Fender Bender
3423 posts

Re: UC3 = Bad Code

Dec 29, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

Everything (almost) down to the code, it would almost be easier your someone to name a feature from UC3 and for me to describe whats wrong with it.

It doesnt feel like Uncharted anymore, its like the game was forced to be something its not and it kinda wound up lost in translation (ever since the beta anyway).

everytime I play it I might have a few enjoyable games but then the game shows itself for what it is COD, Gears and Uncharted thrown into a blender.

What exactly doesn't make it feel like Uncharted?

UC2 & 3 are seperate games not direct sequels I think each should be judged on their own merits.

Well I'll Try.

Kickbacks - 

Sprint-

Customizations -

loadouts - 

Block Mesh Maps - 

Tournament Smiley Indifferent

Dynamic Intros & Random Dynamic Events On Certain Maps - 

Faster paced Gameplay - 

Split Screen - 

Legacy - 

These are just features of UC3 off the top of my head, not what I like about the game so you can give your opinion on them & list others while you're at it.

I had a big long post written up and there was an error when posting and i lost most of it. i was only able to reload a small part of it (i knew i should have copied it first) Smiley Sad so i dont feel like writting it up again right now but i will get on it. Im taking about Gameplay and Mechanics so costumization, Block Mesh Maps, tournament, split screen, legacy, Dynamic intros dont really apply

here is what i recovered.

The way it plays. UC3 is the second multiplayer Uncharted - you would expect a natural progression - to build on UC2's foundation like Gears 1, 2, 3 or Cod 4, 5, 6 etc., yet UC3 doesnt, UC3 starts from scratch (hench why simple things like shooting and climbing are worse) and also changed to appeal more to COD/Gears style gamers while sacrificing what gave Uncharted its identity, what made it stand out.

I wouldnt mind new things being added, but they should have used UC2 as the base and added to that and there wouldnt be as many issues.

Kickbacks

- They disrupt the play in UC3, it plays better without them.

- A poor copy of Killstreaks, they have just become "a crutch" as you would say. Matches have become a race to activate the power weapon kickback. Random medals that dont encourage any decent playstyle and that are given willy-nilly way going towards kickbacks - it doesnt work.

I dont know if kickbacks could ever work in a good manner, i wouldnt mind if there were none in UC4, but if they were to work the way in which they are awarded would need to be smarter. e.g. - only rewards (3 medal pick-up) from chests pick-ups go towards kickbacks (so it would be more like picking up power weapons) or another way would be - specific medals for playing a specific way would go towards a kickback that complements that playstyle (e.g. speedyG - sunday stroll, think and vertically and dizzy medals go towards it, Militia-man - need commando and gunslingers medals etc.) though this method might be too complicated.

See that's why I asked you to list exactly what you were referring to. Smiley Tongue

I have a question did you play Gears of War 2? Because that game was so busted including the multiplayer. Anyways didn't ND once stated UC2 MP wasn't their full vision? Maybe that's why the redid so many things? I always had a theory that aiming was purposely done bad just to validate certain mod addictions & booster choices & they over compensated with the aim assist to make up for it. I mean sniping in the Beta was pretty much like it was in UC2 then they changed everything for after.

I still think UC2 was used as the base for inspiration but things like sprint makes this less evident. I really actually like UC3 MP so I maybe i'm more forgiving but I think ND had great ideas, probably too ambitions, had they had more time I seriously think it would have been amazing. Also climbing with Monkey Man Gold is actually really fun the mechanic works flawlessly trumps the climbing in UC2 lol.

As for Kickbacks even though you said you didn't like the idea but I still think ND should have made it so Kickbacks could only be used one per match atleast in TDM it would have made such a difference. Also the idea of Kickbacks was good what ruined it was making power weapons defensive Kickbacks... I mean who actually thought the T-Bolt should have been a KB... they should have just thrown the SAS in the mix then as well -.- . Kickbacks like Speedy G, Creepy Crawler, Militia Man were tge way to go.

Message 11 of 194 (594 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
70 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

I've recently had a nostalgia rush and played a bit of U2 for old times' sake, and while it still has its magic appeal that captured me since the beginning, I have to say that right now U3 has a better MP.

U2 undoubtedly has better graphics (I blame U3's 3D support for that), more fluid movement, animations and that overwhelming feeling of slickness and seamlessness, but U3 simply has a lot more variety that makes it more... you know, fun.

