Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 22 2013
By: pdiss88 Treasure Hunter 5842 posts

UC2 vs. UC3 - The pros and cons of each in retrospect

70 replies 830 views Edited Mar 22, 2013

I had a discussion about this topic in another community group and it moved me to make a video talking about my thoughts on it all. Basically, I can find things I like in both: what I like in UC3 and would want continued into UC4 as well as things that I think UC3 did worse and would prefer went back to the old way. Let me know what you think, agree or disagree on. Hopefully we can get a discussion going!

http://youtu.be/sxbPqf6bhqw

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 71 (830 Views)
Gaming Beast
1982 posts

Re: UC2 vs. UC3 - The pros and cons of each in retrospect

Mar 22, 2013
Uncharted 2
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 71 (799 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Uncharted 2

Pros:

• Weapon balance (at least as a result of lack of loadouts).
  • SP replay value and customization
  • simplicity
  • no level up boosters
  • revenge was useless

Cons:

• Low health
  • No grenade throwback
  • OP pistole (sanctuary underground murder)
  • SA

Uncharted 3

Pros:

• LOADOUTS! Although weapon balance took quite a while and still isn't perfect.
  • Sprint, although poorly implemented and does need a nerf.
  • Overall mobility.
  • Co-op.
  • Splitscreen and offline co-op play.
  • High health.
  • Kickbacks, when not used just to avoid a strait up gunfight, they are actually good. Perfect for camper justice (**hint** megabomb). :smileyvery-happy: However, balance issues were preasent at launch. 
  • Mods, and character guns.
  • Treasures for unlockables. Although INCREDIBLY poorly implemented. 
  • Grenade throw-back, although now too OP. It needs a throw-back radius nerf.
  • Block mesh maps.
  • Character customization, although they DEFINATELY should have 'consolidated' all of the Drake's into just one Drake. As well as all of the other character skins (except for younger versions maybe).
  • Legacies, I personally liked them (in the higher levels of UC2 it just took SOO long to level up). 
  • Tournament system, although there are many problems with it and it is kind of a money scam.

Cons:

• Overpowered Blindfire.
  • Incredibly, laughably useless cover.
  • Clunky climbing mechanics.
  • Too many power weapons. Through kickbacks (and stackable Bargain's) and power weapons on map, UC3 has just too many of them. I would say either take out one or the other. 
  • Most maps are just too small, impossible to interact with other players outside of CQC. 
  • Co-op support.
  • No SP store, therefore no SP customizations so little replay value.
  • Clunky SP aiming mechanics (maybe you didn't realise it but this may be the reason that UC3 wasn't as much fun for you as UC2).
  • Wack-n-roll
  • Rushed customization.
  • Lag, most problems stem from this. 
  • Lack of legacy rewards
  • Lack of permanent rewards for the tournament 
  • Everything was just too rushed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 71 (786 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Mar 22, 2013
I liked it. Yeah.
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 71 (773 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
407 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

Basically gonna say what I feel on certain subjects. I'm going to try to make this short as possible, which I'll probably fail at.

Gameplay:  While I feel the aiming and controls were superior in U2, there are a few gameplay changes that I did like. Outside of the removal of bunny hopping, certain abilities like being able to throw grenades while in the air is a welcome addition for me and helps make the gameplay more fast-paced.

Blindfire:  As you've said before, blindfire has always been a problem. In U2 because of the lower health and powerful pistol, and in U3 simply because it was made better.  Still, it's a good thing that they lowered the blindfire speed in the Subway Beta before the full game came out as that was ridiculous. IIRC, it was pretty much the same speed as actually running, which made the KAL-7 by far the most useful gun in the Beta.

Kickbacks:  My main problem with the kickbacks isn't the system itself, but some of the actual kickbacks. I don't have a problem with stuff like Explosives, Speedy G, Disruption, etc. It's mainly the ones like Quick Boom and Hammer Time. Basically kickbacks that give you power weapons. I would be fine with an RPG kickback if it was 14 medals like it was in the Beta, but only one rocket like they have it now. Other than maybe the Sniper, I think all of the others should be removed. I do see what you're saying with the "If they're already doing good, why do they need more" argument. I just think, if properly balanced, kickbacks could add more spice to the game.

Loadouts vs. Classic:  Personally, I don't have a problem with either. Though I do think certain mods make the loadout system worst. Stuff like Rate of Fire, Call Out, and even Accuracy. I like the option of letting players choose which weapons they want, but at the same it becomes harder to balance weapons. For example, the KAL-7 wouldn't be that big of a deal if there was only one or maybe two on each map like the M4 in Uncharted 2, but since it's a loadout, there's much more complaints about it. Same with the Rate of Fire M9.

I also enjoy the U2/U3 Classic style of things, though at the same time it takes away certain options. Some people like to use the Sniper as their weapon of choice, but with there only being 1-2 on the map, it hurts those players.

