Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2850 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

SteepMatt wrote:
Actually no one is abusing needs to shoot anything. For that there are other games like GTA, COD, among others.

some kids are not allowed by their parents to get those games, Uncharted is rated T, so they go shoot stuff in that game instead, I gave multiple arguments now that the game is not a shooter, and even playstation itself says it's an action adventure and it doesn't even advertise the shooting mechanics, you choose to play the game that way, well I choose to not play the game that way, but it is an action/adventure, a game is in the genre the developers envisioned it to be, I like to hide the propane tanks in the Uncharted multiplayer maps and then go play hide and seek with a friend with them, so now suddenly Uncharted is a hide and seek game, just because propane tanks and hiding spots are all over the place, as how ridiculous as that sounds, it's just the same idea...

Please use plain text.
Message 91 of 357 (263 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2850 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

Blennerville wrote:
Children please (why dont ye start a new thread about what genre Uncharted is, and we can derail that) back to the subject matter.

hey, I'm defending your argument here, I thought it was nice for you to know that you are not the only one with a brain :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 92 of 357 (261 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/29/2011
Online
7066 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014
As stated before under genre it clearly states action/adventure, platforming and 3rd person shooter. Everyone here is seeing that it's emphasis is on 3rd person shooting combat, that is why you are put in those scenarios for most of the games. It was you who decided not to use the guns in the scenarios that you are supposed to use guns lol.
Sleep Matt signature
Please use plain text.
Message 93 of 357 (257 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 08/04/2011
Offline
2668 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
Children please (why dont ye start a new thread about what genre Uncharted is, and we can derail that) back to the subject matter.

hey, I'm defending your argument here, I thought it was nice for you to know that you are not the only one with a brain :smileyhappy:


 

 

And thats why I kudoed

 

:smileywink:

( I didnt buy 3 Uncharted games to play a cover based shooter, I bought them to play an action adventure game - just like the movie Romancing The Stone - which UC basically is and GT even says in Drakes Fortune's review)

I would like to discuss cover mechanics at some point though.

Please use plain text.
Message 94 of 357 (256 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2850 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

SteepMatt wrote:
As stated before under genre it clearly states action/adventure, platforming and 3rd person shooter. (it doesn't...) Everyone here is seeing that it's emphasis is on 3rd person shooting combat, that is why you are put in those scenarios for most of the games. It was you who decided not to use the guns in the scenarios that you are supposed to use guns lol.

ok, let me say that that is just wrong, let's use Uncharted 3 as an example:

 

- another round (no gunplay)

- greatness from small beginnings (no gunplay)

- second story work (no gunplay)

- run to ground (no gunplay)

- london underground (75% shoot outs)

- chateau (25% shoot outs)

- stay in the light (no gunplay)

- the citadel (you are supposed to play this entire part stealthily, the game even punishes you (by sending in more guards) if you start a shootout)

- the middle way (no gunplay)

- historical research (no gunplay)

- as above, so below (only one section of gunplay when leaving the place, let's say 10% gunplay)

- abducted (this chapter has a lot of shooting, so let's say that this is a shoot out chapter)

- rough seas (75% shootouts)

- cruisin for a bruisin (a big set piece moment with some stealth and some shootouts, let's say 50% shootouts)

- sink or swim (no gunplay)

- one shot at this (you are supposed to play this entire part stealthily, the game even punishes you (by sending in more guards) if you start a shootout

- stow away (no gunplay)

- the rub al khali (no gunplay)

- the settlement (this chapter has a lot of shooting, so let's say that this is a shoot out chapter)

- caravan (this chapter has a lot of shooting, so let's say that this is a shoot out chapter)

- the atlantis of the sands (75% gunplay)

- the dreamers of the day (50% gunplay)

 

so there are 12 chapters without gunplay! and from the other 10 only 6 are chapters with here and there a shootout, and only 3 of those are chapters that have mostly only shootouts (which you still can choose not to shoot but melee instead, but whatever...), if this isn't proof I don't know what is...

Please use plain text.
Message 95 of 357 (238 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/29/2011
Online
7066 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014
So that is you're argument? They are trying to balance the adventure with the gunplay. Check Uncharted 1 and 2 why didn't you do those? You only did 3 . And 2nd it says on Wikipedia, IGN, GameSpot, everywhere actually. Those are the genres of the Uncharted series.
Sleep Matt signature
Please use plain text.
Message 96 of 357 (235 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2012
Offline
2411 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

SteepMatt wrote:
Matthijs the game is a cover base shooter. Every new game they work better on the cover and combat mechanics. Yes it is a platforming adventurer as well but it's main emphasis is cover based combat. Of course, you only did that stuff to challenge yourself more, but it doesn't mean that's what it is.

the official playstation website says that it's an action/adventure, not a third person shooter (or cover based shooter as you call it), on top of that, in the description they don't even mention gunplay, just because all you guys are like: SPRINT, SEE OPPONENT, PEW PEW PEW, doesn't mean it is a shooter, you are the guys that play the game wrong, not me:

Nathan Drake sets out on a quest for the fabled Atlantis of the Sands on PlayStation 3.

