Sep 16 2012
By: DoomBringer232 Sackboy 460 posts

Uncharted 3- Not As Original As You Think

[ Edited ]
38 replies 591 views Edited Sep 16, 2012

A recent thread has reminded me how much Uncharted has copied from other games, right down to the main menu. Don't get me wrong, I love Uncharted, but is that hard to be original?

Main Menu- copy of MW2 and MW3 main menus

Medal Kickbacks- it's not hard to tell that COD killstreaks were in mind when this feature was created

Sprinting- copied off of a lot of other games, although it is the most similar to the sprinting system in Star Wars Battlefront 2. I liked it better in UC2 when there was no sprinting. It was one of many things Uncharted 2 did differently

Grenade Throwbacks- copied off the COD grenade system. And I know this because who can throw back a grenade in real life?

Weapon Mods- ND went overboard and even copied some of the mods themselves (rate of fire, clip size) I know some of you are saying "But weapon mods were in UC2 CoOp". Yes they were, and UC3 would've been fine and original without them in Competitive.

Hitmarkers- I remember in UC2 when the recitle turned red whenever we hit someone. Now we get the generic little lines that appear in almost all games now.

Buddy System- does the Squad System from BF3 ring a bell?

Loadouts- this one's not hard to tell, is it? Because loadouts that are featured in every game are mroe original than fighting over key weapons that only appeared in UC2 as far as I know of

I know a lot of you are saying "You don't work at ND, how do you know these ideas were copied?"  And some of these things make the game better, sprinting being an example. Remember, these are just things that are in Uncharted 3 that appeared in other games that were released at an earlier date.

Message 1 of 39 (591 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: Uncharted 3- Not As Original As You Think

Sep 16, 2012
Sprinting I guarantee you they got from Star Wars: Battlefront 2....
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Message 2 of 39 (587 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012

SHUT_UP_FOOLS wrote:
Sprinting I guarantee you they got from Star Wars: Battlefront 2....

Completly forgot about that game, don't know how I did because I loved it.

Message 3 of 39 (582 Views)
Survivor
2178 posts

Sep 16, 2012
I think there intentions were to make gameplay dynamic, and capture the attention of fps fans. You got me at the main menu one. Exactly like Modern Warfare 2 and 3, except for the order. Sprinting, Hitmarkers, grenade throwbacks, mods, and load outs are very common in the shooter market, so I wouldn't call them copying. CODifying yes. But that's because ND wanted to entice Call of Duty gamers to get more sales. And, they needed to do something. More people would be complaining if they truly copied Call of Duty, by not changing anything with Uncharted 2.

Message 4 of 39 (575 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012

jjjkur wrote:
I think there intentions were to make gameplay dynamic, and capture the attention of fps fans. You got me at the main menu one. Exactly like Modern Warfare 2 and 3, except for the order. Sprinting, Hitmarkers, grenade throwbacks, mods, and load outs are very common in the shooter market, so I wouldn't call them copying. CODifying yes. But that's because ND wanted to entice Call of Duty gamers to get more sales. And, they needed to do something. More people would be complaining if they truly copied Call of Duty, by not changing anything with Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 2 was original though, changing a few things inbetween UC2 and 3 would've been fine, but instead Uncharted got "codifyed".

Message 5 of 39 (571 Views)
Gaming Beast
1839 posts

Sep 16, 2012

There are just way too many shooters these days. It's the ruling genre, of course companies are going to copy and improve each others ideas. Personally I can't think of many original shooters from this gen it's just copy/paste work to me. Especially at FPS games those look all the same lol. I hope the next-gen of games companies are trying to be a bit more innovative instead of releasing the same old games over again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 6 of 39 (556 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 16, 2012

Joe-Itz070 wrote:

There are just way too many shooters these days. It's the ruling genre, of course companies are going to copy and improve each others ideas. Personally I can't think of many original shooters from this gen it's just copy/paste work to me. Especially at FPS games those look all the same lol. I hope the next-gen of games companies are trying to be a bit more innovative instead of releasing the same old games over again.

Starhawk and Transformers are about the only innovative shooters in a while. BF3 looked innovative at first, but deep down it had the same mechanics as everthing else. I've benn made fun of for playing LBP because it's a "little kids game" (it's not), but I play it because it has what most other games, including UC3, don't have. Innovation.

Whoa, I got off topic fast in that mini speech. Back on topic: your signature made me lol.

Message 7 of 39 (544 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6183 posts

Sep 16, 2012

I can understand some of these. But most of them are staples in the regular shooter game, it will be weird to not have it.

I mean how can they make sprinting "original" in their game in the first place? It is as basic as it gets, you can run faster for a short time, then you need to rest a bit before doing it again.

grenade throwbacks are either in shooter games or not. They decided to put them in UC3.

hitmarkers, idk how you can copy this since its in virtually any shooter game with a HUD.

loadouts are common and useful in shooter games. I know UC2 didn't have it, but thats because you couldn't choose different guns to start with, whether that is a good/bad idea is up to the player.

mods/boosters are also common. They are usually done differently in games and UC2 technically had them to, only there wasn't much emphasis and a level system for them.

I mean there is "copying" games and then there is putting in the common staples of that genre in the game. That is like saying "this game uses guns to shoot, thats so unoriginal cuz this game did it first"

photo Sniper.png
Message 8 of 39 (535 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012

sanddude20 wrote:

I mean there is "copying" games and then there is putting in the common staples of that genre in the game. That is like saying "this game uses guns to shoot, thats so unoriginal cuz this game did it first"

Holy cow, thanks for reminding me about that one. I'm adding it to the list.

Lol but seriously, I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to say UC3 could've borrowed ideas from other games and changed them and it would be as good or better. For example about the hit markers, UC2 had them but they were different. The rectile turned red when you landed a bullet. Now we have little lines.

Red rectile = borrowed but unique

Little lines = borrowed and not unique 

Message 9 of 39 (520 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6183 posts

Sep 16, 2012

DoomBringer232 wrote:

sanddude20 wrote:

Holy cow, thanks for reminding me about that one. I'm adding it to the list.

Lol but seriously, I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to say UC3 could've borrowed ideas from other games and changed them and it would be as good or better. For example about the hit markers, UC2 had them but they were different. The rectile turned red when you landed a bullet. Now we have little lines.

Red rectile = borrowed but unique

Little lines = borrowed and not unique 

I can understand that. I think there are some games that actually let you customize your reticle. Not like most people know what it looks like as all they see most of the time are these hit markers "(    )" since thats the one you see when blindfiring.

One unique thing that uncharted has that no other shooter does is that it has mixed in platforming elements, which is one of my favorite things of this game.

photo Sniper.png
Message 10 of 39 (503 Views)
0 Likes