Highlighted
Fender Bender
2414 posts

Re: Uncharted 4: Realizing Potential

May 16, 2013

Uncharted 3 had great ideas that were horribly executed. 

This is how I foresee a better Uncharted 4....

Intro:

Obviously marketing Uncharted 4’s Mp extensively would grab the attention of hardcore gamers and start changing the perception of others on the Uncharted multiplayer universe as well. Marketing it successfully by creating multiplayer events in major cities like New York, Las Angeles, or even up north in Toronto, like what Triple Wreck said partnering up with “competitive oriented brands”, possibly partnering up with youtube or other major online site, and so on.

Promotion will definitely help with the player pool increasing, but if Naughty Dog wants them to stay playing Uncharted 4’s Mp for a longer period of time, some internal changes need to start happening.

"Welfare mechanics": Remove it. Player's skills need to grow and this has to been done without Naughty Dog holding their hands: Revenge should be scrapped, Kal 7 (and weapons like it should NEVER be in an Uncharted Mp again), any SA variants, ROF, and power plays should be scrapped. Players skills would NEVER grow if they continue to use those booster/modifications/weapon that will only restrict them not. Constantly playing against player's that are better, using effective boosters (ff, mm, scoped in, ts, etc), finding an effective play style (defensive or offensive) that would help them win matches, strategizing on power weapons and knowing the map, all of those will help a player get better. A lot of player's have done this including me and this is the most successful method on getting better. Let’s start doing this the old fashioned way.

Kickbacks/load outs: ND needs to keep load outs. Having the option to choose between weapons and boosters has given me the chance to change my play styles mid game. Kickbacks just need to go. Things like QB didn’t  need to be implemented in the first place. Allowing people to shoot RPG’s out of their **bleep**? And PW stacking? We already got PW placements so I don’t see why adding kick backs were a great idea. Defensive kick backs are helpful, but it doesn’t need to be in Uncharted. Uncharted 2 showed that.

Add region lock option: This is critical for the next Uncharted installment. The player pool will grow and Uncharted 4 needs a Ping toggle to maintain connection stability in Uncharted 4’s Mp. The player pool will increase and Naughty Dog needs to happen. Treyarch has implemented a "search preference" (works like a region lock but offers my options) and this has worked like a charm. Matches are less laggy and I don’t rage as much in match’s lol. I know this works perfectly well with Black Ops 2 because it averages around 300k players a day, but this can work with Uncharted 4 and U4 will have a bigger player pool so ND really needs to add this. Im just going to quote Tapantaola's method on a ping toggle implementation.

"How would it work:
On = find players with 5 connection bars (100ms maximum latency)
Off = find players ASAP regardless of latency

For parties it would work exactly like the DLC toggle -> only the party leader's toggle/latency would matter.

If the leader is from EU, it would find players from neighbouring EU countries. If the leader is from NA, it would find players from the US, Canada etc." 

More Co-op Support: Can’t believe you neglected a critical part in Uncharted’s Mp in your article. This mode can greatly be advanced in player pool and player participation if they revamp it and add certain pieces.

Revamp on what it offers by creating separate modes to allow players to play want they want and to not force game modes onto them. This was the biggest mistake in U3 from a co-op perspective.  Also, giving co-op players more freedom by allowing them to have an enhanced custom options that would increase playability and give them a challenge is a must; “Custom should be advanced, so we could choose to challenge ourselves and pick "no weapons", "pistols only" "time limit toggle" "number of rounds" "types of enemies" (i.e brutes only, chokers only etc, this last one may be pushing it, but just throwing it out there)”- AliMakaveli. Some game play changes in Co-op also need to be happen; “I say scrap Hunter and Shade. Yes, some people play it, but not the majority. I say utilize this space for a few Campaign chapters (where Drake ISN'T alone) and also a super survival (unlimited and/or 100 round mode). Improve enemy AI but don't make them stupendously OP (like the SAS Brute) Increase assist cash so players don't spam/team kill over the PW's. Increase the players ability i.e if a player is being choked, s/he can reverse it and kill the choker (with the helmet ones, it will take a lot more time). When a player is downed, s/he should be able to crawl, throw back nades and even shoot with pistol only (if there are any ammo's left and the player is equipped with one). A player should be able to play solo, so if all friends leave the game won’t end leaving the final players effort fruitless. Also make a better leader boards that reflect skill not time consumption. I.e. Speed run.”- AliMakaveli. Also, Naughty Dog needs to welcome Co-op tournaments with open arms. There were Co-op tournaments already established by Co-op players in it was successfully run. Not only were they unique, it created around Co-op even AFTER Naughty Dog tried to throw Co-op under a bus. Promote it through the Naughty Dog site and Uncharted TV (if there is).

