Last Guardian
10262 posts

Re: UC3 is a dreadfully antisocial multiplayer game.

Oct 4, 2012

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Lobbies for conversations? I don't play to converse with people. I load up a game to play it. If I happen to end up in a conversation so be it, but that isn't an objective of mine.

My thoughts exactly. If I really wanted to talk to people so badly I'd go to an acutal chatroom/video conference/whatever.

Doesn't sound like either of you even know what gaming lobbies are or how they work on a social level. With good lobbies you could play more quickly and continuously than you can with this current match-making system. The current match-making system is designed for the antisocial. It reduces quality to ensure everyone gets a mediocre experience, while lobbies allowed some people to have much higher quality experiences. Unfortunately for the antisocial **bleep** it removed good people from being their victims, so they were unhappy about not being able to play so developers have forced good people to play with bad people (adjectives referring to attitudes, not skill).

I'd like an example of a "good" lobby then.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 11 of 38 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1136 posts

Oct 4, 2012

You're just now figuring out that U3 is antisocial? 

People always locking their parties like **bleep**holes give you any clue? Or ignoring the invites you sent them? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 12 of 38 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Lobbies for conversations? I don't play to converse with people. I load up a game to play it. If I happen to end up in a conversation so be it, but that isn't an objective of mine.

My thoughts exactly. If I really wanted to talk to people so badly I'd go to an acutal chatroom/video conference/whatever.

Doesn't sound like either of you even know what gaming lobbies are or how they work on a social level. With good lobbies you could play more quickly and continuously than you can with this current match-making system. The current match-making system is designed for the antisocial. It reduces quality to ensure everyone gets a mediocre experience, while lobbies allowed some people to have much higher quality experiences. Unfortunately for the antisocial **bleep** it removed good people from being their victims, so they were unhappy about not being able to play so developers have forced good people to play with bad people (adjectives referring to attitudes, not skill).

I'm aware of lobbies, I'm aware of how they work, just maybe not socially as I would always join a game to play it, lobby or not.

If I'm honest socializing while playing seriously distracts me from playing the game.

Message 13 of 38 (331 Views)
Sackboy
550 posts

Oct 4, 2012

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I'd like an example of a "good" lobby then.

- Person starts hosting a room.
- Names room something and puts down a small description.

- A good host starts to get a following.

- Start seeing same players or other similar types of players joining, who speak the same language and can communicate.

- Host keeps teams random so you end up playing with or against those "regulars" (a term that pops up often, because people start forming friendships).

- New players are able to join quite often, because the room is viewable by everyone in the lobby.

- Rooms have host ratings so good hosts get good reputations.

- Rooms usually have a vote to kick system or a host only kick: we used to kick "randoms" (as opposed to "regulars") who were @sses, who lagged or glitched, etc; which meant that the players there were quality players who you would play against or play side-by-side with.

- Many regulars would end up being inthe same clans or get invites to tournament modes, etc.

- Hosts could mix up maps much more evenly than Naughty Dog.

- Hosts could mix up modes.

- Hosts could create modes like the Lab whenever they liked. Pistols only plunder, easy. Rockets only, easy. Anything whenever they wanted.

- Eventually the room is popular eough that host gets messages to put up a password so when a random leaves, a friend can get in.

- Perhaps on Monday nights the host permanently puts up a password and has a friend only night.

- Often such rooms have level ranges so only similar skilled players can enter, meaning that there are no newbs, nor any elite pros. Games are random teams and much more evenly matched, making battles long and hard.

- Usually rooms are only open at certain times of the day so you end up meeting and playing with people from similar timezones.

- Essentially such rooms allowed players to get to know one another and form meaningful clans and meaningful clans are required for true communication and team work.

- But then again I guess UC3 was designed to only be played for a dozen or so hours for one to complete it and move on to another online game, so it doesn't need anything to support the creation of good clans.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 38 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
550 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Aureilia wrote:

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I'm aware of lobbies, I'm aware of how they work, just maybe not socially as I would always join a game to play it, lobby or not.

If I'm honest socializing while playing seriously distracts me from playing the game.

Socializing does not mean just talking. That is a very limited meaning.

Let me define being social with a dictionary and tied to the gaming world:

1. gaming or preferring to game in a community or on a team rather than alone.

2. of or relating to teams, clans, or co-operative gaming.

3 of the way players play and game together in groups.

etc

Photobucket
Message 15 of 38 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Socializing does not mean just talking. That is a very limited meaning.

Let me define being social with a dictionary and tied to the gaming world:

1. gaming or preferring to game in a community or on a team rather than alone.

2. of or relating to teams, clans, or co-operative gaming.

3 of the way players play and game together in groups.

etc

The way you put it across was in language barriers, so in your contextual sense yes, socializing did stand for conversation.

Key Quote: 1)      First the matchmaking is world wide and puts players together who don’t understand each other most of the time, even if they do happen to have mics. I miss being locked into Region 1 where knowing three languages was enough.

Message 16 of 38 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
567 posts

Oct 4, 2012
It's so dumb to be blaming the game on being antisocial. I always get into chat with ppl or use a mic at times. Its not the game, but rather the person with nad social skills. I've met some really cool ppl online and always go into chat with them, it makes playing uncharted a blast.
Message 17 of 38 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3984 posts

Oct 4, 2012
I agree with the op for the most part but the title is untrue. I've met quite a few good friends on U3 and U2. Yeah there are a lot of foul mouthed antagonists who just try to **bleep** people off. But that's what mute and/or quit match options are for. CoD still holds the crown for antisocial behavior in an online shooter lobby.

The clan tag thing is basically the same as a lot of other shooters. Make up a 4 character name/acronym and invite friends. Play private clan matches for bragging rights. Or join an outside clan system like fraggednation or mlg. KZ3 has a better clan sytem. It lets you do clan battles that actually get counted by the game developer and listed on a leaderboard for all to see in game, not on a separate website.

I love Uncharted 3. Just wish it had a regional matchmaking filter.
Message 18 of 38 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I remember from a while back, one of the Dogs mentioned in a promo video that people could join their friend's games in competitive if there weren't 10 players to either join the fight or lead the resistance. I thought that feature would be one of many to make the game more streamlined, like the ideas mentioned in the OP. Maybe the Dogs had things like that planned, but scrapped them from release due to rushing the game.

I hope they will take all the time they need with TLoU and UC4 to make them the best experience(s) possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Message 19 of 38 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3984 posts

Oct 5, 2012
Somy sets the timetable. 1 game every year.
Message 20 of 38 (181 Views)
0 Likes