Fender Bender
2616 posts

Re: UC2 vs. UC3 - The pros and cons of each in retrospect

Apr 12, 2013

Yeah about the d-bags on U2.

I really think there would be a whole lot less if it wasn't abandoned like it was.

Most of my resentment towards ND is still from the abandonment of U2.

(un)moderated
I bought hardline, forgive me.
Message 61 of 71 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Apr 13, 2013

If UC2 were that much better than UC3, no one would play 3.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 62 of 71 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4298 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

U2 pros

1. map design

2. weapon balance (pre-1.05 anway, after that the game was a mess in this department)

3. for an arcade/arena style shooter, fairly smart power weapon placements

4. great visuals

5. the SP feel translated perfectly to the MP, a smooth transition from SP to MP and vice versa

6. accessible for users, but had a good enough skill curve for those looking to expand or improve their game (easy to play, difficult to master in a sense)

7. unique platforming elements that made itself stand out no only in the shooter 3rd person shooter genre, but in online shooters in general

U2 cons

1. initially had the most rediculously overpowered grenades I have ever seen in a game period, the range was absurd, they fixed this with a update down the road

2. Situation Awarness was OP and broken, plain and simple

3. a lack of perks/booster usefulness, you had plenty of boosters to choose from but maybe 4 or 5 tops were actually useful, though ultimately this lead to alot of people using the same thing, this could also be viewed as a positive thing since more often than not people were on even grounds here, so I guess this could be interpretated as a pro in a way lol

4. went through one of the worst MP updates (1.05) this side of Socom 4 and how zipper decided to take a dump on that online multiplayer

5. the spawns did become predictable and game(able) if you will but this is common amoung people who spend plenty of time knowing the games ins and outs, there isn't a perfect spawning system out there so in my opinion this is a very minor gripe I barely decided to include, they did become out of hand during 1.06 though right after the release of Flooded Ruins and Facility, spawns were really bad then

6. the pistol, melee made the shotgun questionably pointless after 1.05

U3 pros

1. had a high health system throughout, didn't go through any major health change I guess

2. melee roll did add a minor sense of depth and skill to CQC, at the very least it wasn't like U2 post 1.05 where 2 people would go at it pistol melee'ing and both would wind up on the ground usually.

3. throwing back grenades, though to be completely honest it was far to easier and ND in retrospect should have made it a bit trickier to throw them back since they almost became borderline use since they were that easy to throw back

4. a larger variety of useful perks/boosters, where as U2 the only thing people would usually use was DTI, FF, SA, Evasion

5. eventually added greater custimization options in custom, so yay ( i couldn't find an emoticon with a party hat on it sorry)

6. block mesh maps, probably the only goods maps made in U3 outside of Yemen

U3 cons

1. weapon/gunplay was broken beyond natural belief, every other month or so something become OP, abused or exploited, it was a abusrd to see a MP game evolve at such a break neck pace and clearly illustrate that ND had a poor understanding of balance in multiplayer games

2. some of the worst maps I've ever seen, outside of maybe Yemen, which I think is fairly balance and fun, the rest of the U3 maps are terrible in design, the best maps in U3 multiplayer are U2 maps, thats kind of sad when a MP sequels maps are almost all inferior to the prior entry in the series

3. multiplayer cinematics, it was glitchy, it was laggy, and nodoy thought it was spectacular or epic the 100th time around, only thing epic about it was how far away some of those laggy grenades would kill me, seriously

4. dumbed down visuals (yes I understand the whole split-screen thing) if there is one thing Uncharted definitely did before the new Tomb Raider reboot, it was having lackluster visuals in it's multiplayer, so congrats Uncharted 3 multiplayer...

5. kickbacks, none of them were amusing (outside of maybe speedy G where I could run around looking like a fairy for like 20 seconds and the T-bolt I guess) none of them were satisfying, and more importantly every other month one of them was broken, unbalanced, and OP. also nobody asked for killstreaks in Uncharted but you somehow still manage to not only include them, but make none of them even half amusing as the source material you got it from (hey it might be rediculous but at least it's fun to pilot a LodeStar I guess, still rediculous)

6. You took away basic features from your past MP entry, U2 via seeing how was in who's party, and being able to see who was in a match when viewing a cinema, why?

I didn't include blind-fire because that is a universal problem in both multiplayer games.

Message 63 of 71 (246 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5842 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

pdiss88 wrote:

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

I thought the same about BF3 now I have 950 hrs into it.

BF3 is annoying and frustrating to new players, but once you start playing the objectives to the best of your ability and learning the vehicles it really is one of the best FPS on the market.

Thank you for sharing that.

It's hard to get people to have an open mind, and try some thing new.

When I mean try I mean give it a real effort.

I once got into an arguement with some one on here about it really being a good game.

This person told me that they bought it and got spawn killed 3 or 4 times in a row on conquest and took the game back.