U3 has HIGHER HEALTH, better objective mode, there's no game breaking glitches like U2's leprechaun glitch in plunder, it has better melee mechanics (yes, I actually mean that), grenades are no longer OP and you can return them, gameplay is more dynamic and the addition of loadouts is a welcome one IMO. That obviously made the game harder to balance than U2 where everyone started with an AK-47 and a 92FS, but it also brought more variety into the game.

I think that the last patch actually did a good job of balancing the game, especially the blindfire nerf. Now, with cover blindfire retaining its former effectiveness and less people running around blindfire meleeing the game can actually be played as a a cover based shotter it was (hopefully) always meant to be.

That being said, I don't like stat hats (I think their effect should've been only aesthetical),  they shouldn't've moved team safe to slot 1, and they shouldn't've made cluster and mega unreturnable. Power plays are also unnecessary, but I can understand why they are in the game and the last patch made them a bit more bearable. Kickbacks, aside from quick-boom which i despise from the bottom of my soul, are a fun addition and I have no problems with them since for competitive matches there's always custom mode and everything that doesn't belong can be switched off. Sure, leaderboards are messed up, but I don't really care for stats so it's irrelevant for me.

At the end of the day, I've played U2 for around 300h (mostly due to the infamous 1.05 , I kind of lost interest since it became COD like ''I see you, you drop dead'' shooter), and I've spent around 900h in U3 so that's saying something, at least for me.

EDIT: I forgot to say that i really liked U2's separate hitboxes, it made rolling and evasion a viable option and I'd certainly like to see that in future Uncharted titles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 12 of 194 (586 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

Everything (almost) down to the code, it would almost be easier your someone to name a feature from UC3 and for me to describe whats wrong with it.

It doesnt feel like Uncharted anymore, its like the game was forced to be something its not and it kinda wound up lost in translation (ever since the beta anyway).

everytime I play it I might have a few enjoyable games but then the game shows itself for what it is COD, Gears and Uncharted thrown into a blender.

What exactly doesn't make it feel like Uncharted?

UC2 & 3 are seperate games not direct sequels I think each should be judged on their own merits.

Well I'll Try.

Kickbacks - 

Sprint-

Customizations -

loadouts - 

Block Mesh Maps - 

Tournament Smiley Indifferent

Dynamic Intros & Random Dynamic Events On Certain Maps - 

Faster paced Gameplay - 

Split Screen - 

Legacy - 

These are just features of UC3 off the top of my head, not what I like about the game so you can give your opinion on them & list others while you're at it.

I had a big long post written up and there was an error when posting and i lost most of it. i was only able to reload a small part of it (i knew i should have copied it first) Smiley Sad so i dont feel like writting it up again right now but i will get on it. Im taking about Gameplay and Mechanics so costumization, Block Mesh Maps, tournament, split screen, legacy, Dynamic intros dont really apply

here is what i recovered.

The way it plays. UC3 is the second multiplayer Uncharted - you would expect a natural progression - to build on UC2's foundation like Gears 1, 2, 3 or Cod 4, 5, 6 etc., yet UC3 doesnt, UC3 starts from scratch (hench why simple things like shooting and climbing are worse) and also changed to appeal more to COD/Gears style gamers while sacrificing what gave Uncharted its identity, what made it stand out.

I wouldnt mind new things being added, but they should have used UC2 as the base and added to that and there wouldnt be as many issues.

Kickbacks

- They disrupt the play in UC3, it plays better without them.

- A poor copy of Killstreaks, they have just become "a crutch" as you would say. Matches have become a race to activate the power weapon kickback. Random medals that dont encourage any decent playstyle and that are given willy-nilly way going towards kickbacks - it doesnt work.

I dont know if kickbacks could ever work in a good manner, i wouldnt mind if there were none in UC4, but if they were to work the way in which they are awarded would need to be smarter. e.g. - only rewards (3 medal pick-up) from chests pick-ups go towards kickbacks (so it would be more like picking up power weapons) or another way would be - specific medals for playing a specific way would go towards a kickback that complements that playstyle (e.g. speedyG - sunday stroll, think and vertically and dizzy medals go towards it, Militia-man - need commando and gunslingers medals etc.) though this method might be too complicated.

See that's why I asked you to list exactly what you were referring to. Smiley Tongue

I have a question did you play Gears of War 2? Because that game was so busted including the multiplayer. Anyways didn't ND once stated UC2 MP wasn't their full vision? Maybe that's why the redid so many things? I always had a theory that aiming was purposely done bad just to validate certain mod addictions & booster choices & they over compensated with the aim assist to make up for it. I mean sniping in the Beta was pretty much like it was in UC2 then they changed everything for after.

