Wastelander
679 posts

Re: Treasure Hunting

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2013

@NFS…

I too am of the opinion that the treasure drops are not equal but I also don’t think that ND would deliberately lie about it…I accept that they truly believe the drop rates should be equal (or intended it that way).

I just hope that if we’re lucky enough to get another Uncharted game and they have a similar treasure system that they re-examine the code/system.

Without knowing exactly how the treasure system works (and I don’t ever expect that ND would divulge all the details to us), I can only speculate what’s going on.

MacGruber310 mentioned that he had examined the script and confirmed that the drop rates are equal.  Let’s say the logic of the code is sound but what if there is something peculiar about how it gets executed?

I work in software testing.  I’m not sure if ND is able to collect data on the treasure drops - I get the impression that although the drop rate might be controlled at the server level, what treasure actually drops might be controlled locally OR simply that it’s data they (ND) just don’t collect or track.  In any event, if I were looking into it, I would simulate some fixed number of “treasure drops”.  100,000 is a nice number (provided it didn’t take too long to run) using the actual game code and then examine the distribution of treasures.  My theory is that the treasure sets represented would be roughly evenly represented but the treasures within those sets would not.  Anecdotally, it seems as though that’s what most of the community is seeing.  It might be mere coincidence but it certainly seems to me that the treasures that my friends and I were/are missing were almost always the last one in any given set.

What if the treasure drop is determined in a two-step process?  First, the treasure set is randomly selected and then the treasure within that set is determined.  Are both selection criteria determined using the same mechanism/logic?

OR if the treasure is selected randomly (random number from 1-70) how is the treasure list structured?  One long list or some kind of hierarchical structure?

I’d also be curious if the treasure drop system for competitive treasures is the same code or logically identical.  I play A LOT less competitive and yet I’m missing only one comp treasure (just as I’m still missing one last coop treasure).  I’m not sure of the total number of coop versus competitive treasures but I conservatively estimate that I play about 90% of my matches in coop.

The logic of the code may be sound but maybe there’s something peculiar about how random numbers are generated - for ranges below a certain number, the tendency is for the upper limit of the random range to come up is lower?

In the end, I just don’t know. :smileysad:

Message 11 of 62 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10183 posts

Oct 8, 2013
Maybe they all have the same drop rate.

It SOUNDS like it's good, but not really: let's say you just started, and there are a total of 50 treasures. The chance of you getting something you do not have is 50/50 or 100%. The more treasures you get, the lower the percentage is. Meaning, if you have 45 out of 50 treasures, you have a 5/50 chance, which is 10%.

It might seem like a big deal, but consider also the fact that treasure drops rarely happen to begin with. That's two percentages to go through.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 12 of 62 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 8, 2013

Under a truly random system, I can accept that I might never get the last treasure I need (although I wouldn’t be happy about it).  I also understand that as you get more treasures, the remaining ones will “appear” more rare (again, even under a truly random system) but…

I just don’t believe under the current system that the drops truly are random.  The drop rate matters little to me since I’m focusing on what treasures are actually dropping not how often they drop.

Message 13 of 62 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
395 posts

Oct 8, 2013

TheRapidy wrote:

• Tranquil Sea, Tibetan Coral Saddle Ring (Silver)

Play Arena for it, it has the best odds of dropping the first treasure in most sets.  For absolute best odds, play on Easy.  That's all the help I can give you though, as the rest are rares and you're already playing Hunter.

I can explain the AHSS treasure system (Arena, Hunter, Shade Survival) for the rest of you (I've done this before, but no one listened):

Yes, there is an equal chance of each treasure set dropping; it's the individual contents that are skewed.  The layout is like this for all but four sets in Arena and Shade Survival:

First treasure - Common

Middle treasures - Relatively common

Last treasure - Very low (marked rare, cannot be obtained on Easy difficulty)

In Hunter, and for four particular sets regardless of mode (Lost Pendants and Silver/Gold/Ivory Incan), the odds more or less resemble this:

First treasure - Somewhat common

Middle treasures - Unusual

Last treasure - Common (still marked rare)

LP and the Incan sets can be finished on Easy since they always use Hunter odds.  It's unclear to me why they're different, or even which sets are working correctly (it's hard for me to believe ND made the Collector and Hoarder trophies with the Arena/SS drop format in mind).

Message 14 of 62 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 9, 2013

@ZED...

Thanks.  I wish I could find MacGruber's post in which I recall him saying that the the drop rates are equal.  Maybe he did refer to treasure sets as opposed to the individual treasures.

Message 15 of 62 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Found it:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Mmkay-Support-for-one-more-patc...

He doesn't refer specifically to sets that I can see. :smileysad:  He does mention that the list is very long....I wonder if that means the treasures for all modes are in one list.

Message 16 of 62 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 9, 2013

@TheRapidly...

I now have data on nearly 150 drops.  Only one of the treasures you need is represented in my data...Tibetan Coral Saddle Ring has dropped for me twice in Museum (I was most likely playing on Crushing but I'm not tracking difficulty data).

I don't subscribe to the theory that certain arena treasures drop on certain maps but I have this info so I thought I'd pass it along.  Still, if you end up getting it in Museum, I'd very much like to know.

Best of luck. :smileyhappy:

Message 17 of 62 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I just checked...of the treasures that TheRapidly was missing at thread creation, only one was not the last in a given treasure set and guess which one?  Tibetan Coral Saddle Ring!

Message 18 of 62 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

CaptainProduce67 wrote:

@TheRapidly...

I now have data on nearly 150 drops.  Only one of the treasures you need is represented in my data...Tibetan Coral Saddle Ring has dropped for me twice in Museum (I was most likely playing on Crushing but I'm not tracking difficulty data).

I don't subscribe to the theory that certain arena treasures drop on certain maps but I have this info so I thought I'd pass it along.  Still, if you end up getting it in Museum, I'd very much like to know.

Best of luck. :smileyhappy:

Thanks, and I really think the treasures drop more likely in specific maps.

Message 19 of 62 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I would love that to be the case!  Bronze Nepalese Lion...here I come! :smileyhappy:

Message 20 of 62 (305 Views)
0 Likes