Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 06 2013
By: Fakehound Treasure Hunter 4775 posts

Uncharted 4's Multiplayer Direction.

[ Edited ]
125 replies 984 views Edited May 9, 2013

Hey guys, it has been a while since I've posted, seeing as I've had nothing to contribute really after Classic was released. Anyway, with The Last of Us coming out next month, and the PS4 coming on this Winter, if Naughty Dog are working on UC4, it's going to be in production soon if it isn't already. So we might as well have a thread collecting our ideas of what Uncharted 4 multiplayer and co-op should be. Keep in mind there are no right or wrong answers, just opinions, feel free to post your own.

Kickbacks:

Aggresive!!! / Niche / Defensive 

That describes Uncharted 3's kickback triangle in a nutshell.

I'll keep this short and sweet, I think kickbacks should take a COMPLETELY different direction. In Uncharted 3 most kickbacks are aggresive, giving you power weapons at the press of a button. This simply shouldn't be the case in my opinion, every kickback should be viable and up to the user to decide it's effectiveness. Aggresive/Defensive/Niche, this triangle should be carefully balanced so that the brokeness of Uncharted 3's kickbacks never return.  

Some kickbacks, like quick boom simply shouldn't be in the game at all. While I don't think all offensive kickbacks should be taken out, I do think they should add more medals to activate them. For example, I believe kickbacks like Hammer Time or Shottie! should be at least 16 medals to activate. More defensive kickbacks should obviously be added since UC3 has so few, and I think some kickbacks should be made more useful *cough* EXPLOSIVES/Creepy Crawler/Juggernaut *cough* 

Map design:

I believe the map design in Uncharted 4 should be a bit different from most Uncharted 2-3 maps. I think a design that isn't so open and linear would be better. Many maps are in my opinion, way too straightforward (I'm not saying they aren't good, they just aren't very complex). Open maps usually cause players to be attacked from all sides, which can be incredibly annoying, especially when exploited by clans. Keep in mind, the maps would of course need to be balanced.

My idea of the map design for most maps would be like Yemen or the Facility. What is cool about the maps are that they are polar opposites, one is an enclosed map, the other open and free; they both share a striking similarity though, they are very well layered.  I think the maps should be divided into sectioned layers that aren't so plain and open like most maps, think Gears of War with verticality. What I absolutely love about these maps is how interesting every room is. Each has its own unique section which has a different layout and looks completely differently to the rest of the map. Facility and Yemen are absolutely made for gunfights, supporting every playstyle. Yemen is a prime example of how an open map can be made very balanced and interesting by adding layers to it. That being said having some more open maps would be fine by me, but I would definitely prefer maps to be focused towards a layered design.

Cover (or the lack there of...)

Both Uncharted 2 and 3 both suffer from something that simply should not be, the cover system is completely and utterly broken. Uncharted is a platforming, cover-based shooter. When cover doesn't work half the time, there is a problem. When going into cover is usually a deathtrap, you know the problem is huge. There are quite a few simple fixes to the cover system that would make it much more convenient to use. 

First and most importantly, fix the lag when transitioning into cover. There are heaps of third person online shooters, and I have never seen a single one that kills you almost certainly after you enter cover and are away from the bullets range. Obviously this is a connection based issue, but I know ND can find some ways to help this problem if they really tried. Next, when laying against a wall you're body shouldn't be jutting out way past the piece of wall that's supposed to be protecting you, not to mention moving side to side in cover is slow and sluggish. Seriously, it isn't hard to fix... :smileyvery-happy:

Power Plays:

I know I speak for just about everyone when I say that this should be cancelled in UC4. Power Plays are annoying, and have made many players leave due to how cheap they are, especially Double Damage. Naughty Dog, your game will be not only more enjoyable, but more competitive if you take power plays out. TDM, your most popular playlist should simply, in my opinion be pure killing, nothing more and nothing less.

The rest of this post is a work in progress, I'll update it as I have the time.

tlousig2
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 126 (984 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Re: What direction I think Uncharted 4 multiplayer should take.

May 6, 2013

I really can't see how power plays can be taken out, this game is not like UC2 anymore, it's not for competivie players, but i'd love that they'd take it out. 

For maps design I completely agree,  Facility is a unique map that caters to everybody's gaming style. Sniping blindfiring aiming ect. 

For kickbacks. I wish that quickboom be gone and kickbacks be a bit more cost for medals, to make it much more rare. 

Hewro dere Fake, welcome to the forums again. 

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 126 (971 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

May 6, 2013

I'm sorry if there is mistakes in my writing, im actually playing a plundermatch right now :smileytongue: 

" I did not tell half of what I saw. For i knew i would not be believed " - Marco Polo 1324.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 126 (968 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3233 posts

May 6, 2013

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

I really can't see how power plays can be taken out, this game is not like UC2 anymore, it's not for competivie players, but i'd love that they'd take it out. 

For maps design I completely agree,  Facility is a unique map that caters to everybody's gaming style. Sniping blindfiring aiming ect. 

For kickbacks. I wish that quickboom be gone and kickbacks be a bit more cost for medals, to make it much more rare. 

This game isn't for competitive players? I shouldn't have to explain why that is completely false.

Regardless, a game can cater to both competitive/hardcore and casual players alike.

UC4 map design needs to be predominantly symmetrical and unlike UC3, have balanced power weapon locations.

Powerplays are a multiplayer abomination so I agree they need to go. Kickbacks require a drastic overhaul, I have many ideas on how they could approach the re-balancing. Your proposal of less offensive/pw type Kickbacks is one of the better ones.

LIVESTREAMING The Last of Us and Uncharted 3!

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 126 (958 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 6, 2013

I would love if they removed Power Plays I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to implement this welfare system.

I agree with you on the map designs, plus I would love to see them give us some map tools so we could make BMM's& share amongst the community seeing that Sony is pushing this feature alot with PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 126 (957 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 6, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

This game isn't for competitive players? I shouldn't have to explain why that is completely false.

Regardless, a game can cater to both competitive/hardcore and casual players alike.

UC4 map design needs to be predominantly symmetrical and unlike UC3, have balanced power weapon locations.

Powerplays are a multiplayer abomination so I agree they need to go. Kickbacks require a drastic overhaul, I have many ideas on how they could approach the re-balancing. Your proposal of less offensive/pw type Kickbacks is one of the better ones.

I might add, assumig they continue the UC3 formula of allowing us to customize our loadouts, along with more balanced power weapons locations, I think Power Weapons should not respawn after being used up.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 126 (948 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4892 posts

May 6, 2013
Keep loadouts though. I can't adapt to a whole different gameplay. UC2 to UC3 was difficult to get used to.
 photo enemy_zpsb0542811.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 126 (945 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

May 6, 2013

And bring back Hardcore Mode. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 126 (936 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5838 posts

May 6, 2013

Facility is one of my most hated maps :smileysad: If anything I would want at least some maps being more focused on platforming and traversal. Although with that in mind, climbing and jumping will have to be improved for sure. something like a large scale wall where you can have pistol shootouts and such. As well as offering climbing as a total alternative for accessing certain areas etc. since as of now, most maps have minimal climbing in maps and ones that are heavily influenced with verticality need some work.

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 126 (930 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3233 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:
I might add, assumig they continue the UC3 formula of allowing us to customize our loadouts, along with more balanced power weapons locations, I think Power Weapons should not respawn after being used up.

That would only promote camping, power weapons are important to balance though many don't realize it.

LIVESTREAMING The Last of Us and Uncharted 3!

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 126 (927 Views)
0 Likes