I still think UC2 was used as the base for inspiration but things like sprint makes this less evident. I really actually like UC3 MP so I maybe i'm more forgiving but I think ND had great ideas, probably too ambitions, had they had more time I seriously think it would have been amazing. Also climbing with Monkey Man Gold is actually really fun the mechanic works flawlessly trumps the climbing in UC2 lol.

As for Kickbacks even though you said you didn't like the idea but I still think ND should have made it so Kickbacks could only be used one per match atleast in TDM it would have made such a difference. Also the idea of Kickbacks was good what ruined it was making power weapons defensive Kickbacks... I mean who actually thought the T-Bolt should have been a KB... they should have just thrown the SAS in the mix then as well -.- . Kickbacks like Speedy G, Creepy Crawler, Militia Man were tge way to go.

nope, never played any Gears LOL, but you can see that they naturally progressed from the same build like COD did, compared to UC3 which is seems like they built a whole new engine - Movement, climbing, jumping, shooting, cover, all completely different.

IMO UC2 was so good because it was just bare bones and not much time was spent at it. I believe ND also got help from well known MP developers like Halo so that helped.

ya monkey man is good but imo fast climbing is not much use when there is no leg hitboxes and you are getting shot from below,  i take the stairs in UC3 LOL.

Kickbacks - i just know they way they work in UC3 is not great and they need to work better if they are to be used in the future. I dont think they would be need to limit them to one per match if they were costed out properly and there werent such an abundance of medals you get just by luck alone. imo a limit would just mean that everyone would use the same most effective kickback and there would be no diversity, but i get where you are coming from - that currently there is way to many per match sometimes - people can get so many kickbacks per match when they are on killstreaks.

I think collecting medals(or money or gold, i.e. normal medals you get dont go towaeds kickbacks) from chests would be a good way to reach a kickback activation and it would also allow more control over how many kickbacks could be achieved per match (e.g. if there is only 5 chests and they only open once every 2 mins).

- Chests would be kinda like Power Weapon Placements them - in that if you want to activate your kickback you have to get to the chests first. This way the number of kickbacks you get wouldnt be infulenced by high KDR's and killstreaks (like it currently is), I think that is important so that not just the tryhards benefit. this is really the only I see Kickbacks working fairly

I think Powerplays are also important, though i know they dont work properly currently but i think they have to be in the game in some form when there is a big divide between teams, especially if there is kickbakcs.

I know you dont like powerplays but what would you think if they were only used once per match and it gave the losing team a boost of 50% extra health (9 bullets instead of 6 bullets of a Gmal) ?? you might not find it as unfair as there is no negative aplied directly to the winning team.

Say if a team is leading by 15 kills - then 50% extra health kicks in for the losing team. It might need to last 2 mins though to be make any difference.

From all the UC2 TDM ive played including bunch ive played lately it is evident that people on the loosing team quit very regurly when they are being well beaten and not having fun - e.g. 35-15, more often than not someone quits, then another and another. This is just fact and quit penalties dont stop it, there will always be quitters no matter what. But if you give them something that allows them to not be completely destroyed i.e. a Powerplay then they will enjoy the match a bit more and they will have more of a reason to keep playing and they are more likely not to quit.

Late join will always be needed, its a good feature even if people dont like joining late.

Message 13 of 194 (583 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Dec 29, 2013
i edited the Original Post just to make it clear exactly what im talking about.
Message 14 of 194 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14385 posts

Dec 29, 2013

mario_fox wrote:

I've recently had a nostalgia rush and played a bit of U2 for old times' sake, and while it still has its magic appeal that captured me since the beginning, I have to say that right now U3 has a better MP.

U2 undoubtedly has better graphics (I blame U3's 3D support for that), more fluid movement, animations and that overwhelming feeling of slickness and seamlessness, but U3 simply has a lot more variety that makes it more... you know, fun.

U3 has HIGHER HEALTH, better objective mode, there's no game breaking glitches like U2's leprechaun glitch in plunder, it has better melee mechanics (yes, I actually mean that), grenades are no longer OP and you can return them, gameplay is more dynamic and the addition of loadouts is a welcome one IMO. That obviously made the game harder to balance than U2 where everyone started with an AK-47 and a 92FS, but it also brought more variety into the game.

