Fender Bender
4346 posts

Re: Uncharted 4: Realizing Potential

May 9, 2013

neverbelow wrote:

GMRcris wrote:

- GMRcris trademark novel -

I agree with him that CoD being so successful really was the perfect storm and it's competitive side getting big is largely a numbers game. People buy CoD purely for the MP. CoD VASTLY outsells Uncharted on any single platform just for the MP and nothing else. The number of people that buy Uncharted just for the MP is a very small number in comparision.

Where as the Uncharted community has been trying to establish itself, taking steps when it can, most of the examples triple has given don't really apply to Uncharted.

Counter-Strike/League of Legends: mods of a game that eventually blew up and became it's own thing. I mean pretty much through high school CS was borderline my life, my school had LAN events every 2 weeks, 2 of my personal high school friends were of part of my competitive CS team and the rest were people we found playing online, I played 1 or 2 ladder matches a week. After that though it kind of became contagious. I mean I remember a few time if graphic arts class when my  the teacher was out and we had a substitue, we passed around a flash drive with CS on it and we had the entire class playing CS and having fun. Yeah it was that kind of contagious. I don't really have much to say on LoL since I haven't played all that much of it, though the people I know that do play it seem to think quite highly of it.

Halo: single handely made FPS a standard on consoles, if this achievement wasn't enough follow that up with Halo 2, which brought online gaming to consoles and to the massed. Then of course there is the competitive side of Halo 2 which was huge and then Halo 3 followed suite. On top of that Halo 3 introduced Forge, which is probably the closet thing to modding console gamers have ever gotten honestly.

Call of Duty: PC roots that eventually expanded to consoles and saw huge success with CoD4 MW. To the point where it overthrew Halo on consoles as FPS king and standardized the market of FPS experiences and online FPS experiences.

Then there is Uncharted, which can honestly probably be grouped with Gears of War perhaps, though the Gears multiplayer community is honestly probably larrger than our own. But anyway what did these two franchise achieve? Well...I guess Uncharted set a standard for single player experiences in terms of blockbuster set pieces. As for Gears....um...Gears 3 has dedicated servers? I got nothing lol. Honestly though when it comes to 3rd person shooters on consoles, most are still living in t he shadows/can be traced back to Resident Evil 4. Where as the FPS genre has seen quite a bit of growth, evolution and big names. The real turning point for 3rd persons shooters was done in 2005. It pretty much the standards for camera work, aiming, and even set pieces well before Uncharted had Drake jumping from train to train or whatever. I vividly remember a lot of comparisions of RE4 to Gears 1 when that was coming out. Though RE4 doesn't have MP so I guess they have that over it.

My point being all these examples have had a noticably impact on gaming, ranging from establishing genres on platforms and setting standards for online gaming in general. Uncharted really hasn't had that big of meaningful impact on gaming.

Message 51 of 368 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4346 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

neverbelow wrote:

GMRcris wrote:

Of course I also must drop the big LoL, Leauge of Legends. I mean some could aruge that a lot of people are responsible for the sucess of the game on a comptitive scale but truthfully Riot games took a gamble with supporting it competitively and it very easily could have died off as quickly as it took off. I mean yes it was originally just a mod for WarCraft III that eventually turned into a full fledge game but I mean it's apples to oranges when the PC community enviroment vs. the console one. Where as PC gaming has been competitive for a while, consoles games are faily new to it. On top of that PC is far more open in terms of the modding community and this the sense of what can be done and modified creatly helps in that very same respect, where as on console games it's far more restictive and usually what you see is what you get. This very same logic can be applied to Counter-Strike since it was also originally a mod for Half-Life. But I mean these games are on PC, which is a much larger install base than some would think and the differences between PC and console gaming, while small are there.

I'd like to make one comment on LoL. LoL is a PC/Mac game and therefore the install base is practically universal. Uncharted's install base is limited. U4 this will be especially true if it comes early in the console's life cycle. Just about everyone living in a developed country has access to a pc/mac with needed system requirements. The system requirements just to play the game are practically any common computer. There is practically no barrier to entry. I believe it's FTP up to a certain point as well.

I know. Also the game is entirely free, nothing you buy directly affects the core gameplay, only thing you buy with money are skins for your characters and maybe extra XP I believe. Almost everything in the game can be aquired in game though experience, it's just skins that require actual money, which don't affect the game.

Message 52 of 368 (466 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

GMRcris wrote:

Counter-Strike/League of Legends: mods of a game that eventually blew up and became it's own thing. I mean pretty much through high school CS was borderline my life, my school had LAN events every 2 weeks, 2 of my personal high school friends were of part of my competitive CS team and the rest were people we found playing online, I played 1 or 2 ladder matches a week. After that though it kind of became contagious. I mean I remember a few time if graphic arts class when my  the teacher was out and we had a substitue, we passed around a flash drive with CS on it and we had the entire class playing CS and having fun. Yeah it was that kind of contagious. I don't really have much to say on LoL since I haven't played all that much of it, though the people I know that do play it seem to think quite highly of it.

Halo: single handely made FPS a standard on consoles, if this achievement wasn't enough follow that up with Halo 2, which brought online gaming to consoles and to the massed. Then of course there is the competitive side of Halo 2 which was huge and then Halo 3 followed suite. On top of that Halo 3 introduced Forge, which is probably the closet thing to modding console gamers have ever gotten honestly.

