Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2276 posts

Re: Uncharted 4: Realizing Potential

May 9, 2013

opened link, scrolled through article..... this **bleep** is too long, i'll pass :smileyhappy:

Message 11 of 368 (467 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4219 posts

May 9, 2013

Great read, TW. I couldn't agree more.

cheers

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 12 of 368 (446 Views)
Fender Bender
2856 posts

May 9, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

UC4 article

I just published a lengthy article on Uncharted's multiplayer history and the massive potential I believe Uncharted 4 possesses. 

I'm more discussing big-picture ideas here but I do plan to talk about all the specifics in the near future. Thanks for your time and I'd love to hear what you all think!

Read it HERE

I agree on a lot of points, I especially hope Uncharted 4 will bring back the usefullness of traversal, which it had in Uncharted 2 before patch 1.05, because with the low health traversal was almost useless, in Uncharted 3 it was not the health that made it useless, because the health in Uncharted 3 is a lot better, but the clunky climbing mechanics, the bad map design and the big delay on aiming while hanging, I hope they fix all that stuff for Uncharted 4, and bring back skill, no more auto-lock on hipfire, no more whack and roll, no more power plays, no more sprint, no more mods, no more loadouts, fix aiming mechanics, fix climbing mechanics, make cover usefull, no overpowered boosters, no overpowered kickbacks and not in any way have the possibility to look through walls... (and I propably forgot some things)

Message 13 of 368 (430 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

Thanks for all the support and feedback guys. I'm looking forward to analying some of Uncharted's game mechanics in-depth and collaborating with you all on what we want to see in UC4.

Cherry_Ronde wrote:

You didn't give many examples of what could actually be improved, but I do agree with almost everything you wrote. I don't agree with the statement that the game caters to casual players though. Most people here seem to think that having skill equals having good aim, but aiming is a just a part of the skillset you need to be good at the game. Blindfire + melee is arguably broken, but if anything it's the experienced players that are abusing it to their advantage. Power weapons and kickbacks make the game unbalanced, but it's definitely not closing the skill gap between new players and experienced players (quite the opposite).

Like I mentioned, I kept this more big-picture rather than about any game-related specifics. However I definitely plan on diving into all kinds of gameplay ideas and the like shortly.

I don't think it can really be disputed that UC3 caters to casuals. PowerPlays, Paid Boosters, Power Weapon Kickbacks, Stat-boosting hats, auto-lock blindfire, easy nade throwbacks, universal hitboxes, abundant forms of wallhacks (read: SA), predominantly asymmetrical maps, the list is nearly endless.

Blindfire takes no skill, the only deciding factor among good players is who is laggier and if that isn't an indication of a lower skill bar I don't know what is. 

It's amazing to me coming from Uncharted 2 where blindfire was literally a last resort (as it should be) to this game where the majority of "gunfights" are mindless R1 spamfests.

There's nothing wrong with power weapons in UC3 other than their locations on certain maps. Kickbacks have unbalanced the game indeed, an overhaul of the system could easily make them work fairly though -- something I look forward to touching on soon.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 14 of 368 (424 Views)
Fender Bender
2856 posts

May 9, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

Thanks for all the support and feedback guys. I'm looking forward to analying some of Uncharted's game mechanics in-depth and collaborating with you all on what we want to see in UC4.

Cherry_Ronde wrote:

You didn't give many examples of what could actually be improved, but I do agree with almost everything you wrote. I don't agree with the statement that the game caters to casual players though. Most people here seem to think that having skill equals having good aim, but aiming is a just a part of the skillset you need to be good at the game. Blindfire + melee is arguably broken, but if anything it's the experienced players that are abusing it to their advantage. Power weapons and kickbacks make the game unbalanced, but it's definitely not closing the skill gap between new players and experienced players (quite the opposite).

Like I mentioned, I kept this more big-picture rather than about any game-related specifics. However I definitely plan on diving into all kinds of gameplay ideas and the like shortly.

I don't think it can really be disputed that UC3 caters to casuals. PowerPlays, Paid Boosters, Power Weapon Kickbacks, Stat-boosting hats, auto-lock blindfire, easy nade throwbacks, universal hitboxes, abundant forms of wallhacks (read: SA), predominantly asymmetrical maps, the list is nearly endless.

Blindfire takes no skill, the only deciding factor among good players is who is laggier and if that isn't an indication of a lower skill bar I don't know what is. 

It's amazing to me coming from Uncharted 2 where blindfire was literally a last resort (as it should be) to this game where the majority of "gunfights" are mindless R1 spamfests.

There's nothing wrong with power weapons in UC3 other than their locations on certain maps. Kickbacks have unbalanced the game indeed, an overhaul of the system could easily make them work fairly though -- something I look forward to touching on soon.

I think next to blindfire, the whack and roll glitch is a big problem too, but I and 2 other people seem the only persons to agree on that, I was wondering what you think on that, I think it's a serious problem because not only it looks stupid (you damage someone by rolling basically...), it makes punching overpowered, because punching should leave you exposed to aiming people, but in Uncharted 3 you can just cancel the punch, still do damage and roll away from opponents like in a millisecond, I hate it...

Also I think blindfire is just as worse in Uncharted 2, but in Uncharted 2, the aiming is working properly, so if you see someone blindifre rush at you, anyone above level 10 can take him out easily, also if he wants to steelfist, he leaves himself exposed to other people, that could be me (if I'm not dead yet) or else my teammates, while in Uncharted 3 you can do the whack and roll and go away, and finally the maps in Uncharted 3 are to blindfire friendly...

Message 15 of 368 (419 Views)
Fender Bender
2856 posts

May 9, 2013

thanks for the link btw, I saw next to your article a link to new infamous: second son screenshots which I never saw before, I'm really looking forward to infamous second son, so thanks! xD

Message 16 of 368 (410 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I think next to blindfire, the whack and roll glitch is a big problem too, but I and 2 other people seem the only persons to agree on that, I was wondering what you think on that, I think it's a serious problem because not only it looks stupid (you damage someone by rolling basically...), it makes punching overpowered, because punching should leave you exposed to aiming people, but in Uncharted 3 you can just cancel the punch, still do damage and roll away from opponents like in a millisecond, I hate it...

Also I think blindfire is just as worse in Uncharted 2, but in Uncharted 2, the aiming is working properly, so if you see someone blindifre rush at you, anyone above level 10 can take him out easily, also if he wants to steelfist, he leaves himself exposed to other people, that could be me (if I'm not dead yet) or else my teammates, while in Uncharted 3 you can do the whack and roll and go away, and finally the maps in Uncharted 3 are to blindfire friendly...

The melee cancel system known as "Whack 'n Roll" adds some depth if anything to blindfire fights. However the fact that lag renders it so inconsistent proves it unreliable at best.

With blindfire properly balanced I wouldn't mind the mechanic remaining as it is as its effectiveness would be very low on its own (as it should be). Overall though melee should be an afterthought in shooters--a means of trolling, humiliation, and a last resort.

Well a lot of things kept Uncharted 2's blindfire largely a non-issue: first of all the blindfire accuracy across the board was much lower. Second, stopping power was more even and prevented head on rushes. Third, there was no sprint so it was easier to keep your distance from enemies. Finally like you said the maps were far better and did not lend themselves to close quarters shenanigans as we see in UC3 (Chateau, Desert Village, etc.).

The ease of blindfire in UC3 is far and away one of its biggest problems. UC4 needs to ditch the whole auto-lock mechanic completely.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 17 of 368 (392 Views)
Fender Bender
2856 posts

May 9, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

The melee cancel system known as "Whack 'n Roll" adds some depth if anything to blindfire fights. However the fact that lag renders it so inconsistent proves it unreliable at best.

With blindfire properly balanced I wouldn't mind the mechanic remaining as it is as its effectiveness would be very low on its own (as it should be). Overall though melee should be an afterthought in shooters--a means of trolling, humiliation, and a last resort.

Well a lot of things kept Uncharted 2's blindfire largely a non-issue: first of all the blindfire accuracy across the board was much lower. Second, stopping power was more even and prevented head on rushes. Third, there was no sprint so it was easier to keep your distance from enemies. Finally like you said the maps were far better and did not lend themselves to close quarters shenanigans as we see in UC3 (Chateau, Desert Village, etc.).

The ease of blindfire in UC3 is far and away one of its biggest problems. UC4 needs to ditch the whole auto-lock mechanic completely.

as far as I can remember the auto-lock in UC2 was just as bad, but the circumstances like we both stated (maps, sprint, good aim mechanics, etc) made it useless, in UC2 you could just as well shoot a 9mm and your character would automatically turn around and hit your opponent if he was close behind you but you did not see him, I tested that once in a custom game...

anyway, I still think the whack and roll glitch is making blindfire more effective because it makes steelfisting much easier, and steelfisting is a part of blindfire, and I seriously want this glitch to be thrown out of the game :smileysad:

Message 18 of 368 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10105 posts

May 9, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

tripleWRECK wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

as far as I can remember the auto-lock in UC2 was just as bad, but the circumstances like we both stated (maps, sprint, good aim mechanics, etc) made it useless, in UC2 you could just as well shoot a 9mm and your character would automatically turn around and hit your opponent if he was close behind you but you did not see him, I tested that once in a custom game...

anyway, I still think the whack and roll glitch is making blindfire more effective because it makes steelfisting much easier, and steelfisting is a part of blindfire, and I seriously want this glitch to be thrown out of the game :smileysad:

If blindfiring is fixed via Frost's blindfire labs, we'll check WnR. So far, as much as I don't want it, complaints about WnR are blindfire-related.

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Message 19 of 368 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

May 9, 2013
Great article, Triple. Here's hoping we can work together to make U4 the best yet.

I too think the game should be balanced around competitive play or, if not, include advanced customization options that we can tweak to make things suitable.

Maybe next time we'll have the U2 dev team instead of the what, two guys supporting U3 now?
Message 20 of 368 (351 Views)