Conclusion:

The op’s original article brought some good points (especially on competitive level that’s why I didn’t add anything to it). Promotion is obviously the first thing Naughty Dog needs to do first...and it most bee done properly. That’s only a short term plan...big internal changes in Uncharted 4’s Mp is the long term solution...people will actual stay playing Uncharted 4’s Mp if there isn't a lot of B.S. going on in-game. Also, you can’t forget to talk about Co-op. If you really want Uncharted 4 to go above and beyond...focusing on Co-op as much as Competitive play is the way to go. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 201 of 368 (438 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 16, 2013
Don't forget: ingame SP store, less crappy desert scenes, ACTUAL treasure hunting, and actual treasure taken by Drake.

Since UC likes taking Drake into a place not used before, maybe a modern city? Aztec stuff?

I'm not really good with thinking up stories for SP, sorry.

Besides that and the store, maybe we can get cash if we finish the game in Crushing? Maybe a free skin? It was in UC2, and it made it seem cool.

Seriously, most ideas I've seen so far are MP. ND has to step up their game from UC2 and definitely from UC3 jesus christ the desert scenes. If they want to be known for the super cool treasure-hunting, the adventure and the action, do better story. NOT desert scenes, and definitely no flat characters. Seriously, I always called Chloe and Cutter "some chick" and "cooler Nate" because that's all I got from UC3 alone.

Side-note: you don't have to throw old characters in unless you have some character development to do.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 202 of 368 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 16, 2013

wais_45 wrote:

Intro:

Obviously marketing Uncharted 4’s Mp extensively would grab the attention of hardcore gamers and start changing the perception of others on the Uncharted multiplayer universe as well. Marketing it successfully by creating multiplayer events in major cities like New York, Las Angeles, or even up north in Toronto, like what Triple Wreck said partnering up with “competitive oriented brands”, possibly partnering up with youtube or other major online site, and so on.

Promotion will definitely help with the player pool increasing, but if Naughty Dog wants them to stay playing Uncharted 4’s Mp for a longer period of time, some internal changes need to start happening.

"Welfare mechanics": Remove it. Player's skills need to grow and this has to been done without Naughty Dog holding their hands: Revenge should be scrapped, Kal 7 (and weapons like it should NEVER be in an Uncharted Mp again), any SA variants, ROF, and power plays should be scrapped. Players skills would NEVER grow if they continue to use those booster/modifications/weapon that will only restrict them not. Constantly playing against player's that are better, using effective boosters (ff, mm, scoped in, ts, etc), finding an effective play style (defensive or offensive) that would help them win matches, strategizing on power weapons and knowing the map, all of those will help a player get better. A lot of player's have done this including me and this is the most successful method on getting better. Let’s start doing this the old fashioned way.

Kickbacks/load outs: ND needs to keep load outs. Having the option to choose between weapons and boosters has given me the chance to change my play styles mid game. Kickbacks just need to go. Things like QB didn’t  need to be implemented in the first place. Allowing people to shoot RPG’s out of their **bleep**? And PW stacking? We already got PW placements so I don’t see why adding kick backs were a great idea. Defensive kick backs are helpful, but it doesn’t need to be in Uncharted. Uncharted 2 showed that.

