Jan 14 2014
By: kobrafan79 First Son 24 posts

What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

356 replies 528 views Edited Jan 14, 2014
First off im not trying to diss on Uncharted in any way. Im just sharing my thoughts on what i think uncharted could learn from its closest relative on the xbox.

The first thing it could learn from g.o.w. is transitioning in and out of cover. Unlike uncharted gears doesnt leave you open when you enter or leave cover. Its very fast and very deliberate plus your head doesnt pop up over the wall so the cant head shot you unless they are high above you. When you exit out of cover in gears you exit it fast and ready to shot whereas Uncharted you just sluggishy move aroumd the corner. A cover based shooter that punishes you for going into cover cant be a good cover based shooter wether its singleplayer or multiplayer. Gears cover tranistions are also so smooth they are a form of defense all in there own which is why gears has wall bouncing.

The way power weapons are placed in the world would also help U.C. By having set power weapon spawns but randomizing what shows up promotes on the fly thinking and discourages camping . Those are just my thoughts feel free to discuss id love to hear your opinions.
Message 1 of 357 (528 Views)
Survivor
2689 posts

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

agreed, UC2's cover is much better though - it should be like that, but i think it should even better - like it is in slingle player so that you can round 90 degre corners without having to leave cover and expose yourself.

blindfire should also be more accurate when in cover compared to not, and aiming from cover should have less recoil/bullet spread and slightly more Stopping Power.
More use of cover could only be good.

i do think having a bit of the head exposed is a good idea though - where you can hit it with scoped weapons like dragon gmal but not with unscoped like the AK.

Random Power Weapons sounds good.

Message 2 of 357 (523 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Jan 14, 2014

Yes and no. The cover system might be a bit inconsistent, but IMO, it was very well suited. Although GOW does have a more "stickier" feel for the cover system. I don't really like the way you run in GOW though Smiley Tongue

young beard signature
Message 3 of 357 (522 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 14, 2014
I think the roadie run is also better than uc3's atrocious sprint. It does what sprint is supposed to do. It gets you where you need to go more quickly when not in danger and you can use it to haul **bleep** out of a bad situation but its almostimpossible to use as a offensive tactic because the way blindfire works doesnt permit it to be used as an offensive tactic.
Message 4 of 357 (520 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Jan 14, 2014

Can't help. Never played GOW.

Message 5 of 357 (514 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3303 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

Sprint is okay in UC3 all it need is a bit more tweaking but GoW & Uncharted are different except for both being 3rd person cover based shooters.

The way sprint works in GoW suits that game, the way sprint works in UC3 suits the game cool down time needs to be extended to prevent it from being spammed like we all do now but otherwise it's good, people might still say the turn radius & manueverability is still a bit too arcadish but I think it works because of how CQC most maps are. (Just my opinion)

I agree about cover though it's completely useless 99.9% of the time. I fear going in cover because most times it's a death sentence lol. Also maybe they should go with the sticky cover system like TLOU or TR uses instead off assigning it to 'O' which tends to get me killed alot because sometimes you try to roll away from cover but the game can't decide what you want to do because of mechanics assigned to the same button clashing. 

Cover transition certainly needs a complete overhaul & heads should not be left exposed totally defeats the purpose.

Also I agree Power Weapons spawns should be random & I think they should continue what they started on Maps like Airstrip, Oasis, City of Brass where interactive events will spawn a random power weapon after a certain amount of time has passed instead of giving them all out right at the start.

Message 6 of 357 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3511 posts

Jan 14, 2014

I like heads exposed, makes sniping fun, I do agree that cover is pretty useless, but I don't agree that speeding up cover animations is the solution, what I think is a mighty fine idea is that you have increased accuracy when shooting from cover, it makes perfect sense, because you can lean at something so you have more stability and therefore can better adapt to the recoil of your weapon, so I would say get rid of the accuracy mod (and rate of fire mod, but that has nothing to do with this thread), and then basically give that accuracy boost that normally that mod would provide and instead make it boost accuracy when shooting from cover, I bet people are going to use cover a whole of a lot more, having the advantage of steadier aim, but it's not overpowered because you are an easier target, also get rid of fleet foot and I bet cover is as usefull as it can be, as it should be, I don't like this fast paced crap introduced in Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2 1.04 slow paced gameplay was much better Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 357 (493 Views)
Fender Bender
3303 posts

Jan 14, 2014

Heads should only be exposed if you are at a vantage point where you can see the person who is actually in cover. I should not be able to line up a perfectly good head shot while being on the same level as a person in cover.

Message 8 of 357 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Jan 14, 2014
Yes I have had that done to and have done that as well. Very funny.
Sleep Matt signature
Message 9 of 357 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

headshoting someone behind cover is fine imo (especially if there are grenade throwbacks) as long as its only possible with a scoped weapon (or there is a hole in the cover), it gives a more accurate weapon the advantage and incentive to use.

more brakable cover would be nice.

faster cover animations would be great.

Message 10 of 357 (463 Views)
0 Likes