Fender Bender
3247 posts

Re: Uncharted 4: Realizing Potential

May 10, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
@Triple Would this affect SP? I mean, I *kinda* buy UC for SP and I don't feel like I want this to get CoDified (ie singleplayer becomes a throwaway thing).

Absolutely not, presumably Naughty Dog would just bring on additional resources for the MP. SP would and should remain unaffected.

GMRcris wrote:

*snip*

Again, the examples were mentioned because of the underlying principles their respective successes all share. 

Gears, Killzone, and Resistance have been far more successful than Uncharted, both in terms of general MP popularity and competitive achievements. They're no more innovative than Uncharted, perhaps even less so. They simply have fun, polished gameplay and has been supported by their developers, the competitive scene, and the community. A recipe for success if there ever was one.

MW was a huge hit because first and foremost IW committed themselves to the MP. They wanted it to be big, and they knew that if they devoted themselves they could accomplish something special. The excellent marketing and promotion carried it the rest of the way.

Counter Strike's success was only made possible because of its community. A more extreme example of the impact a community can have, but still relevant all the same.

I believe there is room at the top for Uncharted, it just will require Sony and Naughty Dog's best efforts to get it there.

Message 71 of 368 (563 Views)
Fender Bender
4343 posts

May 10, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:
@Triple Would this affect SP? I mean, I *kinda* buy UC for SP and I don't feel like I want this to get CoDified (ie singleplayer becomes a throwaway thing).

Absolutely not, presumably Naughty Dog would just bring on additional resources for the MP. SP would and should remain unaffected.

GMRcris wrote:

*snip*

Again, the examples were mentioned because of the underlying principles their respective successes all share. 

Gears, Killzone, and Resistance have been far more successful than Uncharted, both in terms of general MP popularity and competitive achievements. They're no more innovative than Uncharted, perhaps even less so. They simply have fun, polished gameplay and has been supported by their developers, the competitive scene, and the community. A recipe for success if there ever was one.

MW was a huge hit because first and foremost IW committed themselves to the MP. They wanted it to be big, and they knew that if they devoted themselves they could accomplish something special. The excellent marketing and promotion carried it the rest of the way.

Counter Strike's success was only made possible because of its community. A more extreme example of the impact a community can have, but still relevant all the same.

I believe there is room at the top for Uncharted, it just will require Sony and Naughty Dog's best efforts to get it there.

These underlying don't apply to everything, especially in the case of Uncharted.

Out of those 3, Gears was the most success. And that is in due part to the fact that Xbox brand is simply put more associated with onine play, even more so online competitive play than the playstation name. There is no getting around that. Killzone was basically a spawn of the time when everyone wanted a piece of Halo, and Resistence honestly seemed quite similar, even more soon seeing the transition from R1 to R2. Both had a similar goal, both technically didn't achieve it(be the next Halo/CoD sensation) at the same time in the MP space they were more successful than Uncharted.

Lets not pretend like everthing was all right and rain at IW. Between Vince and Jason all the other business at Activison, it's fair to say they did their job but the peoples voices and wallents did the rest and no one, no matter how hard X or Y worked could have seen that. It speaks volumes when pretty much entire class at the time knew about CoD and to this very day that brands still holds that level of know, power, and authority to the masses. There was a time where Halo held a similar crown but eventually CoD took it and honestly might have even grown it.

Counter-Strike and League of Legends were because of the community. Keep in mind though were treading into PC space. While console and PC gamers are still gamers, there is quite a distinct difference between the two. The most obvious being how avid the PC gamers are when it comes to modding, custimization and in general having far more say in what happens to the games than what most consoles gamer have. Console gamers go on twitter and ask David Vondohaar for a new playlist, PC gamers would have simply made a mod for it. It's a real shame how locked down games are on console and I definitely see and understand why. But the potential for the modding community is something console gamers have barely had a taste of. There are signs of this community work being understood with things like Halo's Forge, LittleBigPlanet, etc...and developers would be wise to see this as unimaginable oppertunity for developers and gamers alike to really bridge that game that has exsisted there for quite some time. Who will finally capitilize and get it right is beyond me. But truthfully I feel whoever does, might be next big title or IP that makes it's name know in gaming, much like these examples we have discussed. That or I am talking out of my **bleep**, which is likely.

There is always room at the top, but Uncharted isn't the only one fighting for it and this isn't something that only pertains to the playstation brand.

Bungie's Destiny could truly change and re-define online gaming, they certainly have experience doing such.

Vince and Jason's Respawn Entertainment could very easily produce the next big thing and if what I am hearing is true about it being a Xbox infinity/Fusion/Durango/IDC what it's called then this could solidfy the next Xbox as once again being the premier platform for online gaming and even more so the place to play competitively. (that and PC gaming has always held a strong hold on the competitive online space.)

Who know's maybe Blizzards project Titan could make a splash no one sees coming. They certainly still have the online MMO space on lock down.

Point being regardless of it's these examples or maybe Rainbow Six Patriots comes out of nowhere, or hell maybe Unreal Tournament makes an "EPIC" comeback, Uncharted isn't the only one seeking to be at the top and I would argue the competition has a leg up in more ways than one.

