Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Re: Uncharted 4 confirmed to be 'in the cards'?

Oct 6, 2013
@wycliff Oh sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I thought that was obvious, but I'll make it clear next time.
Currently looking for GTA Online friends who aren't obviously bad sports.
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 54 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2809 posts

Oct 7, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Banting-Best wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

runner21 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:
I just don't understand why people like TLOU...

Quality story with fun gameplay.

And an innovative MP.

Spoiler
It's all opinion, really.

I understand the MP. Even though I really don't like the free molotovs for losers.

I absolutely loathed that story though. I'm adding a spoiler here to try and explain my problem with it.

Spoiler
You start the game, your character has a soul, he has a daughter, she dies, he becomes this souless monster for 90% of the game, sure I understand why, but it doesn't make him interesting, it makes him a bland uncaring soul with what feels like no hope of saving. I didn't care about him, gave me no reason to at all. Just seems like a bad premise for making an interesting character someone can get attached to.
Spoiler

At the University area he started warming a little and showing some soul. The game was getting better at that point but it wasn't even far from the end, the ending was all wrong IMO too... If he lost everything again you'd have no choice but to feel sorry for him, but.. He won, and sacrificed potential world saving in the process? Huh. After all that.. It just makes the character development go from dad, souless, selfish... I don't even care at the point the credits rolled.

Games with souless characters I guess are not my strong point. But Heavy Rain had the same premise of character development without infected.

Spoiler
Guy loses kid, guy turns into a souless guy, guy finds reason to carry on.

Only difference is. You knew why you were doing it and you were following your objective for a good reason.

TLOU just nullified the entire plot for the reasons above.

I hate plots that fall into oblivion... At the end is just.. Why did you make me play all that to have an ending like that kind of feeling.

I think I'm more angry at the fact that at it's core it's got everything to be an epic game. The story just angers me so much.

Joel is not a good guy.  There's no doubt about that.

The part that really made me angry:

Spoiler
After they get out of the sewers Joel finds a note from someone saying they were going to join up with Ish because they think they might me safer. Joel: "Yeah look how that turned out."  Go choke on a lollipop Joel.

I never really understood Aureilia's love for Sully until we saw his interactions with Nate in flash-back form.  Uncharted is a series with characters we can root for without really feeling conflicted about it.  I ended TLOU satisfied, can't wait to start my Survivor playthrough.  Uncharted will always be my video game comfort food though.  Like crispy french fries, nom nom.

Sully for me shows throughout countless times in Uncharted 2 that he always sticks by Nate no matter what the odds are. His character is fantastic in that sense and also the other part to him which is fed through diglogue which gives you info on the kind of character he would be if he wasn't treasure hunting.

If Nate didn't keep Sully busy. He'd be in a bar picking up women. Sounds like a fun kind of guy.

In Uncharted 1 I kind of thought he was just going to be a villain in the end. His character just feels like the best developed one to me. I always knew Elena was going to be the trophy hanging off Nate. Chloe was a pretty cool addition.

Sure I get why Elena is there. It makes sense and I don't have much against the character, but it's all very predictable. I don't have a problem with that.

Sully has many dimensions though. Apart from GlaDOS the best character of the last generation.

don't you mean Uncharted 3? Sully ditched Nate after Borneo because he's to old for this **bleep** :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 54 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12582 posts

Oct 7, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Banting-Best wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

runner21 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:
I just don't understand why people like TLOU...

Quality story with fun gameplay.

And an innovative MP.

Spoiler
It's all opinion, really.

I understand the MP. Even though I really don't like the free molotovs for losers.

I absolutely loathed that story though. I'm adding a spoiler here to try and explain my problem with it.

Spoiler
You start the game, your character has a soul, he has a daughter, she dies, he becomes this souless monster for 90% of the game, sure I understand why, but it doesn't make him interesting, it makes him a bland uncaring soul with what feels like no hope of saving. I didn't care about him, gave me no reason to at all. Just seems like a bad premise for making an interesting character someone can get attached to.
Spoiler

At the University area he started warming a little and showing some soul. The game was getting better at that point but it wasn't even far from the end, the ending was all wrong IMO too... If he lost everything again you'd have no choice but to feel sorry for him, but.. He won, and sacrificed potential world saving in the process? Huh. After all that.. It just makes the character development go from dad, souless, selfish... I don't even care at the point the credits rolled.

Games with souless characters I guess are not my strong point. But Heavy Rain had the same premise of character development without infected.

Spoiler
Guy loses kid, guy turns into a souless guy, guy finds reason to carry on.

Only difference is. You knew why you were doing it and you were following your objective for a good reason.

TLOU just nullified the entire plot for the reasons above.

I hate plots that fall into oblivion... At the end is just.. Why did you make me play all that to have an ending like that kind of feeling.

I think I'm more angry at the fact that at it's core it's got everything to be an epic game. The story just angers me so much.