My point being all these examples have had a noticably impact on gaming, ranging from establishing genres on platforms and setting standards for online gaming in general. Uncharted really hasn't had that big of meaningful impact on gaming.

I'm getting nostalgia just thinking about CS. Good times. When I went to my first LAN at the UofU I found out just how broad of an appeal that game had. At the time I thought it was about the nerdiest thing I had ever done until me and my friend carpooled with another online friend to go there. We all probably didn't look the part beyond being teenagers but that guy especially. I think we enjoyed trash talking in the global text chat as much as anything else in game. I was super immature and mean. I guess some things don't change.

I never liked Halo but I agree it was the FPS standard and popularized the genre to masses. Everyone in high school played that kinda like everyone has played CoD now.

Maybe Uncharted will set a standard of some sort in the future for gaming. Maybe for third person or traversal in general.

Message 53 of 368 (458 Views)
Fender Bender
4346 posts

May 10, 2013

I just don't see Uncharted doing anything of this sort. I mean the franchise was basically built upon many other games elements and refined. Nothing really revolutionary or stand out about it. (that being said it has refined other games elements perfectly, well if were not counting the lackluster attempt at imitating the emblem editor and killstreaks from CoD)

Honestly though we should focus on the trickle down effect. If Uncharted 4 is made with the competitive mind set off the bat, ND tries to make it as balance as possible(because honestly nothing is going to be perfectly balanced), ranging from better map design, better gunplay balances, better custimization it will show the love and careful thought ND put into it's design and people will notice. I mean really get the meta game down point. The core gameplay gets down, the core fanbase will enjoy it and say a lot of positive things about it, they will tell their friends and try to get them to play, word of mouth will spread about the game, etc..The facebook(fication) effect if you will. (if that's even a word) Honestly if the game explodeds or takes off really isn't in anyones hands(not the community or the developers), there is no real way of knowing what the next break out game will be, Infinity Ward probably didn't know, Bungie didn't know, Riot games, etc...But what is know is these developers put a lot of time and effort into making their MP and refining it and it shows. This is ulimtately what really matters.

Message 54 of 368 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 10, 2013

GMRcris wrote:

I just don't see Uncharted doing anything of this sort. I mean the franchise was basically built upon many other games elements and refined. Nothing really revolutionary or stand out about it. (that being said it has refined other games elements perfectly, well if were not counting the lackluster attempt at imitating the emblem editor and killstreaks from CoD)

Honestly though we should focus on the trickle down effect. If Uncharted 4 is made with the competitive mind set off the bat, ND tries to make it as balance as possible(because honestly nothing is going to be perfectly balanced), ranging from better map design, better gunplay balances, better custimization it will show the love and careful thought ND put into it's design and people will notice. I mean really get the meta game down point. The core gameplay gets down, the core fanbase will enjoy it and say a lot of positive things about it, they will tell their friends and try to get them to play, word of mouth will spread about the game, etc..The facebook(fication) effect if you will. (if that's even a word) Honestly if the game explodeds or takes off really isn't in anyones hands(not the community or the developers), there is no real way of knowing what the next break out game will be, Infinity Ward probably didn't know, Bungie didn't know, Riot games, etc...But what is know is these developers put a lot of time and effort into making their MP and refining it and it shows. This is ulimtately what really matters.

Hopefully this would happen without ruining SP. I like my stories.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 55 of 368 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2348 posts

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

Black_MiD wrote:

Matt

I hide during Double Damage, but I don't consider myself a tryhard; it's just the logical thing to do, I think. I mean, why would I purposely put myself at a disadvantage when I know I'd better hide? As much as I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, I surely don't want to ruin my own, either...

No, you are in denial. Only tryhards would hide during DD. It's pathetic.

i don't believe hiding in double damage makes you a tryhard, i believe it's a terrible idea to reward the losing team, it's illogical, the basic rules of TDM is to have more kills than deaths as a team, if you know you will greatly cost your team, hiding is a good choice (it's not camping if you're not trying for kills).... boosting KDR or WLR? not really, people can play casually and still want to the win (not that they'd be too upset that they lost) but the team that is preforming better should be the team that wins, do you not agree? or are you going to use the "you're a tryhard in denial" card on me too? i don't hide in Double Damage but it seems to be your only rebuttal...

one of the reasons why i prefer to play objective

Message 56 of 368 (400 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 10, 2013
Hiding from OP weapons =\= tryhard.

If you're not a tryhard that means you play the game for fun right? Getting killed by a 1HK melee is never fun.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 57 of 368 (381 Views)
Sackboy
456 posts

May 10, 2013
Regarding DD: some friends and I went 50-0. We were running around on ALL power plays.

Stop complaining guys. It can be done. -.-

I only really play FFXIV and Smite now a'days.
If you send me a friend request please specify where you're from. Thank.
Sub or just check out my YouTube channel!
Message 58 of 368 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 10, 2013
Doesn't make hiding in DD stupid.

Especially when lone wolf.
Message 59 of 368 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

May 10, 2013

nicolepwned wrote:
Regarding DD: some friends and I went 50-0. We were running around on ALL power plays.

Stop complaining guys. It can be done. -.-

Of course it can be done against noobs, but it's completely different if you're facing a decent/good party and manage to take the lead just to be screwed over by Power Plays in the end.

Message 60 of 368 (364 Views)