Message 72 of 368 (533 Views)
Wastelander
690 posts

May 11, 2013
Dude...Cris, if UT comes back, and we see a console version like the ps3 version of UT3 that supports kb&m and modding, I might have to jump ship. Always wanted to dive deep into the series.

Sounds like you know your gaming stuff. I can side with you that Uncharted will have quite some fighting to do if it wants to establish itself as an esteemed multiplayer game, which Triple is aiming to do.

While I'd run off for an awesome ps4 port of a new UT or Quake game, I'm still going to be present to add my voice to making Uncharted stand out.

The most important thing is whether ND will want to commit to making Uncharted's multiplayer better or not. Having a team split between that and another game like TLoU isn't a good idea IMO. There should be more communication between ND and the fans (although ND does listen to us...sometimes...they could do better) which is a key to the multiplayer's success.
Message 73 of 368 (519 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 11, 2013

@ Triple

Thank god dude. I prefer my SP with a game store, but as long as the story has ACTUAL GODDAMN TREASURE, I'm okay with it.

Are you reading this, ND? ACTUAL. TREASURE. You do NOT, I repeat, do NOT advertise Drake as a treasure hunter until he ACTUALLY GETS TREASURE.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 74 of 368 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
541 posts

May 11, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:

@ Triple

Thank god dude. I prefer my SP with a game store, but as long as the story has ACTUAL GODDAMN TREASURE, I'm okay with it.

Are you reading this, ND? ACTUAL. TREASURE. You do NOT, I repeat, do NOT advertise Drake as a treasure hunter until he ACTUALLY GETS TREASURE.

Smiley Very Happy Drake always finds a way to **bleep** up whatever ancient city he manages to find. And he never gets any treasure... Remember that part in UDF where you find the German U-boat? Well, one of the Nazi officers has plenty of gold coins, but Drake, being the genius he is, doesn't take ANY...

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 75 of 368 (492 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

May 11, 2013

Hm I don't think I actually made a post based on this actual topic.

I think I just went into some double damage rant when I saw it.

Anyway.

The success of this game, competitively and commercially relies on Sony and in general the consumer who is going to be buying the products.

Sony would need to heavily push the next game and next console as a console based on multiplayer principles that would up the userbase for almost every game.

It's down to both Sony and NaughtyDog to push Uncharted 4 as a multiplayer title with a single player campaign, When you see a bit of new CoD footage it's usually multiplayer thats being pushed as the primary focus, ND started it with the beta, but it all faded out after that and all that come of it was story based news after that.

As for Halo, maybe the difference between Halo and Uncharted and why one was widely played and the other being Uncharted which isn't widely played. The difference is simple. Well designed maps, well balanced gameplay, Halo 2 was a little exploitable in some areas of gun play, CE.. Well I didn't play it on PC so I didn't play it online.

Halo 3 was widely played also for a very long time, that game was perfect all around, the only time things went wrong was when the playerbase decided to make things go wrong. Perfect matchmaking balance, perfect gun balancing, well designed maps. It was absolutely spot on.

The next two major Halo releases were massive steps backwards, Didn't like either one, but the momentum gathered from previous Halo games sells them alone. They stay popular from that momentum.

Both Sony and NaughtyDog do have an opportunity to change things for the better with Uncharted 4, a new console with reported huge orders. Only they can change the future in a big way, we are all small fish in a big pond.

While we may know better than some of the people with the power for change, we can't push change on a big scale like they can. It quite simply needs them to support and fully back the vision outlined here.

Message 76 of 368 (493 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

May 11, 2013

Black_MiD wrote:

TheStuntDouble wrote:

@ Triple

Smiley Very Happy Drake always finds a way to **bleep** up whatever ancient city he manages to find. And he never gets any treasure... Remember that part in UDF where you find the German U-boat? Well, one of the Nazi officers has plenty of gold coins, but Drake, being the genius he is, doesn't take ANY...

Let's not be exagerrating. He took JUST ONE. OUT OF TWELVE. AND HE HAS TONS OF POCKETS.

I can see why Sully is **bleep** all the time. His younger sidekick sucks at treasure-hunting.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 77 of 368 (476 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

May 11, 2013
Uncharted still has potential to be a big hit in the MP department. It's up to Sony and Naughty Dog to really make that push. Only time will tell.
Message 78 of 368 (465 Views)
Fender Bender
3247 posts

May 11, 2013

GMRcris wrote:

*snip*

Point being regardless of it's these examples or maybe Rainbow Six Patriots comes out of nowhere, or hell maybe Unreal Tournament makes an "EPIC" comeback, Uncharted isn't the only one seeking to be at the top and I would argue the competition has a leg up in more ways than one.

For risk of going too far off on other tangents:

I never said it will be easy, but the path is clear and if executed correctly UC4 can be a definitive multiplayer game for next generation--even more so for the PS4.

Message 79 of 368 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

May 11, 2013
@Aurei

I played Halo CE on the PC, it was really fun.

While the pistol was a little too good (the M9 of the game), you could do work with almost anything you had.

Also, you had to always lead your target depending on the ping. For low pings you aimed a little ahead, and the distance would increase from then on.
While it's probably a consequence of the game's netcode, I felt it added a nice skill gap where better players knew where to lead and would win gunfights for the most part.

I can't say much of it competitively though. I'd hunt for some nice servers to play and go from there
Message 80 of 368 (454 Views)
0 Likes