I think that the last patch actually did a good job of balancing the game, especially the blindfire nerf. Now, with cover blindfire retaining its former effectiveness and less people running around blindfire meleeing the game can actually be played as a a cover based shotter it was (hopefully) always meant to be.

That being said, I don't like stat hats (I think their effect should've been only aesthetical),  they shouldn't've moved team safe to slot 1, and they shouldn't've made cluster and mega unreturnable. Power plays are also unnecessary, but I can understand why they are in the game and the last patch made them a bit more bearable. Kickbacks, aside from quick-boom which i despise from the bottom of my soul, are a fun addition and I have no problems with them since for competitive matches there's always custom mode and everything that doesn't belong can be switched off. Sure, leaderboards are messed up, but I don't really care for stats so it's irrelevant for me.

At the end of the day, I've played U2 for around 300h (mostly due to the infamous 1.05 , I kind of lost interest since it became COD like ''I see you, you drop dead'' shooter), and I've spent around 900h in U3 so that's saying something, at least for me.

EDIT: I forgot to say that i really liked U2's separate hitboxes, it made rolling and evasion a viable option and I'd certainly like to see that in future Uncharted titles.

Yep. Even though the Uncharted 3 maps are bad. They offer something Uncharted 2 lacks. Variety. The whole list of modes available also offer that. Theres only so much Plunder, TDM, Elimination one can take out of Uncharted 2. All competitive doesn't count.. It's a mode consolidation playlist.

If Uncharted 3 had it's maps. and an Uncharted 2 feel and look to it then as far as multiplayer goes we wouldn't even need a new Uncharted game.

The start and pick up weapons thing vs loadouts. I prefer the Uncharted 2 way. However... Uncharted 3's AK is boarderline awful. Most people would be terrible at the game if they were stuck with the AK. Me included I think.

I'm still sprinting at people in cover though and taking them down Smiley Tongue I can't stop.. The game trained me to be a dirty player. It still works for me too.

Message 15 of 194 (575 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Dec 29, 2013
^^ UC2 got the core gameplay fundamentals right.
Message 16 of 194 (572 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14385 posts

Dec 29, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

Definately.

I'm hoping the new Uncharted takes a step backwards in gameplay from Uncharted 3 and adds more maps. No more DLC maps either.

Message 17 of 194 (570 Views)
Survivor
2689 posts

Dec 29, 2013
^^ they could add new maps incrementally throughout a period of time like Fort in UC2 and Dry Docks in UC3.
Message 18 of 194 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3423 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

@Blennerville 

Okay well with COD there was only so much they could drastically change but i'll say this if you go play COD Modern Warfare & then play Modern Warfare 2 it felt like two different games that's when all the killstreaks & all that stuff came in. UC2 was ND's first venture into online gaming maybe they weren't satisfied with UC2 & decided to go back to the drawing board. I think we should just view each game as a stand alone product really makes no sense to keep comparing them. 

They recieved help from Bungie for writing the netcode not for gameplay mechanics. Bungie is no Top Dog either for writing netcodes let me just say that Halo 3 was my fave Multiplayer game this gen but that netcode is a mess. 

Back on topic - I think kickbacks should be a one time thing in TDM it would improve the mode IMO. It can be unlimited in Objective based modes & removed from Elimination & FFA. It would add some form of actual value to kickbacks & make one use them more strategical. Just my two cents. I also like your medal / chests idea unfortunately if they took that approach most people on the losing team would never get a kickback. 

I understand the concept behind power plays, I simply hate how they were implemented. Expose I don't mind it's actually a good power play it can be tweaked so it can override the cloaked booster & I would be fine with that. I loathe Marked Man this is a classic case of 'punishing people who do well' it's disgusting & totally unfair in every way especially with the sh!tty spawn system & the fact the power play is broken doesn't help. Double Damage I don't care about I always just hide it out lol. 

Giving them extra health would be fine actually instead of giving them 2X damage. They could have implemented 'a Cursed' power play that only affects the winning team. 

And I don't mind late joins I simply hate how broken it is in UC3.

Message 19 of 194 (554 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3423 posts

Dec 29, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

Definately.

I'm hoping the new Uncharted takes a step backwards in gameplay from Uncharted 3 and adds more maps. No more DLC maps either.

there's around 22 Maps in UC3 do we really need more in than 22 in UC4? 

And DLC Maps are here to stay lets hope they go the way of Killzone & release them free & sell character items & Co-op Story add ons as it does cost money to make maps. 

Message 20 of 194 (549 Views)
0 Likes