He took it back with out knowing you choose your spawn in conquest.

Shame.

I bet the numerous new players spawning on syria to be greated by a t-bolt thought U3 was the best.

I've loved the Battlefield series since BF2. I thought both BC2 and BF3 were great.

I really think the series has something for everyone, especially in BF3. The game modes and maps are extremely varied. If you're a fraghead who likes Call of Duty, there are plenty of modes where you can run around playing it like a twitch shooter and get lots of kills. If you're a player who's not the best at gunfights, there are lots of support activities such as using vehicles, reviving teammates, blowing up vehicles, etc. that can still cause you to help the team greatly. In fact, you're probably even more of an asset than the guy running around on foot shooting everyone.

A lot of my older friends in their 30's play BF3 as their FPS of choice because of these things. I'm really the only 2+ KDR twitch shooter in the group. Getting a negative KDR isn't really that dooming to them when they spent all match capturing objectives and reviving squadmates. A great game for all those PTFO players out there.

Message 64 of 71 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10183 posts

Apr 14, 2013
Lol, C4 in all vehicles I drive.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 65 of 71 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13793 posts

Apr 14, 2013

scootgar wrote:

If UC2 were that much better than UC3, no one would play 3.

Do you stick around and get no support or move to U3 and get updates?

As much better as Uncharted 2 is gameplay and balance wise. It still has horrible game breaking issues, Bunny Hopping / Glitches that both went unfixed.

The latter voided Plunder of any integrity at all. and the only option for a Plunderer is Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2 will just have you in a match where everyone is holding the idol with 2 hands and sprinting like mad.

Message 66 of 71 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Apr 14, 2013

Remember  that plunder glitch in the lost city in the heros spawn? You would just throw it at a broken wall, and it would spawn all the way on the otherside of the map :smileytongue: lol, lifesaver when getting ambushed by po5's.

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Message 67 of 71 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
845 posts

Apr 14, 2013

I obviously now see that this is about the multiplayer, but I still have to say something. I just finished the game and feel that U2's ending was hundred times better than U3. It was just lacking that same feeling that U2 gave.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 68 of 71 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10183 posts

Apr 14, 2013
UC2 SP is better then UC3 no doubt.

There is no way aimlessly walking around in the desert is cool.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 69 of 71 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4298 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

pdiss88 wrote:

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

pdiss88 wrote:

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

I thought the same about BF3 now I have 950 hrs into it.

BF3 is annoying and frustrating to new players, but once you start playing the objectives to the best of your ability and learning the vehicles it really is one of the best FPS on the market.

Thank you for sharing that.

It's hard to get people to have an open mind, and try some thing new.

When I mean try I mean give it a real effort.

I once got into an arguement with some one on here about it really being a good game.

This person told me that they bought it and got spawn killed 3 or 4 times in a row on conquest and took the game back.

He took it back with out knowing you choose your spawn in conquest.

Shame.

I bet the numerous new players spawning on syria to be greated by a t-bolt thought U3 was the best.

I've loved the Battlefield series since BF2. I thought both BC2 and BF3 were great.

I really think the series has something for everyone, especially in BF3. The game modes and maps are extremely varied. If you're a fraghead who likes Call of Duty, there are plenty of modes where you can run around playing it like a twitch shooter and get lots of kills. If you're a player who's not the best at gunfights, there are lots of support activities such as using vehicles, reviving teammates, blowing up vehicles, etc. that can still cause you to help the team greatly. In fact, you're probably even more of an asset than the guy running around on foot shooting everyone.

A lot of my older friends in their 30's play BF3 as their FPS of choice because of these things. I'm really the only 2+ KDR twitch shooter in the group. Getting a negative KDR isn't really that dooming to them when they spent all match capturing objectives and reviving squadmates. A great game for all those PTFO players out there.

Honestly I don't really like BF3 all that much. And this is coming from someone who played BF 1942, bought both Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WWII, BF2, all those packs, I even liked BF 2142 (even though a lot of players didn't and to be honest it wasn't as good as BF2). I've also played BF heroes, whic was alright I guess, never really cared about either of the bad company games to be honest. (clearly designed for consoles and very poorly optimized for PC's)

Honestly the clear focus of BF3 wanting to compete with CoD was a big turn off for me. From the clear lack of vehicle focus, to the much smaller maps which promoted smaller skirmishes, it just didn't have the size and scale that I was used to when it came to Battlefield. That and the fact that people ACTUALLY complain about hardcore mode having "too much health", where I think BF3 in general has far too low of a health system. It just kind of let me down overall. I hardly ever care to touch the game on PC. Hell I think ARMA 2 had a overall better scale in terms of multiplayer than BF3 lol. Hopefully BF4 has that epic scale and vehicle combat I originally came to know and love from the series. 

Message 70 of 71 (117 Views)
0 Likes