Wastelander
684 posts

Re: UC2 vs. UC3 - The pros and cons of each in retrospect

Mar 23, 2013

stayFROST-E wrote:

Uncharted 2

Pros:

• Weapon balance (at least as a result of lack of loadouts).
  • SP replay value and customization
  • simplicity
  • no level up boosters
  • revenge was useless

Cons:

• Low health
  • No grenade throwback
  • OP pistole (sanctuary underground murder)
  • SA

Uncharted 3

Pros:

• LOADOUTS! Although weapon balance took quite a while and still isn't perfect.
  • Sprint, although poorly implemented and does need a nerf.
  • Overall mobility.
  • Co-op.
  • Splitscreen and offline co-op play.
  • High health.
  • Kickbacks, when not used just to avoid a strait up gunfight, they are actually good. Perfect for camper justice (**hint** megabomb). Smiley Very Happy However, balance issues were preasent at launch. 
  • Mods, and character guns.
  • Treasures for unlockables. Although INCREDIBLY poorly implemented. 
  • Grenade throw-back, although now too OP. It needs a throw-back radius nerf.
  • Block mesh maps.
  • Character customization, although they DEFINATELY should have 'consolidated' all of the Drake's into just one Drake. As well as all of the other character skins (except for younger versions maybe).
  • Legacies, I personally liked them (in the higher levels of UC2 it just took SOO long to level up). 
  • Tournament system, although there are many problems with it and it is kind of a money scam.

Cons:

• Overpowered Blindfire.
  • Incredibly, laughably useless cover.
  • Clunky climbing mechanics.
  • Too many power weapons. Through kickbacks (and stackable Bargain's) and power weapons on map, UC3 has just too many of them. I would say either take out one or the other. 
  • Most maps are just too small, impossible to interact with other players outside of CQC. 
  • Co-op support.
  • No SP store, therefore no SP customizations so little replay value.
  • Clunky SP aiming mechanics (maybe you didn't realise it but this may be the reason that UC3 wasn't as much fun for you as UC2).
  • Wack-n-roll
  • Rushed customization.
  • Lag, most problems stem from this. 
  • Lack of legacy rewards
  • Lack of permanent rewards for the tournament 
  • Everything was just too rushed.

Really well thought out pros and cons, I agree with almost all of this

See you in Uncharted 4!
Message 11 of 71 (1,079 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

Mar 23, 2013

stayFROST-E wrote:

Uncharted 2

Pros:

• simplicity
  • no level up boosters
  • revenge was useless

Cons:

• Low health
  • No grenade throwback
  • SA

Uncharted 3

Pros:

• Overall mobility.
  • Co-op.
  • High health.
  • Kickbacks, when not used just to avoid a strait up gunfight, they are actually good. Perfect for camper justice (**hint** megabomb). Smiley Very Happy However, balance issues were preasent at launch. 
  • Block mesh maps.
  • Character customization, although they DEFINATELY should have 'consolidated' all of the Drake's into just one Drake. As well as all of the other character skins (except for younger versions maybe).
  • Legacies, I personally liked them (in the higher levels of UC2 it just took SOO long to level up). 
  • Tournament system, although there are many problems with it and it is kind of a money scam.

Cons:

• Overpowered Blindfire.
  • Too many power weapons. Through kickbacks (and stackable Bargain's) and power weapons on map, UC3 has just too many of them. I would say either take out one or the other. 
  • Most maps are just too small, impossible to interact with other players outside of CQC. 
  • Co-op support.
  • Clunky SP aiming mechanics (maybe you didn't realise it but this may be the reason that UC3 wasn't as much fun for you as UC2).
  • Wack-n-roll
  • Rushed customization.
  • Lack of legacy rewards

I agree with most of this, besides maybe the wack-n-roll being bad and the grenade throwbacks being good. I kinda forgot about grenades, but I definitely preferred those in UC2 overall.

I also forgot SA. UC3 definitely gets a big nod on that. Sometimes I take for granted just how awesome it is not having to worry about some jerk waiting around the corner with his pistol holding up. It totally kills any sense or surprise or flanking, as an enemy can see you coming no matter what you do to try and avoid that.

