Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: April Edition **

Apr 16, 2013

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

Probably true, but kind of lame... just sayin'. :smileywink:

Eh, the more I think about it this afternoon, the more it's kind of a lame question -- it would be unfair to call out one person given that it's the collective voices of everybody -- on here, other forums, twitter, FB, blog comments, etc. -- where the good ideas come from. Calling out one person would do a disservice to other opinions, and I wouldn't want to discourage someone from giving their opinion of any kind because they weren't recognized.  That would be a bummer :smileysad:

I have a question, so how often do you & the other guys check the forums ? :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 131 of 147 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2841 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

Eh, the more I think about it this afternoon, the more it's kind of a lame question -- it would be unfair to call out one person given that it's the collective voices of everybody -- on here, other forums, twitter, FB, blog comments, etc. -- where the good ideas come from. Calling out one person would do a disservice to other opinions, and I wouldn't want to discourage someone from giving their opinion of any kind because they weren't recognized.  That would be a bummer :smileysad:

I have a question, so how often do you & the other guys check the forums ? :smileytongue:

answer from Naughty Dog: please ask again in next q and a :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 132 of 147 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

answer from Naughty Dog: please ask again in next q and a :smileyhappy:

lol & knowing ND they would answer it to avoid answering a technical question :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Message 133 of 147 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1718 posts

Apr 17, 2013

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

OK, saying you don't want to call anyone out for fear of discouraging others is a totally fair reason. Thanks for the honest answer ND :smileyhappy:.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Please use plain text.
Message 134 of 147 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9878 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Matthewsike1st wrote:

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

OK, saying you don't want to call anyone out for fear of discouraging others is a totally fair reason. Thanks for the honest answer ND :smileyhappy:.

I don't think they should pick peeps to work for them based on posts anyway.

That's like... not something a business does at all.

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 135 of 147 (326 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
393 posts

Re: UPDATED** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: April Edition **

Apr 17, 2013

4-      "Would you guys consider altering Shade Survival treasure drop odds to be the same as Hunter Arena?" - IVIaster_ZED

A: We will be having rare treasure drop weekends that address these concerns from time to time. Also Shade Survival mode is a hardcore mode so it’s meant to be a good challenge.

The full question for anyone that may have forgotten (post is on the first page):

IVIaster_ZED wrote:

Q: Would you guys consider altering Shade Survival treasure drop odds to be the same as Hunter Arena?

For clarity's sake:

I'm not talking about the rate at which pickups drop from enemies, I'm talking about the odds of a particular treasure in any given set dropping.  In Arena and Shade Survival, you usually see the first and middle treasures in any given set when a treasure is picked up, while the odds for the last treasure in a set to appear are terribly rare, to the point that Co-op treasure weekends are virtually useless to players seeking to earn the Collector and Hoarder trophies in these two modes.

In Hunter, that last treasure is MUCH more common; you probably get a final treasure somewhere around 30-40% of the time when something drops from an enemy before taking the effects of a treasure weekend into account.  OTOH, many Co-op players dislike/hate that mode, and won't touch it for various reasons even though they know full well Hunter is practically their only hope.

If Shade Survival's drop odds are changed to be the same as Hunter's, many of these people would finally have a shot at those two trophies, particularly those who hate competing against other players to begin with.  You guys would also potentially make more money off of it since Shade Survival is DLC.  I don't see how this isn't a win/win since Hunter probably doesn't generate any revenue.

I guess this was too much to read or something.  I don't know why my question was used without the clarification though; the question by itself is completely pointless without context, as evidenced by ND's response.  It would have been better off ignored then cut down like this.  I feel like all I did was screw someone out of getting their question answered. :\

Please use plain text.
Message 136 of 147 (322 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1718 posts

Apr 17, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:

Matthewsike1st wrote:

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

I don't think they should pick peeps to work for them based on posts anyway.

That's like... not something a business does at all.

Yeah, that's a valid point, but I just saw it as something "light-hearted", not that the person would actually work for them, just a question that's out of pure curiosity. Nothing official or serious.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Please use plain text.
Message 137 of 147 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4568 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

arne wrote:

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

"If you had to pick a forum member to work for ND who would it be?" - munnsy1

A: It’s really tough to say without knowing what kind of development experience and work each member would be capable of. We give a pretty extensive and specific-to-a-discipline test prior to hiring everyone who works here. We expect our employees to perform at a very high caliber to make our games the best possible quality at all times. Open constructive criticism and heavy collaboration is very much encouraged here so we’d look for these attributes as well.  Read our HR blog about how to get a job at ND!

Man, I was SURE they were gonna say this. I mean come on, it's not a question of who has the proper qualification, just of who brings up the best ideas. Looks like ND just doesn't check out this place at all :smileysad:.

EVERYBODY that gets hired at Naughty Dog takes a test against the position they are trying to be hired for to determine their skills and experience, along with other "intangibles."  It's a really tough process and we're looking for people who have demonstrated the capacity to be collaborative AND also be able to work on their own without much (or any) guidance and still achieve the best work they are capable.

It's not joke.

Also just about everybody here has many years of experience before being hired. Those that didn't were contractors or simply *that* exceptional.

So - we don't want to gloss over how tough it is to get a position here and get people's hopes up disingenuously. 

Eric-ND wrote:

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

A: It’s really tough to say without knowing what kind of development experience and work each member would be capable of. We give a pretty extensive and specific-to-a-discipline test prior to hiring everyone who works here. We expect our employees to perform at a very high caliber to make our games the best possible quality at all times. Open constructive criticism and heavy collaboration is very much encouraged here so we’d look for these attributes as well.  Read our HR blog about how to get a job at ND!

Man, I was SURE they were gonna say this. I mean come on, it's not a question of who has the proper qualification, just of who brings up the best ideas. Looks like ND just doesn't check out this place at all :smileysad:.

We wouldn't call out who we think could work for us based on forums posts alone. That would be a neglient business practice. 

arne wrote:

stayFROST-E wrote:

This is the best thing you could've done Eric and arne. Thank you for doing what you did.
I was hoping you would answer this way or ignore the question, because it's not a small joking kind of thing; If you had actually chosen someone a lot of people would get offended.

Good Job Guys ^_^

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Please use plain text.
Message 138 of 147 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4820 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

Nice to have a question I asked, get an answer. I'll look forward to "best of lab"

SweetPoison13 wrote:

This answer as well as the additional answers provided in the thread are great. It's not only professional but also considerate for everyone here on the forum. Good on you guys for not playing favourites among forumers and for letting us know abit on how you hire potential employees.

Please use plain text.
Message 139 of 147 (287 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
211 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

Eric or Arne: Why was Nolan North in the Naughtydog studio in the TLOU development video? It's worth a try.

Please use plain text.
Message 140 of 147 (259 Views)
0 Likes