Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

Re: **Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: March Edition**

Mar 5, 2013

I'm under the impression, based on your replies on certain topics, that patching things and adding new components to a multiplayer are both very difficult and time consuming. Will it be easier to do these types of things on the PS4? There seems to be an emphasise on the PS4 being more developer-friendly.

Message 81 of 145 (423 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 5, 2013

Huskers1598 wrote:

I'm under the impression, based on your replies on certain topics, that patching things and adding new components to a multiplayer are both very difficult and time consuming. Will it be easier to do these types of things on the PS4? There seems to be an emphasise on the PS4 being more developer-friendly.

I don't think that they need to program the Cell SPUs to reduce the blindfire accuracy (just an example, but you get my point). Adding and patching things has more to do with the quality/structure of your source code (i.e. spaghetti code + zero comments = hell) and their willingness (I don't think that Cog wants to nerf blindfire).

Either way, 1st party devs have no problem with the Cell (ICE Team is part of ND after all). They changed the PS4 architecture to accommodate 3rd party devs mainly...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 82 of 145 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Huskers1598 wrote:

I don't think that they need to program the Cell SPUs to reduce the blindfire accuracy (just an example, but you get my point). Adding and patching things has more to do with the quality/structure of your source code (i.e. spaghetti code + zero comments = hell) and their willingness (I don't think that Cog wants to nerf blindfire).

Either way, 1st party devs have no problem with the Cell (ICE Team is part of ND after all). They changed the PS4 architecture to accommodate 3rd party devs mainly...

Are you sure there's no chance at all? I was talking specifically about technical fixes, not game balancing. That makes sense that the PS4 will help 3rd party devs more than 1st, but couldn't it help 1st party devs somehow also? 

Message 83 of 145 (396 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Huskers1598 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Huskers1598 wrote:

Are you sure there's no chance at all? I was talking specifically about technical fixes, not game balancing. That makes sense that the PS4 will help 3rd party devs more than 1st, but couldn't it help 1st party devs somehow also? 

ICE Team is a specialized team that programs low-level assembly code for code sections that need maximum performance (i.e. graphics, physics, antialiasing). They are highly skilled programmers and they are not afraid of the Cell architecture.

I bet most people here (even diehard fanboys) won't even know what I'm talking about, but yeah, ND has some elite programmers that also code for other 1st party games (like GOW:A).

What makes you think that they need to tinker with low-level code to fix party splits or dead body glitch (since you mentioned technical fixes) for example? Netcode is usually written in high-level languages (C/C++).

The problem is that they have a two-man team. Wanna know what it takes to fix party splits? They need 5 dev kits (special PS3 consoles for development purposes) and 5 QA testers to play online matches for a few hours. Dev kits allow you to see the exact debug output and figure out what goes wrong with the code. You are guaranteed to get a party split after 3-4 consecutive matches without backing out.

So no, I don't think that it has anything to do with the system architecture. Cell or x86 is irrelevant when you have such a small team.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 84 of 145 (368 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
216 posts

Mar 6, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

What makes you think that they need to tinker with low-level code to fix party splits or dead body glitch (since you mentioned technical fixes) for example? Netcode is usually written in high-level languages (C/C++).

I never said that. I don't know anything about the technical details, I was just wondering if the PS4 would help developers get more patches out faster and easier because that would be awesome if it did. Thanks for your input.

Message 85 of 145 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 6, 2013

If the PS4 has less bureaucracy (Sony needs to test, approve and sign off every Title Update), that would be cool, but still, this has nothing to do with the hardware architecture.

Also, I remember that it only took them 1 day to release TU 1.01 for the Summer beta, but on the other hand it took them 4+ months to release TU 1.17 for the retail game. It's obvious that they had a bigger UC3 team back then.

It's sad that a beta (unfinished product & free of charge) can have better support than the retail game...

Message 86 of 145 (340 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Mar 6, 2013

The members of the Fortune Hunters' Club were promised the 4 map packs, are we ever going to get that fourth map pack ?

Message 87 of 145 (312 Views)
Naughty Paw
20320 posts

Mar 6, 2013

samcrossette wrote:

The members of the Fortune Hunters' Club were promised the 4 map packs, are we ever going to get that fourth map pack ?

The 4th "pack" was Fort Adventure.

Message 88 of 145 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

samcrossette wrote:

The 4th "pack" was Fort Adventure.

Even though it was the biggest scam by Naughty Dog, which will prompt many (like myself) never to buy their season pass again. Good job ND.

Message 89 of 145 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Can you have community management give us back our forum tag ability? Smiley Wink

:smileylol:

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 90 of 145 (259 Views)
0 Likes