Message 12 of 71 (1,058 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

tack129 wrote:

Good on you for making a balanced opinion on both games.

TBH both games had pros and cons.
People focused far too much on the pros for UC2 and the cons for UC3. I dislike that as it's just glorifying that you prefer UC2 over UC3 and that if anyone disagreed that they are a noob. There were things that UC3 improved upon and things that UC2 did better in.

I would personally say that more people would probably be playing UC2 if the 1.05 weapon balances did not occur. That to me is what made people leave UC2.
With UC3 however they were being too ambicious in a way. They stuffed the game with far too many features which ended up making the game feel rushed. Jack of all trades but master of none type thing. Also the blindfire was very OTT.

I will be honest that I much prefer the health and rolling of UC3 over current UC2 however I prefer the simplicity and co-op modes of UC2 over UC3.

Hopefully next time they try not to go overboard on features and try focus on bringing us a polished MP and a fun co-op mode.

Yeah, I feel like there were some innovations that really revolutionized the game for the better in UC3. On the other hand, there are just as many that either fell short or actually made the game worse. That's basically UC3 in a nutshell.

Message 13 of 71 (1,055 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Mar 23, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

Uncharted 2

Pros:

• simplicity
  • no level up boosters
  • revenge was useless

Cons:

• Low health
  • No grenade throwback
  • SA

Uncharted 3

Pros:

• Overall mobility.
  • Co-op.
  • High health.
  • Block mesh maps.

Cons:

• Overpowered Blindfire.
  • Co-op support.
  • Wack-n-roll
  • Rushed customization.
  • Lack of legacy rewards

I agree with most of this, besides maybe the wack-n-roll being bad and the grenade throwbacks being good. I kinda forgot about grenades, but I definitely preferred those in UC2 overall.

I also forgot SA. UC3 definitely gets a big nod on that. Sometimes I take for granted just how awesome it is not having to worry about some jerk waiting around the corner with his pistol holding up. It totally kills any sense or surprise or flanking, as an enemy can see you coming no matter what you do to try and avoid that.

If lag didn't exist then whack n roll wouldn't be so bad. But as someone who let's most lag slide and hardly ever gets aggravated by it, I will say that is the only instance where I'll noticed and actually get a little ticked about Lag. Everything else I let slide. As for grenades..They're useless now, but in U2 they were OP as hell. Add in the ole U2 lag (which was way worse in my experience) and you've got an aggravating thing on your hands. Not to mention you could carry 2. Uncharted 3 should have you spawn with 2 grenades since they have been toned down a lot.

Message 14 of 71 (1,050 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
741 posts

Mar 23, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

tack129 wrote:

Good on you for making a balanced opinion on both games.

TBH both games had pros and cons.
People focused far too much on the pros for UC2 and the cons for UC3. I dislike that as it's just glorifying that you prefer UC2 over UC3 and that if anyone disagreed that they are a noob. There were things that UC3 improved upon and things that UC2 did better in.

I would personally say that more people would probably be playing UC2 if the 1.05 weapon balances did not occur. That to me is what made people leave UC2.
With UC3 however they were being too ambicious in a way. They stuffed the game with far too many features which ended up making the game feel rushed. Jack of all trades but master of none type thing. Also the blindfire was very OTT.

I will be honest that I much prefer the health and rolling of UC3 over current UC2 however I prefer the simplicity and co-op modes of UC2 over UC3.

Hopefully next time they try not to go overboard on features and try focus on bringing us a polished MP and a fun co-op mode.

Yeah, I feel like there were some innovations that really revolutionized the game for the better in UC3. On the other hand, there are just as many that either fell short or actually made the game worse. That's basically UC3 in a nutshell.

I feel the same way but I think U3 did something right because I've spent so much more time on U3 then I ever have on any other game in my life. U2 has no where near the amount of hours I've spent on U3.

