those were absolutely original Labs!

I really wish for more Objective based Labs and for the old ones to return... just give Power weapons TDM a break.. please? They are all the same...

Well, I think that's all... I apologize, there might be a lot of errors due to the fact my English isn't really perfect and I wrote a lot of thing, so chances are increased...

Thank you for reading! :smileyvery-happy:

2602 posts

Re: Thoughts about THE LAB so far

Mar 29, 2013

I hate the lab! :smileyhappy:

ND never gave us our requested banana lab! :smileymad:

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Garfreakeld.png

I luv kitty cats cuz they're very furry n cute. meow!
Message 2 of 6 (461 Views)
Splicer
61 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

It's alright but can get annoying really quick.

Message 3 of 6 (459 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10105 posts

Apr 1, 2013
Did you just call my Raff weak? DID YOU?
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 4 of 6 (448 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Jul 28, 2013

NO! T-BOLT LAB ONLY!!!!!

Message 5 of 6 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Pearl_Blue_Soul wrote:

Hello community, hello Naughty Dog!

Long time ago I said I was about to quit Uncharted 3, but the fact is I'm still playing it. Sometimes I get mad because of Party splits and other technical issues/glitches and give it a break, but I always return... so let's talk about Lab.

Even if I'm providing "personal" arguments and motivations, I came on the Forums after speaking with several friends and Uc3 players. Surprisingly, we had similar opinions about the various Lab playlists. I don't know if people will agree even here on the Forums and it could be interesting to find this out.

I'll start from the fact that, unlike many other shooters, Uncharted has a strong "humor" component either in Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Everytime we play, we inevitably see funny and crazy things: Skeletons running around with guns, people killing eachother to bring a horrible gold idol into a chest, taunting and saying funny things, etc etc... but most of the time we are used to all this.
In my point of view, The Lab should incarnate everything it's fun and everything it's crazy in this game and fully realize the "hyronic" spirit of this awesome game, because that's what makes it unique.

Well, not all of them, but some of the Lab Playlists DID this.

Some Labs were so epic and fully charged with "fun&crazy" elements that I couldn't even play anything else. And THIS is what I want (what about you?) from The Lab: FUN.

In particular, I think that the basic game mode helps quite much to get into that spirit. Objective based games obviously offer much more chances to make it fun. Team Deathmatch is much more "serious". No matter if you give them Power weapons or kickback grenades, people STILL camp. And you probably won't laugh when a Cluster bomb wipes out your full team.

Block Mesh Maps are an exception because they DO look crazy and original and even playing a normal Team Deathmatch becomes uncommon (even if I can't play more than 1 or 2 games because they make my eyes bleed!)

Also, taking out stats from the Lab helps very very much as well (fortunately this currently IS). That keeps stats *bleeps* out of the game and let you enjoy the darn game and have a laugh on it. It's a game, isn't it supposed to be fun? Even Team Objective and Plunder are infested by Clans and Parties because people don't want free losses. I think games like Uc3 need a sort of "Sandbox" mode where you can just play and have fun. And here comes The Lab!

So, which ones are, in my opinion, the best Labs ever? Which ones really incarnated the comic-side of Uncharted?

I'm not going in a specific order, but the first one I'll call out is, of course, the Dodgeball Lab. I have to say I DON'T actually enjoy it very much (nothing wrong with it, it's just me. I get bored very soon), but I want to be ABSOLUTELY impartial since, like I said, I'm not just speaking for myself but for several players and I know for sure a lot of people loves it. Also, this EXACTLY get into the crazy spirit I was talking about. Two groups of people throwing nades over a wall in a surreal map and multi-massive explosions. Should I say something more? It's great!

A special prize goes to the KAL7/Carpet Bomb Team Objective. Naughty Dog, you turned a hated, cursed item into an entertainment tool. Anyone who said that it takes no skill to survive a massive KAL7 demolition was soooo wrong haha. It just gave a totally different way to play, avoiding and countering blindfire and USING YOUR BRAIN. Plus, we had an extraordinary weapon to counter KAL: Multiple free Carpet Bombs! I saw people AIMING the crazy gun and using the Raffica pistol. Raffica matched perfectly because it gave the opportunity of a mid/long range kill, but due to its weakness, a VERY suffered and difficult one. Of course, the secret ingredient was Team Objective: would you want to play a KAL7 TDM? I WOULDN'T.

A 100% succeeded Lab IMO and it definitely looked crazy. Oh my God if it did!

Last, but not least (actually my favorite one), Pistole Plunder! The lack of long range weapons brought all the action around the idol and that was the winning idea. And if you add a rain of grenades... you can't go wrong! Most epic and funny crap I've ever played in my whole life. Not only about Uncharted 3, just the most fun thing I've ever seen in a Multiplayer.

I won't say "enough with Power weapons TDM" (I would say it, actually), but that THIS kind of Lab playlists should be prioritized. No one (and I can say NO one) of my friends says "Yay, another 5v5 Power weapon TDM!". And not only we had "everysinglekindofweapon" based tdm (RPG, Hammer, T-Bolt, MAG, SAS, Riot shield, etc etc) but they come over and over again!

I'm still waiting for a return of T-Bolt plunder, or KAL7 team objective (Pistole plunder is still very fresh so I won't complain), or wondering if they will ever come back... those were absolutely original Labs!

I really wish for more Objective based Labs and for the old ones to return... just give Power weapons TDM a break.. please? They are all the same...

Well, I think that's all... I apologize, there might be a lot of errors due to the fact my English isn't really perfect and I wrote a lot of thing, so chances are increased...

Thank you for reading! :smileyvery-happy:

Oh sweetie, the buses don't go where you live do they...?

Dodgeball doesn't even belong in Uncharted. Uncharted is a third-person shooter and throwing grenades around is not shooting. It's a useless attempt to get the laggy Mexicans and KSA players more free kills due to their laggy grenades which freeze in mid-air and then three minutes later they explode killing everyone on the other side when they're on the other side of the field.

I'll admit that I enjoy the Block Mesh Maps as long as you don't camp for the entire match (#LabMap6). I honestly find Team Objective boring most times. The simplicity of it is frustrating, the Marked Man glitch where you die by someone's grenade over and over again until you aren't the Marked Man.

The only power weapon that I don't hate is the T-Bolt. That requires some kind of skill. But I'd like to see a Lab in the future with Dragon snipers and Raffica pistols. The two most underrated guns (excluding the FAL) in the entire game. People will be forced to use them, be forced to learn them and they will then get better.

While I admit that Uncharted is more humorous than most games, there's an extent to where it becomes just down-right stupid. Like Dodgeball and some of the customisation items...

Bang Bang!

Message 6 of 6 (298 Views)
0 Likes