Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Re: Updated with Answers! **Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: January Edition**

Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the answers Smiley Wink

Looking forward to #4, #7 and #10 Smiley Wink

I'll miss air walk, but I guess it'll make matches more fair Smiley Sad

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 131 of 200 (489 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3802 posts

Re: Updated with Answers! **Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: January Edition**

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

Another great Q&A thread....

Spoiler

NOT!

Funny that they didn't say anything about the technical fixes in the last thread, even though I asked that, but they did now.

Message 132 of 200 (464 Views)
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 15, 2013
why could ye only answer 10 Questions ??

- there was only 12/13 pages and only a handful of answer worthy Qs.
i really find that annoying because it didnt even take me 5 mins to go through all 12 pages and pick the good questions.
Message 133 of 200 (440 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
793 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Am I the only one that thinks this Q&A was a waste of time? I bet they answered these in only 5 min....

www.youtube.com/user/artennos - my new channel!

New PSN: Artennos

Message 134 of 200 (437 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1505 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Wow they really put no thought into these answers. It's like they try telling us what we don't want to hear.
Message 135 of 200 (434 Views)
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 15, 2013
ill say it again, if we dont ask any questions (in the Q & A thread) then they will get the message.
Message 136 of 200 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2348 posts

Jan 15, 2013

these were actually good answers this time, instead of saying no, we can't do this x10 they actually hinted at a few things

Message 137 of 200 (409 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: **Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: January Edition**

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

I'll try to be objective: this is the best Q&A so far! Lots of interesting tidbits. Thank you ND.

Now I'd appreciate some clarifications:

Trawnza wrote:

6.  Can you please explain the Matchmaking process in Multiplayer? (ironsword7)

Matchmaking goes through a series of nine steps. Each step has three criteria that must be met in order to join a game.  They are geo radius, ping and rank filter.  All three criteria start small and increase with each step. The second to last step searches for a game under 200 ping only and the last step has no criteria and just finds any game regardless of any criteria. 

7.  Will you please give us the option to install Multiplayer to hard disk? (SheenuTheLegend)

Hmmm. Good idea. Ask again in a couple of weeks. J

8.  Do you plan on releasing all dlc maps for free? (Huskers1598)

Not at this time. It’s possible it’ll happen in the future but we are releasing all our Block Mesh Lab maps for free in the Lab playlists and will continue to do so. Block Mesh Lab maps will soon be available for longer periods of time in the future. If things change we’ll let you know.

9.  How many players are still playing the multiplayer worldwide today? (FredFai)

Ballpark figures we tend to see over half a million players every month but this changes from month to month, of course. 

6) I thought that geo radius and ping was essentially the same thing? The further away you live from a player, the higher your ping/latency will be. Am I wrong?

Or do you mean that geo radius is dependent on your SKU code of the UC3 disc? i.e. BCES-01176 for EU, BCUS-98233 for US and so on.

I hope that's not the case, because MANY people import games from other regions! i.e. someone in Middle East could have a US disc.

Also, can you tell us the correlation between bars and milliseconds?

Does it work this way? -> 5 bars = 1-100ms
4 bars = 101-200ms
3 bars = 201-300ms
2 bars = 301-400ms

1 bar = 401-500ms or more

Please clarify Eric.

7) Considering the fact that EvangM had told me back in the Subway beta that they don't plan to implement an optional HDD install, it's confirmed: UC3 F2P is coming soon (TM) and you will be able to install it on your HDD! Smiley Happy

8) OK, I expect free UC3 DLC maps when UC4 is announced. There are rumours that Sony might announce the PS4 in the GDC (March), late May or early June (E3).

9) 500k monthly players, which means as long as you login ONCE every month, then it counts a separate player. I wonder how many of those are alts...

Can you give us some daily or online figures? Monthly is not very accurate.

Thanks again in advance!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 138 of 200 (389 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Jan 15, 2013
^#9 I was thinking the exact same thing xD

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 139 of 200 (359 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1483 posts

Re: **Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: January Edition**

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

Trawnza wrote:

Please remember to post up one question per reply. AGAIN we’re going to ignore your questions if you have more than one in reply or post up multiple replies in a row. Otherwise we don’t really know what question is getting the most kudos and we might not be answering the question you want answered or the one the community has given the most kudos.