Message 15 of 71 (1,047 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Mar 23, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

I only start playing UC2 after the 1.05 "catastrophe." When I played it, some people relied on grenades A LOT. They were the only way some people could get kills (kinda' makes you wonder if those same people are now the people who rely on blindfire). I think the throwback now is largely OP, but I feel as though grenades are used significantly more tactically now. 

As to wack-n-roll... I think that it's good and bad. The bad: it makes it very easy fight in CQC, which is in itself a good and bad thing (it allows for the possiblity of CQC battles but it may have just made them too easy, encouraging a blindfire oriented play-style). And that's why I think it's a con. The idea is good, but the side effects, IMO, outweigh the positive aspects to it. I do believe that it could be a very good addition to Uncharted, but it probably should be nerfed (have a minimum animation time that must occur before rolling, OR I just had an idea....

Make wack-n-roll three hit melee, but everything else two, stealth kills one. That's my idea at least, I'm actually kinda' proud of it.  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Message 16 of 71 (1,035 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Mar 23, 2013
The only bad things in Uncharted 2 IMO: Situational Awareness, slow animations, tons of glitches, almost no incentive to level up, Objective mode turned into Boosting heaven, ( I still get pleasure slaughtering those " No kill" pieces of ****) Ranked mode is stupid, Low health, OP pistol, No real incentive to play coop, quit penalty, kills count in plunder/objective, and that's about it.
Message 17 of 71 (1,006 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
381 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

stayFROST-E wrote:

Uncharted 2

Pros:

• simplicity
  • no level up boosters
  • revenge was useless
  • No bs weapon design (Ak-47 was all-round, which was a good thing)
  • Better mechanics (aiming, movement)
  • Better campaign

Cons:

• Low health
  • No grenade throwback
  • SA
  • Shotguns

Uncharted 3

Pros:

• Overall mobility.
  • Co-op.
  • High health.
  • Block mesh maps.

Cons:

• Overpowered Blindfire.
  • Co-op support.
  • Clunky SP aiming mechanics (maybe you didn't realise it but this may be the reason that UC3 wasn't as much fun for you as UC2). (This was patched, change your aiming settings)
  • Wack-n-roll
  • Rushed customization.
  • Lack of legacy rewards
  • Too much greed, when there are around 320 items of dlc available for purchase, something is wrong

One kids preferences are cons for the other...

Although my highlighting with colour is failing, the part which does show up (underscored now) is self-explenatory. As I don't agree with those, or partially....

Message 18 of 71 (993 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
381 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Looking back at my previous post, most of Uncharted 3's pros fall away... and there are a few big issues Uncharted 3 has over Uncharted 2 which play a huge part in my judgement, for example:

#1 Due to the high health you aren't able to have long range fights anymore, enemies simply run away, this works in the favour of blindfire.

#2 Blindfire gets promoted due to stupid weapon design. (ND wanted to promote picking up other guns, but they forgot that Uncharted 3 wouldn't have primary weapons laying around the map)

#3 Wack'n roll being in Uncharted 3, enforcing CQC, this obvious flawed design wasn't in Uncharted 2. Yes, you could blindfire 1 handgun bullet into someone and then melee, but it was only useful when used unexpected (the only time when melee should have a chance to win in my opinion) and gunfire was just as useful.

#4 Health isn't much of a difference close range, due to not having seperate hitboxes in Uncharted 3, the higher health only has it's cons long range for me.

They completely changed the formula of Uncharted 2, it's like: ''Aiming?! What is aiming? I will just walk up to you blindfiring and punching. If I want to play a fighting game, I will start up SSF4 thank you very much.

And the only things they kept were the wrong things and they even made them stronger: Uncharted 2 shotguns became loadout guns in Uncharted 3 and Situational Awareness got 10 cousins in Uncharted 3...

I would be ok with most of the other changes if these problems were removed.

But hey, they got rid of the silent characters (the playstation skins would have been way more appreciated than the skins we have now)

Message 19 of 71 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5193 posts

Mar 23, 2013
Don't know where you got the "Shotguns are loadout weapons" thing. There aren't any shotguns in the loadouts. There's a sniper but that's about it.
Message 20 of 71 (326 Views)
0 Likes