  • Nathan Drake can now take on opponents in more ways than before: hand-to-hand combat with multiple opponents, contextual melee attacks and new stealth options.
  • Competitive and co-op multiplayer return with brand new experiences and massively expanded feature sets. The Uncharted universe provides a unique multiplayer experience, for the first time bringing the exciting cinematic elements of the single player campaign into multiplayer.
  • Award-winning storytelling and blockbuster cinematic action sequences. Combining story with dramatic action sequences and a thrilling pace, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception delivers an interactive cinematic experience that blurs the line between games and Hollywood films.
  • New locations, new challenges, stunning environmental detail. Nathan Drake's journey takes you to a variety of spectacular locations around the world from Europe to the Middle East.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/games/detail/item328374/Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception%E2%84%A2/

edit: on top of that, if you look at the trailers, you always see the platforming and melee stuff, you never see Nate shooting stuff, just because a game has guns, doesn't make it a shooter, Little Big Planet has a paintball gun, I guess that's a shooter too :smileyindifferent:


Little Big Planet allows you to make different genres, not a good example.
Uncharted is still a cover shooter, gunplay & cover is at its core.
The description given by playstation is simply to sell the game to all audiences not just to people who wants a shooter. Come on dude.

funny you say that because the mentality of most people who buy games is just to shoot people trough the head...

 

and little big planet doesn't allow you to make genres, little big planet 2 allows you to make genres, little big planet 1 just let's you make platformers...

 

and in Uncharted the gunplay and cover is not at it's core, at least the gunplay sure isn't, sure the cover is a big part of the gameplay, but you forgot that it's just as important for stealth as it is for shooting, the cover isn't just there to sit behind and taking shots at opponents, again, just because you and many others just use it for that doesn't mean the game is a shooter, just because all guys (except me) use the internet to look for porn does not make the web a place invented for perverts, you guys are just abusing it, just like you are abusing Uncharted for your need of shooting stuff...


Can you present me with your statics to back up this mentality claim? 

 

And if you want to differentiate LBP1 & 2 fine. I've only ever played LBP2 because of PS+ so i'm basing my opinion on my experience.

 

Stealth isn't a huge part of the core gameplay & it certainly isn't as important as cover & shooting. Some scenarios start out with you trying to be stealthy but it will simply lead to a gun battle. Stealth is an option for those wanting to challenge themselves but there is absolutely no consequence to getting spotted since it's easier to face them head on.  

 

The game is a shooter 90% of the in game statistics tracks your gunplay actions. And Your porn analogy is a bust.

 

and LOL @ us abusing Uncharted, I guess I can say based off that sentence ur also abusing ur freedom of speech here. 

Please use plain text.
Message 97 of 357 (231 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 08/04/2011
Offline
2668 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Message 98 of 357 (231 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2850 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

Blennerville wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
Children please (why dont ye start a new thread about what genre Uncharted is, and we can derail that) back to the subject matter.

hey, I'm defending your argument here, I thought it was nice for you to know that you are not the only one with a brain :smileyhappy:


 

 

And thats why I kudoed

 

:smileywink:

( I didnt buy 3 Uncharted games to play a cover based shooter, I bought them to play an action adventure game - just like the movie Romancing The Stone - which UC basically is and GT even says in Drakes Fortune's review)

I would like to discuss cover mechanics at some point though.


ok, now that I proofed the **bleep** out of the fact that it's an action adventure, we can discuss the cover mechanics, I think they got worse in Uncharted 3 after Uncharted 2, the cover stealth takedowns look way worse in Uncharted 3 and for some reason Nate stands up when transitioning from cover to cover (in a 90 degree turn), which worked perfectly in Uncharted 2, also in Uncharted 4 they added the melee grab, which is also a circle button option, which is very annoying, because sometimes I want to sit in cover next to an opponent, but Nate will grab the opponent instead...

 

when it comes to multiplayer, cover needs to boost gun accuracy, because then peopl will use cover more, and it makes sense, leaning against something improves aim, strafing needs to be less effective to so that people will use cover more, sprint needs to be removed because the game needs to be slower paced, like it was in Uncharted 2, destructable cover needs to make it's return and non-destructable cover needs to protect you more, not always leave your head exposed (not always because you have to give the snipers some fun), and that's basically it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 99 of 357 (229 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2850 posts
 

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

Jan 16, 2014

SteepMatt wrote:
So that is you're argument? They are trying to balance the adventure with the gunplay. Check Uncharted 1 and 2 why didn't you do those? You only did 3 . And 2nd it says on Wikipedia, IGN, GameSpot, everywhere actually. Those are the genres of the Uncharted series.

yeah, because wikipedia is really a reliable source...

 

and yes I took Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2 has the same shooting to non-shooting ratio, and Uncharted Drake's Fortune had a lot more shooting, but that's what you do as a developer, you improve on the games that came before, so it makes only sense to take Uncharted 3 as an example, doesn't it?

Please use plain text.
Message 100 of 357 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes