Survivor
2689 posts

Re: What Uncharted could learn from gears of wars

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
The point is that GOW is a military game. Its a 3rd person military cover based shooter.
Uncharted is an Action Adventure game. Its a 3rd person platformer with shooting and adventure.
Apart from being 3rd person they are completely different.

I'm sorry but LOL at you putting platforming over shooting for Uncharted.

Uncharted is a 3rd person cover based shooter with basic watered down platforming. 

LOL, who thinks cover based shooter when they think of UC. Its an action adventure game - its all about the adventure of looking for the treasure and the platforming is a big part of that - its like the original Tomb Raiders, just with more action and bad guys and its easier. GOW and Spec Ops The Line are cover based shooters. UC has cover but its not that important compared to GOW.

This is supposed to be about better cover mechanics - can we get back on topic.

Message 61 of 357 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

I was just playing some UC2 MP last night and I remembered that there was a tutorial in The Museum section of the SP where it teaches you how to transition from one side of cover to the adjacent side. You just go to the corner and hold O and you go to the adjacent wall (90 degree turn).

I used to never use it though, i did it my own way - I used to do it manually by pressing O to exit cover and go quickly around to the adjacent side and press O quickly to enter cover again - I used to do that a lot when getting flanked in the MP.

I actually didnt think thay you could do it automatically just like in SP but you can by holding O when at the corner.
i just tried it and it works LOL, not sure if its in UC3 though.

Message 62 of 357 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 16, 2014
The problem Uncharted has with cover is that; roll and cover are the same button.

After playing some UC1 I cant figure why they didnt keep that cover transition - where when you press O and transition from one piece of cover to another you roll across to the other cover instead of gliding.

I said it before - You should roll into cover instead of gliding/sliding. It should reduce how much you are exposed when entering cover.
Also when you press O while moving - the first thing you do should be roll and if you keep O held down during the roll and there is cover there then you enter it.
Its pritty simple really and it should eliminate most of the cases where - you want to roll but instead end up gliding into cover where you get stuck and killed.

Hopefully with the touchpad on the PS4 it will free up some room for button combinations.
I would love for sprint to be either L2/R2 or else a face button. Maybe cover could be a seperate button.
Message 63 of 357 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3248 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Blennerville wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
The point is that GOW is a military game. Its a 3rd person military cover based shooter.
Uncharted is an Action Adventure game. Its a 3rd person platformer with shooting and adventure.
Apart from being 3rd person they are completely different.

I'm sorry but LOL at you putting platforming over shooting for Uncharted.

Uncharted is a 3rd person cover based shooter with basic watered down platforming. 

LOL, who thinks cover based shooter when they think of UC. Its an action adventure game - its all about the adventure of looking for the treasure and the platforming is a big part of that - its like the original Tomb Raiders, just with more action and bad guys and its easier. GOW and Spec Ops The Line are cover based shooters. UC has cover but its not that important compared to GOW.

This is supposed to be about better cover mechanics - can we get back on topic.

Everyone thinks of Uncharted as a cover based shooter because that's what it is. You can play the entire campaign & ignore the treasure collecting aspect you cannot play or beat the games without utilizing cover. Also it has platforming elements but it's main focus has always been on cover & shooting, platforming is quite basic in Uncharted... climb a wall, jump from a roof, climb a rope, swing across then grab a ledge.

Message 64 of 357 (267 Views)
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 16, 2014
^^ back to topic please
Message 65 of 357 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11216 posts

Jan 16, 2014
We have to clear some misinformation first..

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 66 of 357 (260 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7532 posts

Jan 16, 2014
What's the misinformation? And by the way this thread is getting a little off-topic and out of hand....
Sleep Matt signature
Message 67 of 357 (256 Views)
Naughty Paw
11216 posts

Jan 16, 2014
The misinformation is that Uncharted is not a cover based shooter.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 68 of 357 (252 Views)
Fender Bender
3248 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Everyone basically agreed cover in Uncharted needs to be overhauled, what exactly is there left to discuss?

Message 69 of 357 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3248 posts

Jan 16, 2014

AKyemeni wrote:
The misinformation is that Uncharted is not a cover based shooter.

It's a treasure hunting platformer & Drake just carries around guns & grenades to add more weight to him so he can platform better.

Message 70 of 357 (249 Views)