PlayStation MVP
3217 posts

Re: What direction I think Uncharted 4 multiplayer should take.

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

It was in Tomb Raider. And though it is obvious that the MP is a bit below average. The PWs (though there were only 2) were randomly placed in the map and that was like 1 of the very very very very very few things I feel that multiplayer did decently.

I understand the reasoning, it's just not a good idea for a MP as a whole. To draw a comparison, Multi-Marked Man is what hurts Team OBJ as a competitive mode due to the fact that each time the Marked Man is killed the next marked player is completely random. Some consistency is required else luck factors too much into gameplay [and ultimately, the results of a match].

LIVESTREAMING The Last of Us and Uncharted 3!

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 126 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
211 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

tripleWRECK wrote:

Huskers1598 wrote:

Although I agree that powerplays are unfair in their current form, I think they were a great idea and could be done better in UC4. You're right that almost everyone on the forum wants them taken out, but people on the forum are more likely the better players in UC3 who play in parties. Therfore, they are victims of powerplays more often than recievers. Think about all the relatively new players in UC3 who play alone. In UC3, when you play alone, you lose a lot, and powerplays might be the only thing that gives you a chance to get your team ahead. I think they should keep powerplays in UC4 if and only if: 1.) The difference in score required to start a powerplay increases (right now it's only 6)

2.) The powerplay stops before the losing team has a chance to tie the game, for example if they get within 5 kills before the timer runs out.

That is poor reasoning for keeping one of the worst multiplayer ideas ever implemented. A far better solution for the the "new/bad player" argument is simply adding a mercenary playlist with no parties.

Adding a mercenary playlist has benifits, but it would split up the player pool more. I only mentioned the good side for new players above, but if those 2 things were changed it would help the better players also. They're rewarded 2x cash, just like it is now, but without giving up the lead. Not only do they get double cash, but they get a closer game. Personally, I don't even like being in a game where my team is ahead by 20+ points. I would rather it be somewhat close. And Maybe 5 kills is too small, and the powerplay should stop when the score is within 6-8. My point is powerplays can benefit both sides.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 126 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
211 posts

May 6, 2013
On the subject of UC4, if anyone wants a potential hint at it, I would recommend giving a kudo to the top comment on page 3 of the Q&A thread. (Fred's question) It's unlikely they would hint anything, but you never know.
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 126 (285 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1016 posts

May 6, 2013

LifeLongFrenzy wrote:

I'm sorry if there is mistakes in my writing, im actually playing a plundermatch right now :smileytongue: 

Wow, I've never been in a Plunder match THAT competitive in a while. :smileyvery-happy:

Joel's has superhuman hearing due to his integrated Astro A40's :3
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 126 (280 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3217 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

Huskers1598 wrote:

Adding a mercenary playlist has benifits, but it would split up the player pool more. I only mentioned the good side for new players above, but if those 2 things were changed it would help the better players also. They're rewarded 2x cash, just like it is now, but without giving up the lead. Not only do they get double cash, but they get a closer game. Personally, I don't even like being in a game where my team is ahead by 20+ points. I would rather it be somewhat close. And Maybe 5 kills is too small, and the powerplay should stop when the score is within 6-8. My point is powerplays can benefit both sides.

We're talking about UC4 here, player pool splitting won't be an issue.

Good players don't play Uncharted MP for cash or to level up. In addition, the amount of bonus cash you currently get during PowerPlays is ridiculously low (at least for Exposed and Double Damage).

Good players don't want want closer games due to PowerPlays because they're not actually closer games, the score line is simply being augmented by unfair handicaps. 

If closer, competitive games are what you want then we should be pushing for a true ranking system that pairs you against players of similar skill instead of experience.

PowerPlays are a welfare system for players/teams who are not good or are new to the game. On principle alone PowerPlays undermine the very idea of fair competition. There's a reason you don't see PowerPlay-esue systems in other games or sports.

Regardless of the reason, it is not the game's job to help you do better. If you're not having fun because you're losing frequently it's up to you to learn the game, improve your abilities, and find people to play with. If not, there is always co-op, FFA, and a possible mercenary playlist to keep you occupied.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 126 (276 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
211 posts

May 6, 2013
I understand where you're coming from. And I forgot to mention, I also agree that double damage should not be a power play no matter what else is changed. Matching players by skill would be great. It would eliminate the need for powerplays. You said it's not the games job to make you do better, and I think you're right. It's the games job to make you have fun. We have different ideas of fun, yours being a more competitive standpoint. It all comes down to what the majority wants. It's obvious that the majority doesn't like how powerplays work now, so it'll be interesting to see how they change it
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 126 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
697 posts

May 6, 2013

@ Fakehound

It's great to see some more contructive threads! I think one major thing that needs to be addressed is MOBILITY. And by mobility I mean sprint, wack-n-roll, and tap-a-nade. Anything that speeds up the gameplay. This is, IMO, the greatest difference between UC2 and UC3, even more than loadouts.

I guess I'll give my opinion. I love the increase in mobility. I hope that sprint makes a return in UC4 (and I'm almost sure it will), as well as wack-n-roll, tap-a-nade, and the ability to drop grenades (although outragiously/hilariously unrealistic :smileyvery-happy:). On a related note, I've heard a lot of people say that they prefer UC2 to UC3 and I'm wondering if that includes their different mobilities. Anyway, I hope UC4 takes the direction that UC3 tried to take but failed. UC2 might have been a better product, but I think that the ideas and direction in UC3 were better than UC2 (execution is what lacked). 

2nd, LOADOUTS. 

This is also a big issue for UC4. Personally, I love these too. Yes, the balance at launch was very poor, but I think the guns currently are very balanced (yes the M9 is balanced, it's overused because people haven't realised that other guns work too :smileytongue:). Anyway, I hope weapon variety in UC4 is expanded. However, if ND does not intend for this game to be a competitive game then they should go back to a UC2, pick-up style system. If they want it to be competitive then they should spend the time and balance the weapons (I think they tried to do that, but they just ran out of time. Next time they should take the time they need). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 126 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5392 posts

May 6, 2013

The M9 is a problem, like it or not.

If they do come back with loadouts and have a Jack-Of-Trades gun in mind, then it better be a real Jack-Of-Trades gun.

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 126 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1791 posts

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

The best way I can describe TDM is pure chaos.

There's so many system trying to control the game that the pure part of shooting dudes with primary weapons has gone out the window.

Power Plays

Agreed, need to go. No point even talking about them it's just rediculous how that idea made it passed the first design meeting.

Maps

I fear with what they're currently putting out with the lab maps, that the direction has gone completely asymmetrical. Balanced symmetrical maps have been left behind for more interesting looking map designs that would work better in SP. Not holding my breath for UC4 being any different.

Kickbacks

Great idea but it would be much better if they only gave defensive bonuses. Having power weapon kickbacks was a very lazy design choice and took away the focus from controling power weapons on the map. On top of that being able to spawn a one hit kill weapon further limits the gunfights in this game because whenever a challenge shows itself you press up and spawn an RPG out your arse.

Ever possible measure has been taken to reduce 1v1 skilled gunfights from happening in UC3. Hope this changes in UC4.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 126 (208 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3217 posts

May 6, 2013
Pete gets it.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 126 (187 Views)
0 Likes