Joel is not a good guy.  There's no doubt about that.

The part that really made me angry:

Spoiler
After they get out of the sewers Joel finds a note from someone saying they were going to join up with Ish because they think they might me safer. Joel: "Yeah look how that turned out."  Go choke on a lollipop Joel.

I never really understood Aureilia's love for Sully until we saw his interactions with Nate in flash-back form.  Uncharted is a series with characters we can root for without really feeling conflicted about it.  I ended TLOU satisfied, can't wait to start my Survivor playthrough.  Uncharted will always be my video game comfort food though.  Like crispy french fries, nom nom.

Sully for me shows throughout countless times in Uncharted 2 that he always sticks by Nate no matter what the odds are. His character is fantastic in that sense and also the other part to him which is fed through diglogue which gives you info on the kind of character he would be if he wasn't treasure hunting.

If Nate didn't keep Sully busy. He'd be in a bar picking up women. Sounds like a fun kind of guy.

In Uncharted 1 I kind of thought he was just going to be a villain in the end. His character just feels like the best developed one to me. I always knew Elena was going to be the trophy hanging off Nate. Chloe was a pretty cool addition.

Sure I get why Elena is there. It makes sense and I don't have much against the character, but it's all very predictable. I don't have a problem with that.

Sully has many dimensions though. Apart from GlaDOS the best character of the last generation.

don't you mean Uncharted 3? Sully ditched Nate after Borneo because he's to old for this **bleep** :smileytongue:

That actually was simply a way to get him captured was it not? :smileytongue:

Anyway all of that was well done too, It provided information of the lengths Nate would go to for him.

Uncharted 3 did one thing correctly. It developed the Nathan Drake character a lot. Made him a lot more real and relatable than the past two games.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 54 (153 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1161 posts

Oct 7, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Anyway all of that was well done too, It provided information of the lengths Nate would go to for him.

Uncharted 3 did one thing correctly. It developed the Nathan Drake character a lot. Made him a lot more real and relatable than the past two games.

I really don't understand why people hated the story in UC3 so much.  I thought they gave the characters some great emotional scenes that really showed who they were.  They didn't turn the game into a movie to do so either.  Where wil they go with the next one?  Remember all the "Sully should die talk?" Heh, not so much.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 54 (146 Views)
Welcoming Committee
12582 posts

Oct 7, 2013

Banting-Best wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I really don't understand why people hated the story in UC3 so much.  I thought they gave the characters some great emotional scenes that really showed who they were.  They didn't turn the game into a movie to do so either.  Where wil they go with the next one?  Remember all the "Sully should die talk?" Heh, not so much.

I've never thought Sully should die. I've actually seen lead character potential in Sully for a long time.

There are parts of the story done well. Sully and Nate's character development is a very good part of the game.

Cutter, Elena and Chloe? Not so much.

The issues I have with the story are more to do with how it's written. Those darts that are sending people crazy, It's something from the water. Marlowe and her group are seeking it. But they created the darts? They already have what they were looking for. I don't get it.

They also hint towards Drake's name not being what he says it is. Marlowe says that at a certain point, also Drake's secret will be revealed? Really? Because it wasn't revealed. Unless they actually meant the ring and discovering the puzzle from the other piece, if so thats a pretty bad secret.

While some of it was good. I hate those things about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 54 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2809 posts

Oct 8, 2013
^ yeah I agree, there were to much holes in the story, but for me the dialogue and character development made up for it, so I still felt it was a great story at the end, the thing I hate most about Uncharted 3 is the gameplay, and I hope that gets better in UC4...
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 54 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12582 posts

Oct 8, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:
^ yeah I agree, there were to much holes in the story, but for me the dialogue and character development made up for it, so I still felt it was a great story at the end, the thing I hate most about Uncharted 3 is the gameplay, and I hope that gets better in UC4...

I didn't mind the gameplay. I did mind the gameplay in MP though.

Introducing sprint... What were they thinking.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 54 (110 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Oct 8, 2013
I liked HC mode in MP though.

Honestly? I hate the SP only because there's no store. I'm not online most of the time on the PS3, so I like replayability on the SP. I get something to do, and I don't feel like game companies are forcing me to be always on.

I mean yeah, it's just clothes, or cheats, or filters. It still increased playtime for me though. I like playing through UDF as Prakoso or Baseball drake (since I didn't get Roman). It's like having a unique character besides the one forced upon me. It makes it more individual for me.

There's a line though. Drug-induced, dominant color games aren't cool. Medieval **bleep**? Not my bag. Apocalypse? 50-50.
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 54 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12582 posts

Oct 8, 2013

The store was awesome.

I used to just buy grenades and throw them all the time :smileyhappy: was so much fun!

Uncharted 3 certainly lacks the ability to have fun with it once your done.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 54 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Oct 8, 2013
I wish I got to play as an Agent guy.

Hitman style, yep.
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 54 (92 Views)