Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Feb 28 2013
By: Nanashi707 Sackboy 499 posts
Offline

Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

15 replies 208 views Edited Feb 28, 2013

I'm only writing this because it's not a top priority issue (though it should be) and thus it can get swept aside/forgotten.

 

Here are my issues (feel free to add more) :

 

 

Triangle = pick up weapon/etc. AND throw back grenade

Circle = roll AND take cover

X = jump AND taunt

 

 

These functions interfere with one another on a REGULAR BASIS and cause for a poor gameplay experience.
It's probably too late for a change now, but please take these complications into consideration for Uncharted 4's MP.

Cutter
Message 1 of 16 (208 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
996 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013

Nanashi707 wrote:

I'm only writing this because it's not a top priority issue (though it should be) and thus it can get swept aside/forgotten.

 

Here are my issues (feel free to add more) :

 

 

Triangle = pick up weapon/etc. AND throw back grenade

Circle = roll AND take cover

X = jump AND taunt

 

 

These functions interfere with one another on a REGULAR BASIS and cause for a poor gameplay experience.
It's probably too late for a change now, but please take these complications into consideration for Uncharted 4's MP.


The PS4 controller has a touch pad. Maybe more buttons? Or a geasture? Like my MacBook does on it's trackpad. I don't see a problem with it, but I guess I'm just used to it. What do you suggest re mapping it to?

Message 2 of 16 (203 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2012
Online
2433 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013
Yes I agree, that 'O' button has gotten me killed so many times, nothing is more frustrating than trying to roll & instead you get stuck to a wall, or object & no matter how you try to get away it's like there's magnet pulling you back to the wall lol.
Message 3 of 16 (201 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 01/24/2012
Offline
499 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

Nanashi707 wrote:

I'm only writing this because it's not a top priority issue (though it should be) and thus it can get swept aside/forgotten.

 

Here are my issues (feel free to add more) :

 

 

Triangle = pick up weapon/etc. AND throw back grenade

Circle = roll AND take cover

X = jump AND taunt

 

 

These functions interfere with one another on a REGULAR BASIS and cause for a poor gameplay experience.
It's probably too late for a change now, but please take these complications into consideration for Uncharted 4's MP.


The PS4 controller has a touch pad. Maybe more buttons? Or a geasture? Like my MacBook does on it's trackpad. I don't see a problem with it, but I guess I'm just used to it. What do you suggest re mapping it to?


That's the thing, I honestly have no idea lmao. Any type of remapping would require lots of testing anyway. But there must be away, and yes I was also thinking about the touch pad. Maybe the final version will have an L4 and R4 button? WHo knows


wycliff_12 wrote:
Yes I agree, that 'O' button has gotten me killed so many times, nothing is more frustrating than trying to roll & instead you get stuck to a wall, or object & no matter how you try to get away it's like there's magnet pulling you back to the wall lol.

 That's exactly what happened to me thirty minutes ago and why I posted this thread xD

Cutter
Message 4 of 16 (195 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/17/2010
Offline
1109 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:
Yes I agree, that 'O' button has gotten me killed so many times, nothing is more frustrating than trying to roll & instead you get stuck to a wall, or object & no matter how you try to get away it's like there's magnet pulling you back to the wall lol.

The circle button is fine...   I can roll and go to to cover, problem with cover was that your head would stick up unlike Uncharted 2.

 

 

The Triangle button is what should be addressed, picking up weapons instead of grenades is what kills me. 

Message 5 of 16 (194 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2012
Online
2433 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013
^^^ I'm not complaining about the 'O' & the use of it in the game I'm just contributing an opinion to the topic at hand :smileyhappy:

And same here I can't list how many times I've picked up a gun I didn't want by accident & not realizing until in the heat of battle causing me to get my arse handed to me.
Message 6 of 16 (176 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4568 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013
I agree 100% Nanashi :smileyhappy:

I just can't think of a solution though :smileysad:

Taunting is something that can go on the touchpad to free up the jump button though :smileyhappy:


* on a side note
I was playing Saints Row 3 earlier today and Triangle is used to get into cars AND ALSO to grab human shields.
Because of this mapping I just kept throwing enemies instead of getting into my car so I died :'(

I guess it hard to map out all the different controls onto a controller that only has a certain number of buttons. And adding more buttons to the controller would just make it too difficult to play since the controller would be crowded and we only have 2 hands :smileytongue:

SLB.png


Hi-5.png

Message 7 of 16 (172 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/24/2012
Offline
499 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

shadowlibraboy wrote:
Taunting is something that can go on the touchpad to free up the jump button though :smileyhappy:

Or they could go the Fighting game route and make it multiple buttons at once; for instance, Street Fighter III: Third Strike    taunt = L1 + L2. Funny thing there is that it's not needed, there are plenty of spare buttons in fighting games!

Cutter
Message 8 of 16 (167 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/11/2011
Offline
4568 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013
^lmao so true about the spare buttons :smileytongue:

Good idea, I never thought about that :smileyhappy:

*You also just have me the idea to make a few YouTube videos about my LBP2 levels that I never got to polish (The controller mapping reminded me about the LBP2 Controller Mapping tool thingy :smileywink: )

SLB.png


Hi-5.png

Message 9 of 16 (160 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 08/04/2011
Offline
2668 posts
 

Re: Uncharted 4: Better Button Mapping!

Feb 28, 2013

Nanashi707 wrote:

I'm only writing this because it's not a top priority issue (though it should be) and thus it can get swept aside/forgotten.

 

Here are my issues (feel free to add more) :

 

 

Triangle = pick up weapon/etc. AND throw back grenade

Circle = roll AND take cover

X = jump AND taunt

 

 

These functions interfere with one another on a REGULAR BASIS and cause for a poor gameplay experience.
It's probably too late for a change now, but please take these complications into consideration for Uncharted 4's MP.


yes!!!

 

cover and roll need to be different buttons as discussed with ND long ago,

 

taunting should be removed, and using ziplines shouldnt be the same as jump,

 

triangle shouldnt have so many uses.

 

 

i was actually hoping for one extra button on the DS4 controller - maybe pentagon or something ??

 

the touch pad might be usefull for somethings but i dont see it being much use for the likes of multiplayer FPS's ??

 

the inbuilt move is good but it would have been better if they went with the controller that seperates into 2 like two moves controllers - though that would cost too much.

 

 

im kinda getting bored of Uncharted campaigns now anyways, UC3 should have come out a year or more later than it did imo, they made a mistake and rushed, i will just forget it was part of the Uncharted Universe.

i dont want UC4 for a long time yet.

Message 10 of 16 (103 Views)
Reply
0 Likes