Add region lock option: This is critical for the next Uncharted installment. The player pool will grow and Uncharted 4 needs a Ping toggle to maintain connection stability in Uncharted 4’s Mp. The player pool will increase and Naughty Dog needs to happen. Treyarch has implemented a "search preference" (works like a region lock but offers my options) and this has worked like a charm. Matches are less laggy and I don’t rage as much in match’s lol. I know this works perfectly well with Black Ops 2 because it averages around 300k players a day, but this can work with Uncharted 4 and U4 will have a bigger player pool so ND really needs to add this. Im just going to quote Tapantaola's method on a ping toggle implementation.

"How would it work:
On = find players with 5 connection bars (100ms maximum latency)
Off = find players ASAP regardless of latency

For parties it would work exactly like the DLC toggle -> only the party leader's toggle/latency would matter.

If the leader is from EU, it would find players from neighbouring EU countries. If the leader is from NA, it would find players from the US, Canada etc." 

More Co-op Support: Can’t believe you neglected a critical part in Uncharted’s Mp in your article. This mode can greatly be advanced in player pool and player participation if they revamp it and add certain pieces.

Revamp on what it offers by creating separate modes to allow players to play want they want and to not force game modes onto them. This was the biggest mistake in U3 from a co-op perspective.  Also, giving co-op players more freedom by allowing them to have an enhanced custom options that would increase playability and give them a challenge is a must; “Custom should be advanced, so we could choose to challenge ourselves and pick "no weapons", "pistols only" "time limit toggle" "number of rounds" "types of enemies" (i.e brutes only, chokers only etc, this last one may be pushing it, but just throwing it out there)”- AliMakaveli. Some game play changes in Co-op also need to be happen; “I say scrap Hunter and Shade. Yes, some people play it, but not the majority. I say utilize this space for a few Campaign chapters (where Drake ISN'T alone) and also a super survival (unlimited and/or 100 round mode). Improve enemy AI but don't make them stupendously OP (like the SAS Brute) Increase assist cash so players don't spam/team kill over the PW's. Increase the players ability i.e if a player is being choked, s/he can reverse it and kill the choker (with the helmet ones, it will take a lot more time). When a player is downed, s/he should be able to crawl, throw back nades and even shoot with pistol only (if there are any ammo's left and the player is equipped with one). A player should be able to play solo, so if all friends leave the game won’t end leaving the final players effort fruitless. Also make a better leader boards that reflect skill not time consumption. I.e. Speed run.”- AliMakaveli. Also, Naughty Dog needs to welcome Co-op tournaments with open arms. There were Co-op tournaments already established by Co-op players in it was successfully run. Not only were they unique, it created around Co-op even AFTER Naughty Dog tried to throw Co-op under a bus. Promote it through the Naughty Dog site and Uncharted TV (if there is).

Conclusion:

The op’s original article brought some good points (especially on competitive level that’s why I didn’t add anything to it). Promotion is obviously the first thing Naughty Dog needs to do first...and it most bee done properly. That’s only a short term plan...big internal changes in Uncharted 4’s Mp is the long term solution...people will actual stay playing Uncharted 4’s Mp if there isn't a lot of B.S. going on in-game. Also, you can’t forget to talk about Co-op. If you really want Uncharted 4 to go above and beyond...focusing on Co-op as much as Competitive play is the way to go. 

Great post I pretty much agree with everything you said especially when it comes to Co-op. 

I would be most happy with a Super Survival mode & i'm fully behind the inclusion of being able to crawl while being downed it would greatly help the flow of the game & help to eradicate some of those BS deaths. 

Plus Co-op should be playable on all maps.

Message 203 of 368 (409 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 16, 2013
As for co-op Adv... They have to step up their storytelling, and do something better.

They could do three STORIES, each with CHAPTERS (seriously ND. Chapters =\= stories). There would be an option to "Continue Story" or "Change Story", and if the majority picks the "Change Story", you are asked to choose between the remaining stories.

I don't know what UC4 will bring, so I only thought of three possible CANON co-op adv stories.

One could happen before UDF, or during. The players would be Sully, Roman and Navarro. Sully would be forced by Roman to look for the treasure which he promised to get to pay off his debt in UDF. Bosses would be the naked nazi zombie things. The ending would be Sully running away or something like that.

The second story could be Zoran, Flynn and Chloe. They could be in the Monastery part already, looking for the Cintimani stone. All enemies would be yetis (making it the hardest story ever) and the boss would be a yeti with exploding thingies. The ending could be them finding the tower with the heavy block puzzle (before Nate finds it. So the UC2 cutscene plays as well).

The third would be Young Sully, Marlowe and some agent or Talbot (in order to keep his magic status). It could be a simple heist, and the ending would be Marlowe asking Sully to get the famous ring and cipher, making it the pre-scene to Nate going into the museum himself.

As for the matchmaking, the player can set a checkbox for difficulties, and the player will look for players who fall at least into one of the choices.

Voting would only consist of the chosen difficulties of the players (so if you choose Hard and Crushing and some other guy picks Easy and Hard, choices are Easy, Hard and Crushing). The common choices would be highlighted: yellow highlight among 2, green among 3 (so in my example Hard is in yellow).
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 204 of 368 (400 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1135 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

wais_45 wrote:

I agree with everything on your post.  

I think Loadouts are fine, however they Should add Weapons in the map so you can pick up the Dragon Sniper, M4, or Ak47 whenever you feel. Unfortuanetly all you can pick up is the power weapons or stuff players dropped.  I would love the option to quickly change my loadout right before the match starts.  Like using Monkey Man on a map like Yemen or using Scoped Zoom in a map like Plaza.  Though I guess you change it once you die.  

My idea with Co-op is to reward players with the treasures to unlock stuff. In Uncharted 3 everything is based on luck this shouldn't be the case.    

-Put Treasures hidden in the Maps through Adventure, Arena, Hunter etc.   Like Using an RPG to blow out a wall and there would be a hidden Treasure!  Or you press a button on a wall to unlock a puzzle! Or hide in a secret area,  like finding the Treasures in Single Player but this time it will be in Co-op!

-A unique enemy drops a certain Treasure

-Get Treasures By completing a Adventure or Arena under 20:00 minutes,  speedrunning!

-Get Treasures By Difficulty on a Certain map

Make the Co-op experience less on Bullet Sponges.   Put more unique enemies, objective, Weapons (like crossbow), Bigger Co-op Adventures that are beautiful and fun to platform!   

Potential Naughty Dog you can make another GOTY!

Message 205 of 368 (388 Views)
Sackboy
541 posts

May 16, 2013

Some pretty neat Co-op ideas in this thread! I think it would be cool if they did three separate stories that would somehow intertwine (Co-op Adventure). Y'know, a Pulp Fiction type thing. I have no idea what the stories would be, though.

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 206 of 368 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17622 posts

May 17, 2013

bunshing wrote:
a game with just a multiayer is BORING

it need to have a great single player. After, when you play online, you understand more where you are and you feel more home

take exemple the beta. At first, the maps where like normal. But after you played the single player, now the maps online were getting more sense and more important

Nonsense.

One of the all-time great RTS games, Dark Reign, had a joke single player.   It was a superb MP game.  No one talked about, wrote about or remembered the single player campaigns, only the MP.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 207 of 368 (308 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 17, 2013

scootgar wrote:

bunshing wrote:
a game with just a multiayer is BORING

it need to have a great single player. After, when you play online, you understand more where you are and you feel more home

take exemple the beta. At first, the maps where like normal. But after you played the single player, now the maps online were getting more sense and more important

Nonsense.

One of the all-time great RTS games, Dark Reign, had a joke single player.   It was a superb MP game.  No one talked about, wrote about or remembered the single player campaigns, only the MP.

Exactly what I was saying last night, I guess our opinions on the topic are in the minority here.

Message 208 of 368 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 17, 2013
You're not implying it happens to UC4 though, right?
Message 209 of 368 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 17, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
You're not implying it happens to UC4 though, right?

I'm pretty sure they are simply saying not every game needs a SP campaign to be considered a product with substance.

Nothing to do with UC4.

Message 210 of 368 (292 Views)
0 Likes