Apr 02 2012
By: Toxic156 Fender Bender 4145 posts

Treasure System- What Is, Was, and Could Have Been

15 replies 109 views Edited Apr 2, 2012

This is going to be a long post about Uncharted 3's treasure system, so you may want to consider getting some popcorn first. Remember that these are my opinions, not necessarily the entire community's.

What Is:

*Starting with the basics* The current model in UC3 is a system which allows a player to unlock weapons with dual mods and also character customization pieces. While it sounds positive in theory, in execution it falters a little bit.

Bugs:

1. Aside from the Doughnut Drake bug, there are still quite a few errors. Although I have no video, in Hunter mode blank treasure drops are all too frequent.

2. Unobtainable treasures- (Sadly) I have 2 videos which show areas in which if a treasure falls, it will be inacessable. While I don't have clips of the failures on Highrise or City of Brass, treasures can easily fall off those maps.

2. Dividing up the treasures into different modes- Again, this is another seemingly solid idea: make players experience difference game modes from an enticing promise of a particular weapon, and they may fall in love with the mode(s). And for a while, this may be true. After a while, with only 1 treasure missing from a set, playing said mode can become akin to a grinding session: long, tedious and rarely rewarding.

If someone loathes the mode from the start but still wants a weapon, they're also forced to play something that contrasts with their taste.

While co-op can be a fun way to not deal with Bargain stacking parties of 5, the amount of repeats to treasure sets in these modes is staggering. The drop rate should at least correspond with difficulty (higher= higher amount of drops).

The division also is a double-edged sword- after collecting all the treasures in a mode, there's little reason to replay it (sans personal enjoyment). People are expected to abandon the playlist they've come to enjoy if they wish to unlock any other weapons.

3. Treasure Rarity- Perhaps what's most puzzling is how some treasurses are rather easily obtained and others drop once every millenium. If 2 treasures for a set of 3 can be unlocked within the first game or so of playing a mode, then why does the rarity suddenly skyrocket with the last piece? I'd much rather have a significantly lowered drop rate with a higher chance of new treasures.

4. Hardcore Treasues- speak for themselves. At least, Just Cash is yelling over the rest of them...

What Was:

In the original July beta, the vast array of treasures (customization pieces only) were mostly unlocked by playing any competitive mode. Although repeats did occur, they were far less than the current model due to the vast number of sets. Players had their pick of the lot with any competitive mode- they could choose Plunder, Team Objective, Hardcore or even the standard TDM.

What Could Have Been:

This dream system (my dream, at least) would be a mix of the beta and the current model-  make treasures available in all modes, but include a note on each set with something like "Found in every mode, but shows up the most in 3TDM". This would allow for a player to:

a) at least consider trying out a new mode

b) still be able to complete the set at a slower, but realistic rate by playing other playlists.

Of course, it would also be without bugs. This would also work between co-op and competitive, allowing for 1 lucky fellow ad his friends to possibly unlock Tablot's FAL after finishing a round of Arena on Crushing.

Questions, comments and concerns are all possible by hitting that reply button and typing your feedback. Keep in mind that my mind is not too creative, so feel free to also post your own ideas on any of the aspects, or even simply providing insight on how to fix the current model for the better. Buyign treasures with Just Cash medals would be a step in the right direction, and that idea was directly from a different community member (whose name I can't remember. My sincerest apologies.) If I see enough positive feeback, I may include a whole section filled with posters' ideas and their names to provide credit. Thank you for reading tihs massive post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 1 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1761 posts

Re: Treasure System- What Is, Was, and Could Have Been

Apr 2, 2012

http://youtu.be/g0MbBgQm9VI

*awesome lagger.gif*

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/145/b/e/luffy_pistol_by_g_manbg-d3h68ae.gif

I will turn on my DLC switch "ON" ,,, after i play YEMEN TDM >Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Originally all treasures were map specific. I'm referring to competetive as well.

Also I have picked up a floating Treasure before, but it was close enought to the edge that I could hit Triangle quickly after releasing from the ledge. Of course I killed myself but first it made me stop mid air and stand on nothing while it showed my pick up the treasure before going back to falling to my doom.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 3 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Apr 2, 2012

I agree, the treasure system needs some changes:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4680048?tstart=0

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 4 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4881 posts

Apr 2, 2012

I like your ideas, treasures aren't bad but they were IMO poorly planned.

Message 5 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Honestly I think the character weapon system/treasure system is a bit wacky, it would have been a lot better IMO if it were more like this:

• Character weapons were just weapon skins, nothing more
  • Weapon mod system had a "weight" variant, so you could equip multiple mods (in a limited fashion).  Mods like Accuracy and Rate of Fire would cost all of the weapon's weight
    • For instance, say that each long gun had a capacity of 100 units.  Mods except ROF/Accuracy would cost 50 units, while the former will cost 100 units.
  • In relation to this, Weapon Expert would give you additional weight capacity at level 3 for long guns, and at level 1 for sidearms.
    • Let's say at level 3, Weapon Expert gave you an additional 50 units to spend.
  • This way no one would be deprived of access to multi-modded weapons, instead of the current "the rich get richer" system.  People would only wanted the weapons for their mods would no longer have any issues.
  • If the weapon skins are undesireable, perhaps this could be replaced with more character-specific unlocks (like Flynn's bandana)

Before anyone says "that's just like COD" or something like that, I have never in my life played any of the COD franchise.  I am not big on FPS games or shooters in general, besides this one.

Regarding the character item-related treasure sets (Arena/Hunter), either they need to add more variety to the drops in Arena, or they need to fix Hunter.

sigbar

Message 6 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1876 posts

Apr 2, 2012

download.jpg

Message 7 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Apr 2, 2012

I think you made some good points, especially about why treasure shouldn't be tied to certain modes. I think in addtion to your suggestions, treasures should be able to be bought and traded, similar to how things are randomly obtained, bought, traded, and crafted in Team Fortress 2 (the game that I think ND was copying with this treasure/clothing/custom weapon system).

I think you should be rewarded for playing the game, and not for simply being lucky, as the system is set up now. If you accumluate a large amount of money, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to purchase a certain treasure that you haven't been able to get just because the random slot machine treasure system didn't decide that you deserve it yet. Also what if you got all the treasures for something like Ramses' cowboy hat, but you don't want it. But you know someone who does want it and they have some item that you want. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to trade these items with each other? I think this would make the game feel more rewarding for everyone since it's easy to make money and lots people have tons of money with nothing to spend it on. I'm guessing these people are also missing treasures that they want.

And ND could just coninually add new custom clothing and weapon skins DLC like they did with the Eddy, Flynn, and Lazarevic items to give people more stuff to buy.

Message 8 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3077 posts

Apr 3, 2012

It's the repeats and blanks that are horrible.  And yes, if you play crushing, and complete it, you should be rewarded with more rare treasure.  Plain and simple!

The current twisted version of what we have seems designed to keep players playing, but not in a good way!  It so boring to farm, and if you didn't farm, essentially, it would be impossible to complete certain sets. 

Why weren't skins awarded for completing the Single Player Campaign on HARD and CRUSHING, like UC2?  To make all of them unlockable via treasure set was just dumb.  What is the incentive to complete the SP portion of the game (other than to platinum)?  Why WOULDN'T you provide an ulockable at the end of the HARD or CRUSHIG campaign?  It's another NDI common sense mystery wrapped up in an enigma. 

WHY? 

YOUTUBE SLEAZEVISION

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com

Message 9 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1564 posts

Apr 3, 2012

@OP......i agree with everything you say, Naughty Dog, HIRE THIS MAN!

Message 10 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes