Dec 27 2013
By: Blennerville Survivor 2683 posts

UC3 & UC2; The Core Gameplay Mechanics

[ Edited ]
193 replies 1142 views Edited Jan 13, 2014

Just played some more UC3 today and I couldnt believe how bad the core mechanics were - Movement, Climbing, Jumping, Cover, Shooting.

The game lost a lot of what was so great about Uncharted (2) multiplayer. I am talking about from a gameplay mechanics perspective mainly. Technically UC2 is Better (was better before 1.05). UC3 is good and has a lot of thing that are better but but UC2's core mechanics were much better.

Use UC2's core mechanics when designing UC4.

Im not saying UC2 is flawless and doesnt have issues and im not saying lets just take UC2 exactly the way it is and let that be UC4 (old issues wouldnt carry over - plunder glitches, bunny-hopping.....etc.)

I am just saying for Uncharted 4 ND please just start with UC2's core mechanics as the foundation, build the MP around that foundation - adding all the good stuff from UC3 as well as adding new stuff, just use UC2's Core Mechanics - Movement( add sprint), climbing, jumping, cover, shooting as the base.

why create new movement, climbing, jumping, cover and shooting mechanics all from scratch when they were great in UC2. These were all better in UC2, they should have used them. Lets not make the same mistake again and lets use UC2 as the base for UC4 since it got the bare-bones and core gameplay mechanics right, lets work on perfecting them. (same applies to single player gameplay mechanics)

I am just saying for Uncharted 4 MP to use UC2's core mechanics as the base - perfect them and build from there adding new stuff.

Use UC2's skeleton (core mechanics) and build the game around them, adding the good additions UC3 had (only the good stuff) as well as new stuff.

{U3 never had that "natural" feeling to it ._. I wish they fixed that. The aiming doesn't feel right along with the camera speed, character movement/speed, clunky animations, aim assist, and the annoying tripping animations ever so present in every map compared to U2.

None of it felt natural and required u to get used to it :/ rather than to pick it up and get hooked with ease. Its like they designed this multi by putting many things together without proper thought just like the sp chapters >_>

I hope u4 is a smoother experience} - Silver-Knight47

OrangeAddict wrote:

{I think Uncharted 2's multiplayer was far more polished, apart from map exploits there was never really any core mechanic issues, the feel of the mechanics in UC2 was more weighted and felt and worked better, Uncharted 3 does bring more in terms of gameplay but it does not have that premium well made feel, the mchanics are clunky and not implmemeted that well.

There are for sure some great additions in uc3 but they don't outweigh the core problems, I sincerely hope they have learnt a lot of lesson from uc2 and uc3. The last of us has a pretty solid barebones multiplayer which gives me hope that the next uncharted can retake that apporach.}

Message 1 of 194 (1,142 Views)
Fender Bender
2166 posts

Re: UC3 = Bad Code

Dec 27, 2013
Problem is... Uncharted 3 also fixed many of Uncharted 2's problems. The Summer Beta was a good mix between both games with certain elements, but there's no way to tell how it would have turned out if they released the game like that.

I personally can't stand the spawns in Uncharted 2, it makes the game less enjoyable, not to mention all the bunny hopping and out of map glitches.

I feel they should just keep working on the format until it's near perfect, I don't think I'm ready to go back to Uncharted 2 yet, not saying it's a bad game, but I don't want to face problems that have already been fixed.
Pepsi
Message 2 of 194 (1,126 Views)
Fender Bender
2590 posts

Dec 27, 2013

Can you list what exactly UC3 destroyed that was so good about UC2 except aiming & climbing mechanics.

I personally think UC3 is simply better technically.

Message 3 of 194 (1,122 Views)
Survivor
2683 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

Most of the core things, it would almost be easier for someone to name a feature from UC3 and for me to describe if its for better or worse.

It doesnt feel as much like Uncharted anymore, its like the game was forced to be more like something its not and it kinda wound up lost in translation (ever since the beta anyway).

Everytime I play it I might have a few enjoyable games but then the game shows itself for what it is COD, Gears and Uncharted thrown into a blender.

Why didnt they just use UC2's as the base for UC3 and add all that stuff if they wanted.

Message 4 of 194 (1,118 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2683 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 28, 2013

What problems were fixed ??

I agree the beta was a good blend of old and new - it felt like Uncharted, not that it was perfect, it still introduced problems where there were previously none, that game could have been tweeked to work but what we currently have is not that game it is completely different - it on its own path.

In order to go forward we must first go back to the true path.

I will answer tomorrow Wycliff, tis 1am here so I better get some sleep.

Message 5 of 194 (1,112 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2590 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

Everything (almost) down to the code, it would almost be easier your someone to name a feature from UC3 and for me to describe whats wrong with it.

It doesnt feel like Uncharted anymore, its like the game was forced to be something its not and it kinda wound up lost in translation (ever since the beta anyway).

everytime I play it I might have a few enjoyable games but then the game shows itself for what it is COD, Gears and Uncharted thrown into a blender.

What exactly doesn't make it feel like Uncharted?

UC2 & 3 are seperate games not direct sequels I think each should be judged on their own merits.

Well I'll Try.

Kickbacks - 

Sprint-

Customizations -

loadouts - 

Block Mesh Maps - 

Tournament :smileyindifferent:

Dynamic Intros & Random Dynamic Events On Certain Maps - 

Faster paced Gameplay - 

Split Screen - 

Legacy - 

These are just features of UC3 off the top of my head, not what I like about the game so you can give your opinion on them & list others while you're at it.

Message 6 of 194 (1,102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2166 posts

Dec 28, 2013
Spawning was fixed, in Uncharted 2, I would just get spawn raped an entire match, in Uncharted 3 I find it rare to even get spawn killed once (Unless I'm playing Plunder or Syria). I actually found it so bad in UC2, I decided to only play Co-op and Elimination until UC3's release. This also helped stopped heavy camping... Yes, some people still do it, but it's not nearly as bad from what I've seen.

Bunny hopping is pretty useless in this game, the jump and roll animations are different and can't be spammed.

At least three exploits to get outside of a map were fixed, granted, this game also included some new ones, but they are much harder to preform than the ones that still exist in Uncharted 2.

Team Objective is an actual mode in this UC3, not just a place to farm cash like it was in UC2.

Most of Uncharted 2's technical problems carried over, but one was fixed, remember when a game would start and every player would just be standing still, but in actual fact, their invisble ghosts were roaming the map picking up power weapons, and racing to the spawn points? As far as I'm aware, this has never happened in Uncharted 3.

While the aiming in UC3 is worse, they have greatly improved the hit-dection for players who AREN'T hosting. In UC2, if I was playing a party from South America who were hosting, my bullets would not hit them at all.

Climbing also sucks in UC3, but there's less delay between jumps which is very helpful, too bad it's also very inaccurate.

Booster balance is better in UC3, even after 1.18.

Oh! And most importantly, you can't use the running glitch with the treasure idol anymore. I officially quit Plunder in UC2 because of that exploit.
Pepsi
Message 7 of 194 (1,087 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11231 posts

Dec 28, 2013
You mean like, the mechanics? I actually think they're better in U3.

In U2 climbing stuff was so laggy and delayed, it'd always take ages to jump onto a cover or climb walls, in U3 they added that "gliding" animation when you jump at a cover spot, making it less laggy and faster to perform.

The climbing mechanics are kind of still the same, the aiming while hanging has a huge delay in U3 though, in U2 you just needed to press L1 and your character would aim, but if you're hanging on a wall and trying to aim at someone on U3? Heh, good luck, it takes like 2 to 3 seconds to aim at someone and when you do you're already dead. :smileysad:

But, i miss the U2 aiming, it may look the same but for me aiming in U3 is so derpy, i dunno why, maybe it's all the recoil (U2 had little to no recoil), but still, i just like the old reticle better, and it getting red when hitting was ok too, but i think i prefer the hit-markers, maybe if they put both it'd please everyone.

Message 8 of 194 (1,076 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2683 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 28, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

Everything (almost) down to the code, it would almost be easier your someone to name a feature from UC3 and for me to describe whats wrong with it.

It doesnt feel like Uncharted anymore, its like the game was forced to be something its not and it kinda wound up lost in translation (ever since the beta anyway).

everytime I play it I might have a few enjoyable games but then the game shows itself for what it is COD, Gears and Uncharted thrown into a blender.

What exactly doesn't make it feel like Uncharted?

UC2 & 3 are seperate games not direct sequels I think each should be judged on their own merits.

Well I'll Try.

Kickbacks - 

Sprint-

Customizations -

loadouts - 

Block Mesh Maps - 

Tournament :smileyindifferent:

Dynamic Intros & Random Dynamic Events On Certain Maps - 

Faster paced Gameplay - 

Split Screen - 

Legacy - 

These are just features of UC3 off the top of my head, not what I like about the game so you can give your opinion on them & list others while you're at it.

I had a big long post written up and there was an error when posting and i lost most of it. i was only able to reload a small part of it (i knew i should have copied it first) :smileysad: so i dont feel like writting it up again right now but i will get on it. Im taking about Gameplay and Mechanics so costumization, Block Mesh Maps, tournament, split screen, legacy, Dynamic intros dont really apply

here is what i recovered.

The way it plays. UC3 is the second multiplayer Uncharted - you would expect a natural progression - to build on UC2's foundation like Gears 1, 2, 3 or Cod 4, 5, 6 etc., yet UC3 doesnt, UC3 starts from scratch (hench why simple things like shooting and climbing are worse) and also changed to appeal more to COD/Gears style gamers while sacrificing what gave Uncharted its identity, what made it stand out.

I wouldnt mind new things being added, but they should have used UC2 as the base and added to that and there wouldnt be as many issues.

Kickbacks

- They disrupt the play in UC3, it plays better without them.

- A poor copy of Killstreaks, they have just become "a crutch" as you would say. Matches have become a race to activate the power weapon kickback. Random medals that dont encourage any decent playstyle and that are given willy-nilly way going towards kickbacks - it doesnt work.

I dont know if kickbacks could ever work in a good manner, i wouldnt mind if there were none in UC4, but if they were to work the way in which they are awarded would need to be smarter. e.g. - only rewards (3 medal pick-up) from chests pick-ups go towards kickbacks (so it would be more like picking up power weapons) or another way would be - specific medals for playing a specific way would go towards a kickback that complements that playstyle (e.g. speedyG - sunday stroll, think and vertically and dizzy medals go towards it, Militia-man - need commando and gunslingers medals etc.) though this method might be too complicated.

Message 9 of 194 (1,042 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13729 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3 is a mixed bag of improvements and negatives.

Some things work better in each of the games.

Uncharted 2:

Gunplay Mechanics

Graphics

Character Animation

Movement

No sprinting

Better balanced boosters

Uncharted 3:

More to do

No bunny hopping

Okay my list for Uncharted 3 is thin, but having more to do is a major positive and adds a lot.

The only real downside is if I was listing negatives it would be a massive list for Uncharted 3 with probably the game speed at the top of the list which does not lend itself to the maps built around the uncharted universe so it will never ever work. while Uncharted 2 would only get the real vital one of not enough to do which is what actually seals it's fate.

Message 10 of 194 (1,009 Views)