Boosters:  With Boosters, I feel the U2 way of doing things was better. While U3 does add more to do by having you level them up and make them better, it also results in certain boosters becoming too good. I think U2's Booster system was better as everything was simplistic and nothing was really "too good".

Stat Hats:  Stat Hats I'm eh about. As others have said multiple times, no one asked for them, but I'd be fine with them if it weren't for certain effects. Headshot damage is the main example. There shouldn't be any booster or stat hat that allows you to do more damage. That was a very stupid decision. Another one that I think was a bad idea is the Cloaked stat hats. This pretty much allows people to get one of the biggest advantages of the Cloaked booster, while still allowing them to use boosters like Fleet Foot or Scoped In, essentially allowing them to "Have it both ways". This is one of the most used Stat Hats among high level players, usually used in combination with one of the previously mentioned boosters.  

Other stat hats that shouldn't be available are Call Out and Ping ones, for obvious reasons. It also doesn't help that the other effects are hardly useful because they don't have enough of an effect. Clip Size and Max Ammo stats are hardly useful since they don't add enough. If Clip Size was 15%, and Max Ammo was at least 20%, then they would actually mean something. While something I probably wouldn't like to see return, if they changed those things, I wouldn't have a problem with them returning.

stayFROST-E's post reminded me of a few things I forgot too touch on.

Grenade Throwbacks:  While not a bad idea, I feel they are definitely too easy to throwback. There's also the problem of you not being able to throw them back sometimes despite it still being in the white zone. I think it should have stayed the way it was in the Summer Beta. IIRC, throwing back grenades then were pretty difficult and actually took timing, which is good.

Co-op: I'll cut this part short so as to avoid a really long wall of text, considering I've already made topics and posts on this subject.

While I did enjoy U3's "Co-op story" and liked how they had multiple chapters and such, I think overall U2's Co-op is better. While U3's Co-op Adventure side is fine, I don't exactly like how they combined all of the modes into one.  That would have been fine as an extra mode or something, but completely removing split game types hurt it for me. As is constantly said, many liked playing Survival by itself. While I liked Gold Rush and Siege, sometimes I just wanted to kill enemies. If I wanted to do some to do something different, I'd play Gold Rush or SIege. If not, Survival was always there. Why they thought it was a good idea to remove that is beyond me.

Headshots were a lot more rewarding in U2 as they OHKO'd every non-armored enemy, where as U3's eat 4-5 before they go down. In U3, unless you're using a Sniper or a Mag-5, they're not really worth it outside of removing helmets

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 71 (769 Views)
Last Guardian
11053 posts

Mar 22, 2013
Blindfire is probably the worst issue in U3 since the Subway Beta, the rest are just a pure letdown; stats hats for example, tournament system... i thought ND was capable of more but apparently money talks.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 71 (761 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Mar 22, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

I had a discussion about this topic in another community group and it moved me to make a video talking about my thoughts on it all. Basically, I can find things I like in both: what I like in UC3 and would want continued into UC4 as well as things that I think UC3 did worse and would prefer went back to the old way. Let me know what you think, agree or disagree on. Hopefully we can get a discussion going!

http://youtu.be/sxbPqf6bhqw

Both games are great. I love how fast paced the U3 multiplayer is, which is probably why I enjoy it a tad bit more. U2's multiplayer had quite a few issues itself, but I still enjoyed it. Broken spawns though o.o EXTREMELY broken. I'd have to say that was U2's downfall, had the worst spawns I've ever seen. U3's downfall is definately the blindfire and lag issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 71 (736 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Agreed on all points except for spawning with default weapons.  I'm not sure what I like so much abou loadouts, but there's something satisfying in being able to switch to your sniper and take out a camper.  I'm glad you posted this on the forums, this place needs some common sense to revive it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 71 (722 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
684 posts

Mar 23, 2013

TurkeyBacon41 wrote:

Agreed on all points except for spawning with default weapons.  I'm not sure what I like so much abou loadouts, but there's something satisfying in being able to switch to your sniper and take out a camper.  I'm glad you posted this on the forums, this place needs some common sense to revive it.

Hey Turkey. :wave:

See you in Uncharted 4!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 71 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4825 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

Good on you for making a balanced opinion on both games.

TBH both games had pros and cons.
People focused far too much on the pros for UC2 and the cons for UC3. I dislike that as it's just glorifying that you prefer UC2 over UC3 and that if anyone disagreed that they are a noob. There were things that UC3 improved upon and things that UC2 did better in.

I would personally say that more people would probably be playing UC2 if the 1.05 weapon balances did not occur. That to me is what made people leave UC2.
With UC3 however they were being too ambicious in a way. They stuffed the game with far too many features which ended up making the game feel rushed. Jack of all trades but master of none type thing. Also the blindfire was very OTT.

I will be honest that I much prefer the health and rolling of UC3 over current UC2 however I prefer the simplicity and co-op modes of UC2 over UC3.

Hopefully next time they try not to go overboard on features and try focus on bringing us a polished MP and a fun co-op mode.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 71 (698 Views)