1. Will ROF ever have a nerf? (Blooddrunk123)

We evaluate the weapon mod balance as the matches continue to roll along. We feel we’re in a pretty good spot with it right now.

Real Answer: We have no idea what you/ we are talking about. The M9 RoF is in now way unbalanced, stop kidding yourselves!

2.  Will the dead body glitch ever be completely fixed? (Matthewsike1st)

We are working on this. It’s something that will be fixed in a future patch. The airwalking glitch will be addressed as well.

Real Answer: We will find a way to fix avoid the Dead body glitch from happening. Regarding the air walking glitch we decided to completely remove high-fives to "patch" it.

3.  Do you have any technical fixes we can expect in the upcoming patch? (tack129)

Yes. We’ll detail them once it launches.

Real Answer: A dedicated patch for technical fixes should come out around the time "The Last of Us" launches. Keep checking the blog for more "The Last of Us" details around that time too!

4.  What will we expect for 2013 as of dlc? (lII-Venom-lII)

There are a slew of new character parts heading your way. We’ll have some information on these in the coming months.

Real Answer: There are a slew of new character parts heading your way. We’ll have some information on these in the coming year.

5.  In this video, TW describes my problem with aiming (and aim assist specifically) perfectly. Can please you tweak aiming? (B_Smiley)

We continue to look at ways we can tweak and improve the gameplay for multiplayer but we have reached a point at which we feel the aim assist works well for almost all players. We won’t be adjusting it at this time.

Real Answer: We will never adjust aim assist again after we completely messed with it even though it was perfect in the summer beta because we think new players couldn't handle it very well even though it gets more in the way than it helps. The Dragon Sniper would be to strong then and destroy the current balanced M9 RoF dominated metagame. It just makes sense. That's also why we uploaded that FL video on Uncharted TV because we wanted to show our community that they can send UC3 releated questions to these specific players to ask more about UC3 MP mechanics. We hope you understand!

6.  Can you please explain the Matchmaking process in Multiplayer? (ironsword7)

Matchmaking goes through a series of nine steps. Each step has three criteria that must be met in order to join a game.  They are geo radius, ping and rank filter.  All three criteria start small and increase with each step. The second to last step searches for a game under 200 ping only and the last step has no criteria and just finds any game regardless of any criteria. 

Real Answer: Our game uses P2P and has no dedicated servers.The reason is to keep the costs down and give you a near lag-free MP experience. We hope you understand.

7.  Will you please give us the option to install Multiplayer to hard disk? (SheenuTheLegend)

Hmmm. Good idea. Ask again in a couple of weeks. J

Real Answer: Expect UC3 MP to go F2P at the end of march or beginning of April (1st) at the latest. Our limited resources and money didn't allow us to push it out at the end of january as initially planned.

8.  Do you plan on releasing all dlc maps for free? (Huskers1598)

Not at this time. It’s possible it’ll happen in the future but we are releasing all our Block Mesh Lab maps for free in the Lab playlists and will continue to do so. Block Mesh Lab maps will soon be available for longer periods of time in the future. If things change we’ll let you know.

Real Answer: That's pretty low down on our list because we can't even get the ingame store to work again and we had some coding problems trying to bundle the current DLC so don't expect any sales soon.

9.  How many players are still playing the multiplayer worldwide today? (FredFai)

Ballpark figures we tend to see over half a million players every month but this changes from month to month, of course.

Real Answer: Around 15000 players a day.

10.  Can you please make the 3rd booster trick available for the DLC skin variants? (shadowlibraboy)

We put the Easter egg of the 3rd booster trick in for the main skin because we want them to either be rare or limited but since we have so many more skins available then were thought we would we’re considering adding it for more skins in the future. We’ll let you know if we do. 

Real Answer: We decided to give all 20th Drake variants (20th? Look out for more info in the coming months Smiley Wink) different 3rd boosters instead of giving them all the same. We have no plans to give the alternate skins of other characters (Desert Talbot, Winter Elena,...)  3rd booster combinations at this time.

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 140 of 200 (358 Views)