Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1719 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: April Edition **

Apr 16, 2013

Trawnza wrote:

"If you had to pick a forum member to work for ND who would it be?" - munnsy1

A: It’s really tough to say without knowing what kind of development experience and work each member would be capable of. We give a pretty extensive and specific-to-a-discipline test prior to hiring everyone who works here. We expect our employees to perform at a very high caliber to make our games the best possible quality at all times. Open constructive criticism and heavy collaboration is very much encouraged here so we’d look for these attributes as well.  Read our HR blog about how to get a job at ND!

Man, I was SURE they were gonna say this. I mean come on, it's not a question of who has the proper qualification, just of who brings up the best ideas. Looks like ND just doesn't check out this place at all :smileysad:.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Message 121 of 147 (571 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2178 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2013

I knew my question would get ignored, abit ironic isn't it?

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Message 122 of 147 (530 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
541 posts

Re: UPDATED** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: April Edition **

Apr 16, 2013

Some interesting answers, for a change, instead of the typical Soon™, We-Don't-Have-The-Resources™, Can't-Touch-the-Code™... Still, I can't believe they said party splits were difficult to reproduce. If you play for about an hour in a party, I guarantee you'll get split. Sometimes you'll even be sent to different matches :smileyindifferent:

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 123 of 147 (481 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

A: It’s really tough to say without knowing what kind of development experience and work each member would be capable of. We give a pretty extensive and specific-to-a-discipline test prior to hiring everyone who works here. We expect our employees to perform at a very high caliber to make our games the best possible quality at all times. Open constructive criticism and heavy collaboration is very much encouraged here so we’d look for these attributes as well.  Read our HR blog about how to get a job at ND!

Man, I was SURE they were gonna say this. I mean come on, it's not a question of who has the proper qualification, just of who brings up the best ideas. Looks like ND just doesn't check out this place at all :smileysad:.

EVERYBODY that gets hired at Naughty Dog takes a test against the position they are trying to be hired for to determine their skills and experience, along with other "intangibles."  It's a really tough process and we're looking for people who have demonstrated the capacity to be collaborative AND also be able to work on their own without much (or any) guidance and still achieve the best work they are capable.

It's not joke.

Also just about everybody here has many years of experience before being hired. Those that didn't were contractors or simply *that* exceptional.

So - we don't want to gloss over how tough it is to get a position here and get people's hopes up disingenuously. 

Message 124 of 147 (472 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Everything about the matchmaking is just bad and somehow it almost always manages to create the most unbalanced teams possible. Late joins are also a joke and I often get thrown into matches where there are only seconds left of the match (sometimes I don't even get to spawn). The funny thing about this is that I've lost some TO matches lately because no one late joined when people left my team, and it really sucks to play 3 vs 5 in Turf War and King of the Hill.

Message 125 of 147 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1719 posts

Apr 16, 2013

arne wrote:

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

EVERYBODY that gets hired at Naughty Dog takes a test against the position they are trying to be hired for to determine their skills and experience, along with other "intangibles."  It's a really tough process and we're looking for people who have demonstrated the capacity to be collaborative AND also be able to work on their own without much (or any) guidance and still achieve the best work they are capable.

It's not joke.

Also just about everybody here has many years of experience before being hired. Those that didn't were contractors or simply *that* exceptional.

So - we don't want to gloss over how tough it is to get a position here and get people's hopes up disingenuously. 

I appreciate the response and I guess I didn't convey my idea as clearly as I should've. Here's what I meant:

Of course you can't just get hired without any qualification, but as for the question of "who would you hire from the forum members", I think it was more of a "Who do you think has had good ideas/topics, and do you think having that person on board the MP team simply from what you've seen them post here  would positively benefit the game?"

Again, thanks for the response, hope this clears up what I meant.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Message 126 of 147 (452 Views)
Naughty Dog Developer
591 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

We wouldn't call out who we think could work for us based on forums posts alone. That would be a neglient business practice. 

Message 127 of 147 (431 Views)
Wastelander
698 posts

Apr 16, 2013

1-      Question: Can you please nerf hipfire and remove the whack and roll glitch in this game, isn't 140+ kudo's enough to make you realise that this really should happen, I know it's probably too late now because you ignored it for so long, so if the answer is no, can you please say that you will look into it for future Naughty Dog titles with competitive multiplayer?" - Matthijs_17

A: Due to game mechanics and animation – the whack and roll is a legitimate strategy that we accounted for when wrapping up game balance and MP development. As for hipfire, we appreciate you rallying support around this topic. It is something we will need some time to look at as it’s not a quick fix. To address anything with hipfire we’d need to tweak hipfire for every weapon in the game so proper balance occurs again. It will take some time and likely will be something we’ll have to look more closely at for future projects. However, it’s on the list of things we’d like to address time and resource permitting

Thank's ND for addressing this issue and I'm super happy that your looking at it "more closely for future projects" (**cough** Uncharted 4 **cough** :smileyhappy:). I still have hope for UC3, though. We (well, maybe just I) don't want to murder blindfire as a mechanic, but just discourage using it as an offensive technique (10ish% nerf would be great :smileyhappy:, except on the KAL-7 and the micro leave them the way they are). I'm proud of you guys for addressing this issue though, it shows a lot of promise for the future of your company and future games. Keep it up! 

5-      Can you tweak the turn radius for sprinting to near the level of summer beta's? Along with some explanation for your response?" - B_Smiley

A: At this point we’d never want to revert back to our beta settings. It would mean undergoing a system wide rebalancing effort with all of the updates we’ve made so far. We can move only move forward based upon where the game stands now, and changing the turn spring turn radius is not something we have planned. We built Uncharted 3 MP to be a fast paced game. We’re happy with how the turning and movement is paced.

:smileysad: But okay, I can respect that decision even if I don't really like it. We don't want this to become Killzone after all. :smileywink:

10-   "Are you ever going to fix the bug where everything unlockable gets highlighted randomly? It's pretty annoying to see that exclamation mark everywhere." - tln_SWE

A: Very uncommon for this to happen and this is something we’d need an exact reproduction case – step-by-step details - of how it happened to address in a meaningful way. 

"Very uncommon?" This happens to me every single time I load up the multiplayer. Maybe you just mean it doesn't happen to that many people, but it always happens to me.  Well, to help you guys out I'll tell you how it effects me. Whenever I get onto the multiplayer, everything on the "profile" screen is exclamationed (Is that a word?!?!?!!? :smileytongue:). After I complete any game it goes away. If I quit a game prematurely the exclamation will still be there. I'll try to pay more attention to the specifics from now on though to help address this problem. 

I'm fairly happy with the answers this month. They say they are willing to address blindfire and hint at UC4 (either that or TLoU, but don't ruin my delusion :smileytongue:). That's a good month in my book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Message 128 of 147 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Eric-ND wrote:

Matthewsike1st wrote:

Trawnza wrote:

We wouldn't call out who we think could work for us based on forums posts alone. That would be a neglient business practice. 

Probably true, but kind of lame... just sayin'. :smileywink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Message 129 of 147 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1660 posts

Apr 16, 2013

stayFROST-E wrote:

Probably true, but kind of lame... just sayin'. :smileywink:

Eh, the more I think about it this afternoon, the more it's kind of a lame question -- it would be unfair to call out one person given that it's the collective voices of everybody -- on here, other forums, twitter, FB, blog comments, etc. -- where the good ideas come from. Calling out one person would do a disservice to other opinions, and I wouldn't want to discourage someone from giving their opinion of any kind because they weren't recognized.  That would be a bummer :smileysad:

Message 130 of 147 (379 Views)